Let's make a Cave Story flash?

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:16 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I've been thinking... We should try to make a Cave Story animation. Does anyone know how to use flash? (I don't. XD) And we might need some great animator. I'll stop being bossy. See you guys tomorrow! (I'm tired:mahin:)

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:50 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's not going to happen.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wasn't this already discussed?

Feb 5, 2011 at 2:06 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There are some "I made this half-a-flash" and "I want to make this flash" but I don't think a "Make me a flash".

Anyway we haven't got anybody here who can or will animate. Therefore it will not work. Simple as that.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
*coughIcanuseFlashcough*
i just can't draw worth a shit and don't want to use spriterips for it because of the sprites themselves.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:46 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I don't think that Daisuke Amaya would want us remaking Cave Story anyway, it could potentially hurt the Wiiware sales (and thus the person that created CS, too). Also, after the Wiiware version was announced, he requested anyone making ports of the game to cease operations out of fear that it would breach his contract if they were allowed to continue on.

Out of respect, I don't think anyone should try re-creating the game engine for at least another year or two, unless they have received a reply from Pixel himself and can prove that said reply was not faked.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
They're talking about an animation, not a flash remake.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Oh, I see. My bad.

Feb 5, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Fawking Ninjas

T3mp0 said:
I don't think that Daisuke Amaya would want us remaking Cave Story anyway, it could potentially hurt the Wiiware sales (and thus the person that created CS, too).
The problem with that theory is that Pixel never made Cave Story for the money. It was originally, and still can be, free.
I also doubt the skills {No offense, but it'd take a ton of work} here would be able to complete a Flash that would rival Cave Story for the Wii. Otherwise, how would it hurt the sales?
T3mp0 said:
Also, after the Wiiware version was announced, he requested anyone making ports of the game to cease operations out of fear that it would breach his contract if they were allowed to continue on.
This doesn't have to be a direct port, no one said it was, yet. It could just be based on Cave Story, like various mods we already have.
T3mp0 said:
Out of respect, I don't think anyone should try re-creating the game engine for at least another year or two, unless they have received a reply from Pixel himself and can prove that said reply was not faked.
Also, if you had read the first post fully, it said Cave Story Animation, not game, so none of this even matters.
Darnit, Noxid, let me proof-read myself first...

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:10 PM
Re: Fawking Ninjas

VoidMage_Lowell said:
The problem with that theory is that Pixel never made Cave Story for the money. It was originally, and still can be, free.

Mostly due to a basic Grandfather Clause and contract agreement on both ends, I doubt that if the Wii version came out first, that Pixel would have been allowed to distribute a PC version for free unless he received explicit permission.

VoidMage_Lowell said:

I also doubt the skills {No offense, but it'd take a ton of work} here would be able to complete a Flash that would rival Cave Story for the Wii. Otherwise, how would it hurt the sales?

There are several ways that it could hurt sales, it could be graphically superior to either version. (And that is pretty easy in today's age, we are at the point where indie/hobby programmers can make something of amazing quality for fun, without needing an extensive amount of equipment or a large team)

It could have features that neither have, new weapons, new characters, you name it, if it can get a download, it could also potentially cost a purchase of a parrallel version, and, of course, whatever's the newest version is going to typically get the most attention by people getting into the series, which could distract potential customers away from the Wii/DSi version.

VoidMage_Lowell said:
This doesn't have to be a direct port, no one said it was, yet. It could just be based on Cave Story, like various mods we already have.

The difference being that those are based off of Cave Story directly, not recreating an engine, much less the whole game.

VoidMage_Lowell said:

Also, if you had read the first post fully, it said Cave Story Animation, not game, so none of this even matters.

I made a mistake, I usually associate Flash with games more than I do with animation, so I ended up missing the use of the latter when I went to reply.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
This really got blown out of proportion

T3mp0 said:
Mostly due to a basic Grandfather Clause and contract agreement on both ends, I doubt that if the Wii version came out first, that Pixel would have been allowed to distribute a PC version for free unless he received explicit permission.
And I doubt Pixel would have even done the WiiWare version if he couldn't still offer the free one on PC.
Pixel only did Cave Story as a hobby thing, he really wasn't aiming for the money. If he was worried about losing sales, he'd've remove the PC version first. Or simply sold it in the first place.

T3mp0 said:
There are several ways that it could hurt sales, it could be graphically superior to either version. (And that is pretty easy in today's age, we are at the point where indie/hobby programmers can make something of amazing quality for fun without needing an extensive amount of equipment or team members)

It could have features that neither have, new weapons, new characters, you name it, if it can get a download, it could also potentially cost a purchase of a parrallel version, and, of course, whatever's the newest version is going to get the most attention, which could distract potential customers away from the Wii/DSi version.
Did you read what I said...?
VoidMage_Lowell said:
I also doubt the skills {No offense, but it'd take a ton of work} here would be able to complete a Flash that would rival Cave Story for the Wii.
You're dreaming way too big. {Or not fully understanding what you're talking about} This thread is barely a 'Hey can someone do a flash cuz itd be cool'. You're comparing it to an Indie game that took over 5 years to make, not counting the WiiWare port.

Besides, we've reached the ability to reproduce the graphics of the WiiWare onto the PC, but we've still not used it to remake the WiiWare for free. We could, but we haven't. We're not purposely going to dethrone Pixel by remaking the stuff, whither on Flash or PC, we want him to finally make some cash.

T3mp0 said:
The difference being that those are based off of Cave Story directly, not recreating an engine, much less the whole game.
I believe there have already been several attempts to recreate the Cave Story engine on various things, even an online game.
This probably would have only as much success as them, if even that.

T3mp0 said:
I made a mistake, I usually associate Flash with games more than I do with animation, so I ended up missing the use of the latter when I went to reply.
Noted in my first reply.

Again, though, such a Flash as you described is never going to happen. This thread is defiantly not going to lead anywhere, even if it's only an Animation. We barely even have any finished mods, let alone something that could 'dethrone' Cave Story itself. No one's going to put in the massive amount of work to make something like you described.
They may try for a bit, but they'll most likely get bored and stop fairly quick...
You have little to fear.

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:58 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's not gonna happen no matter how much
we may wish it would happen its not heck i wouldnt be able to do anything.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lowell can you type in default font like sane people do?

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
You can't ask Void to do that D: That's like a part of who he is!

Feb 6, 2011 at 1:05 AM
Been here way too long...
This was attempted before. No one has the skills necessary to make this.
Kill your dreams now before they have a chance to grow.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:53 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Theres a hentai flash of Curly Brace going around.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:35 AM
sinophile said:
Theres a hentai flash of Curly Brace going around.

Which One?

diph.php

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:10 AM
Pirate Member
dude, if you're even going to mention it you're obliged to drop a link as well.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:24 AM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Noxid said:
It's not going to happen.

^like Noxid said. Unless he would working on it, of course or someone with similar dedications...

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:20 AM
"..."
I like where THIS thread is going...

But after all, Rule 34.