Latest Cave Story Tribute Site Update and Forum Style

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:49 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I updated the Cave Story Tribute site tonight with new fanart, custom sprites that had been made and submitted in to the site, a direct download link to the Cave Story Deluxe File generously hosted by AtrusRand and last but not least, a new forum style for the Cave Story community! ^_^

Enjoy!:eek:

Edit: Just to explain in a bit further detail, right now I have the Cave Story forum style set to override user individual style settings. This is only temporary so that visitors to the site can see right away that a new style choice exists. After a week or so, I'll change it so that each of the MiraiGamer and Gameflaws forum styles can be used when viewing the forum.

-SkyeWelse

Jun 30, 2006 at 8:53 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Quite awesome. I was a little surprised to see such a suddent change (and please, too; new stuff is always fun :eek: )

Is there a possibility of adding a black-on-white skin? The whole white-on-black feel is unprofessional and hurts the eyes (IMO!) Having a choice would be great.

Keep up the good work man!

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
THIS IS THE FORUM STYLE OF GOD

Really. It's damn skippy.

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:50 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
RuneLancer said:
Quite awesome. I was a little surprised to see such a suddent change (and please, too; new stuff is always fun :eek: )

Is there a possibility of adding a black-on-white skin? The whole white-on-black feel is unprofessional and hurts the eyes (IMO!) Having a choice would be great.

Keep up the good work man!

Well I was a bit surprised that I managed to complete it, finally. lol I wanted to design a Cave Story themed skin for quite awhile now, but I just never got a round to it. Possibly because it was initilally pretty challenging to figure out.

I added a black-on-white skin so that users can choose between (Cave Story Lite) which is lighter and (Cave Story) which is darker. I don't know if I'm really going for making the skin feel all that professional really, I just wanted to play around with it and try and make something interesting.

Personally I think the darker skin looks a sight better than the light one, but I guess they are both pretty decent skins. For now, I'm going to switch to the darker skin so that people who visit the forum can see an immediate change and know that the new style exists. Though if you want to check out the light version for now, you can still switch to it via (Cave Story Lite) style on the main index page.

After one week or so (when I get back from a road trip) I'll set it up so that people can choose whatever style they would like to have available to view the forum. For you and anyone else that would like to use the lighter style, just bear with me until people can visit the site a bit and see that a new style is here to use.

Thanks though, I'm glad you and Osmose like the new style. ^_^

-SkyeWelse

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:58 PM
"..."
Not sure if this is the place to add suggestions, but I'd like to see the cave story boards broken up into sections. Thinks like Tech help, Fan works, Modding, Story discussion, whathave you. If it already is sorry! Haven't much looked thru the new stuff yet..

Looks great tho.

Jun 30, 2006 at 9:16 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I would suggest taking the thread header that has the bkGray-based background, and making it darker. There is fairly high contrast right now, and it makes text on that background difficult to read.

Jun 30, 2006 at 11:02 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Not sure if this is the place to add suggestions, but I'd like to see the cave story boards broken up into sections. Thinks like Tech help, Fan works, Modding, Story discussion, whathave you. If it already is sorry! Haven't much looked thru the new stuff yet..

Looks great tho.

At this time, I'm not going to attempt doing that since this entire GameFlaws.com forum maintenance is currently a one man project and I simply don't have the time available to read each thread and organize them so that they fit in specific sections.

Perhaps in the future if someone wants to step up as a moderator or maintainer of the Cave Story community, then I might go about setting it up sometime. But right at the moment I'm not ready to go about choose and assigning moderators.

I would suggest taking the thread header that has the bkGray-based background, and making it darker. There is fairly high contrast right now, and it makes text on that background difficult to read.

Yeah it does seem to be a bit of a hard contrast. I'll see if I can brighten the text first and if that still doesn't do it, darken the background.

Thanks for pointing it out.

-SKyeWelse

Jul 2, 2006 at 8:50 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
SkyeWelse said:
I updated the Cave Story Tribute site tonight with new fanart, custom sprites that had been made and submitted in to the site, a direct download link to the Cave Story Deluxe File generously hosted by AtrusRand and last but not least, a new forum style for the Cave Story community! ^_^

Enjoy!:)

Edit: Just to explain in a bit further detail, right now I have the Cave Story forum style set to override user individual style settings. This is only temporary so that visitors to the site can see right away that a new style choice exists. After a week or so, I'll change it so that each of the MiraiGamer and Gameflaws forum styles can be used when viewing the forum.

-SkyeWelse

omg, skyewelse you have done a great job on the update of this forum, been busy lately so havent had much time to post. Hats off to ya man :)

Jul 2, 2006 at 10:47 PM
What are those images under your username??? Mine's a sword. But it may change.

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey hey, in the guides/FAQs section on the bottom there's some programs like "Cave Story Cheats Guide and Files" and stuffs, any chance you could add my trainer?

Jul 3, 2006 at 5:03 PM
"..."
Continuing on the random questions which half-relate to the site...

...how the hell do I get an avatar? Be senior member? How many posts is that? WHY MUST YOU DISCRIMINATE?!

Jul 4, 2006 at 10:53 PM
"..."
...20 posts is the answer. VICTORY!

Jul 6, 2006 at 4:01 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
TrainerAbu said:
Hey hey, in the guides/FAQs section on the bottom there's some programs like "Cave Story Cheats Guide and Files" and stuffs, any chance you could add my trainer?

I don't see why not. But the next update may have to be in a few weeks or so. I've been pretty busy with college preparations/moving to a new apartment so updates can't really be too frequent unfortunately.

-SkyeWelse

Jul 6, 2006 at 12:24 PM
"..."
First Rune, now you. And me at the end of July, although it's just to a different apartment in the same building.

Is it apartment-changing season or something?

Jul 8, 2006 at 8:46 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Must be just that time of the year I guess. I'm moving due to college reasons myself.

Okay, after considering the advice of making subforums under the Cave Story Tribute Site in order to better index the threads, I may try doing that, however I want to try and keep the organization of the various threads as minimal as possible as to make my job as an administrator of the forum much easier. : )

Right now after looking through the various threads and such I can see that there are indeed a great deal of posts that get moved to other pages and perhaps a bit harder to find. So far I'm with the idea of creating three or possibly four Cave Story forum categories:

1. General Cave Story Discussion
2. Rom Editor and Technical Support
(or something of the sort, perhaps you all can think of a better category name)
3. Mods
and possibly a fourth if needed.

What do you all think?

-SkyeWelse

Jul 8, 2006 at 9:12 PM
The Bartender
I'd cast my vote for "ROM editing and hacking" for the second category. :o

There are, indeed, 3 major categories of posts: game-related posts, editing and hacking posts, and people showing off their mods and/or hacks. A distinction between them would be cool.

Is there a way to change the skin for this board? It seems locked in place. The pale-on-dark look feels terribly awkward to me and I'd love to be able to switch back to the skin I was using when I joined...

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
RuneLancer said:
Is there a way to change the skin for this board? It seems locked in place. The pale-on-dark look feels terribly awkward to me and I'd love to be able to switch back to the skin I was using when I joined...
Scroll up and pick from the style chooser drop-down menu in the top-right corner of the site. The basic blue skin is marked "Gameflaws."
Ah, scractch that, I'm an ass.

Jul 9, 2006 at 12:46 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
RuneLancer said:
I'd cast my vote for "ROM editing and hacking" for the second category. :)

There are, indeed, 3 major categories of posts: game-related posts, editing and hacking posts, and people showing off their mods and/or hacks. A distinction between them would be cool.

Well it's a better name for sure. :o If no one can come up with anything better, we'll stick with that one. lol

Hmm, I can see what you mean. Apparently when I made some additional forum styles and started messing around with them, applying them to various forums and such, now it seems to automatically change your forum style to the "Cave Story" forum style regardless of the one you have set. I'm looking into the problem as it is quite annoying to have to change it back to the forum style you wish to see every time you click on a new post in the Cave Story forum.

Edit: Okay! Whew! I was getting rather PO'd at the forum after trying to fix the issue of having many of the forums being overided by the Cave Story style and then after deleting it and reinstalling it, the default style. Apparently it is just a simple matter of resetting your cookies or logging out and then back in. After you do that and select the forum style you want from the drop box, it should stick. : )

-SkyeWelse

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:02 AM
The Bartender
The skin thing seems to work fine now. Thanks. :o

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:06 AM
"..."
Cave Story skin is the best skin anyway. :o

EDIT: Hum. Now whenever I view the forum it goes to the blue theme until I either logout and log back in or go through options - but in my options it says it's set to Cave story, and switches to it when I apply them.