Jenn's Journey - Complete

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
- THE review I was waiting for-
Ah, now this, THIS is what I was waiting for.

The first thing about how the pit doesn't take you to the start point....dunno how that happened, I tested it right after I read what you wrote (thinking "WHAT. HOW. I TESTED THAT THING ALMOST EVERY TIME I TURNED ON THE GAME), it worked perfectly. So yes, it would take you back to the start point and the first two breakable blocks were there just in case, as to remove an extra 10 seconds of backtracking.

I'm glad you enjoyed the town in terms of immersion and environment-interaction. I'll probably just remove unnecessary claustrophobia and some background elements so it isn't too much for the eyes.

The breakable blocks were in there for the Snake + Polar Star combo, using the Snake to safely take out enemies and then using the Polar Star to break the blocks, but I guess I forgot something called logical abuse since the Polar Star can still efficiently kill enemies. Maybe I'll just take those out in The Bat Cave and not its other half, seems unnecessary.

Overall, you like it, but you just want me to space things out and not make everything filled with claustrophobia.

Thanks Matt, I needed something like this.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
I don't recall saying that at all.

Glad to be of service.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Oh sweet merciful Jesus I just realised how badly my last post here got screwed up, I had more notes but IP Board devoured them to feed its cruel ends :koron: I've tried to restore them to what they were, so you may want to go back and check it again.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Melon Lord
Hmm, looking at the facepics I've made for Jenn and some of Double's comments, I've decided to redesign Jenn to be closer to her appearance in her profile. What do you think of this?
p160121-0-28rcemx.png

Speaking of redesigns and revamps, I also changed some of the maps. Some subtly and slightly, others drastically.
p160121-1-30n7tl4.png

Thoughts?

Edit: To be honest about the mouth, I originally intended it to be something similar to Curly's base expression in CSWii, but of course the lower resolution of the original created....that. Of course, we can always go with the "standard" look of the protagonist, as having no visible mouth at all. Just compromise and have something like this:
p160121-2-2emkfgl.png

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM
I don't anymore.
I kinda like the original. The earrings didn't make logical sense but they looked good. Also liked the hair, as it made the mace more dynamic. If I was gonna change anything, it would have been the mouth.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:31 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
JonSpider said:
Hmm, looking at the facepics I've made for Jenn and some of Double's comments, I've decided to redesign Jenn to be closer to her appearance in her profile. What do you think of this?
p160121-0-28rcemx.png
I was thinking more 2x2 than 1x1, one pixel is a bit small. Mouth didn't bother me.

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
p160125-0-tqyji.png

I whipped up a little edit because the sprite kinda bothered me. You should try sticking to the Cave Story pallete if you are going towards this style. I removed the earrings because the sprite shouldn't be so cluttered at a size like this. You can keep them for facepics and all that.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Melon Lord
recolorme said:
p160125-0-tqyji.png

I whipped up a little edit because the sprite kinda bothered me. You should try sticking to the Cave Story pallete if you are going towards this style. I removed the earrings because the sprite shouldn't be so cluttered at a size like this. You can keep them for facepics and all that.
Honestly I like your color scheme better than mine. I noticed Jenn was just a little too bright compared to everything else, and I was trying to find better colors that didn't look like puke. Do you mind if I use this?

Anyway guys, would you like me to give the choice of skipping backtracking to move on with the story? Though, I could always suffice by adding some extra dialogue on the way back.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Yeah sure! You can use it! That's the purpose of why I made it.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Play'd. Out of interest, are you intending to change up the weapons/enemies at all aside from damage?

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Melon Lord
DoubleThink said:
Play'd. Out of interest, are you intending to change up the weapons/enemies at all aside from damage?
Honestly, I've never really thought of changing how things behave. I DID have some thoughts for weapons and enemies, but I'm not too sure if I can pull it off well. Maybe it's due to the fact I've never looked up on how to do said changes. Is something like that going to have to do with Assembly?

Or do you mean like, for example, the Bubbler Levels 1 and 2 aren't able to break blocks and don't go far until Level 3?

Edit: Or heck, maybe even flight patterns.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Yeah I s'pose I mean ASM, I got that impression based on a couple of things that were said in the mod. A weapon that actually stuns enemies would be really neat, but would probably take a lot of work. Changing up the bosses/terrain or using some neat scripting is always appreciated too, because after so many years even I'm starting to get a bit tired of enemy repetition.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I love this mod!!! It is so interesting and I love Jenn's character!!!! Keep it up!!

P.S. When is the next update? :D

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Melon Lord
KaminoShimobe said:
I love this mod!!! It is so interesting and I love Jenn's character!!!! Keep it up!!

P.S. When is the next update? :D
Thanks for the compliments. Glad you like the story and characters so far.

As for the the P.S.? When it's done.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ok! *Plays demo again*....

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I don't anymore.
If you can't have new enemies, you could rethink how you organize them. You could look at rougelikes or games like Kingdom Hearts which is very fast paced. Expand your ideas essentially. Learning some basic asm would be good to. As long as they aren't bad enemies.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I really like what you've done with Jenn's Journey so far. The game has plenty of charm, and Jenn herself is very likeable. I also like the way the choices you make affect the story and Jenn's temperament-it adds a bit of replay value and awesomeness.

Keep it up, Jon! :D

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Just finished playing, here are my thoughts.

Good Points
  • The setting is interesting and it made me want to see more of the world and story.
  • The maps are well built, unlike some mods where they are blocks placed down randomly with spikes everywhere, your levels had structure and form and were nice to look at.
  • The characters are pretty good and the boss fight was interesting, liked the multiple phases and how they switched up the fight.

Bad Points - Mostly just minor problems that need to be fixed.

• A typo in the Forgotten Shrine, at one point Jenn says 'What's the!?' when it should be 'What the!?'.
  • First time through I didn't notice the girl fall over when the Forest Spirit appeared, you should add a sound to make it more noticeable that something happened. Maybe a text box with her going 'Ah...'
  • When you start the fight with the Forest Spirit it switches your direction. You are facing it in the cutscene but when the fight starts you automatically turn around, this is quite annoying and it caused me to get killed first time through.

Also there was a glitch where after the Forest Spirit died I could carry on shooting it, this made it not die and it actually carried on attacking even though the health bar was gone and the death effects had all happened. It only died

once I stopped shooting it. You can fix this by placing a <KEY command for the script that runs when the boss dies, so the player can't shoot.

Overall it was a pretty good demo, looking forward to seeing more.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:56 AM
Melon Lord

Decided to (hastily) make and upload a very, very, minor updated version to the last demo since it seems lots of new mods and updates to existing ones are being made (both real and fake).

Fixes:

- The Grammar mistake PixelVortex mentioned

- Facing the opposite direction in the beggining of the fights

- The H/V trigger not working for falling into the chasms in the Deserted Village and The Bat Cave

Minor Things:

- Updated Jenn's mugshots, mostly in color and other things (also a new mugshot)

- Environmental tweaks in the existing maps

- Made the little girl's fall have a sound effect, hopefully it's a smidget more noticeable now

Major Things:

- Jenn's Updated frames

* New Title Theme by otemoto-dansei-ningen (Thank you!)

If there's anything else that needs to be fixed that I missed, feel free to tell me.

P.S. Just an oddity, when trying to fix the other glitch Vortex mentioned (able to keep shooting the boss even after the life bar is drained), the method to fixing it (putting the <KEY Command) didn't work, nor did any other methods I've attempted (copy-pasting from the original fight). I'll just keep trying to fix it, but if you found/have the solution or a compromise, tell me, please.