Jenka's Nightmare - Done. *mic drop* [3.0.1.0]

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:00 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Mistress Nemesis said:
For one thing, you did the spoiler tag wrong, no offense. For another thing, the Spur is still a relatively late game weapon due to the fact that you need the Booster 2.0. You still have to do 2 boss fights to get it, and

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

in Curly's story, you need to do ANOTHER boss fight to get it back

The Spur is still a rewarding weapon to get, and while you may not feel that it is, you really should. You should be grateful that you get a neat weapon so easily. It's still a fun game, ya know.
Well I would agree, but in terms of weapon balance there's still not much else. The machine gun is the best mobility weapon, sure, and the sword is good up close, hell, even the nemesis has better dps if you have it and don't level it up. However, at least in my opinion, by shear combat prowess the spur just feels too powerful to be such a natural part of the game, especially since getting x2 charge is very easy if you know what you're doing.

Again, just my opinion, maybe I'm jaded from the original cave story.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:29 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Spur on its own took a pretty big nerf in charge time in JN. It takes about 1.5x long to charge unless you get the Ursa Minor in NG+ (used to be Turbocharge).

On its own, it's not really the best weapon in the game; I'm leaning towards Machine Gun for that role. It's still a good defensive weapon if you want to hang back and charge it, but if you need mid-range utility, Machine Gun or Snake does it more consistently, and Blade is still a great murder tool.

With NG+/Ursa Minor, it charges stage 1 and 2 roughly as fast as the original, and stage 3 twice as fast. Pretty much Infinity+1 at that point, but only if you did a Polar-Star-Only run in the original game. Which feels more fair to me.

The only boss the Spur really fucks up is Genesis, though. It also deals with regular enemies rather well, which is why I threw in the whole "need to collect it again before final level" thing. With that said, the charge time without Ursa Minor only really helps as something to prevent you from losing exp on other weapons.

Other people will have to crunch the numbers better, and I'm on-record in multiple games as sucking at balance (see my Fraxy videos for awful bullet spam), but I think I did a fairly good job at giving all the weapons some utility towards the end game, even the Fireball and regular Missile Launcher. Maybe I'm full of shit though, I don't know.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM
I still hold to my opinion, but I admit that the increased weapon balance does help it somewhat. The fact that you have to get a polar star run for the UM isn't much of an issue, mostly because even if you don't want to use save editors you can download saves with polar star on them, and even better machine gun doesn't really need turbocharge long as you're good at mashing.

Feb 14, 2015 at 4:39 PM
I nerfed* Machine Gun in that regard in 3.0, if only slightly. Takes a few extra frames per bullet recharge, so 'mashing' still makes it last longer, but doesn't give you "infinite ammo" anymore. Turbocharge lets you do that, though (But then you can't get Ursa Minor, or the Hydra, or the Munitions Clip...).

*Still does 8 damage a shot at level 3, which is frankly bonkers for its range. It's like Nemesis Lite.

Feb 14, 2015 at 5:40 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
ZarroTsu said:
I nerfed* Machine Gun in that regard in 3.0, if only slightly. Takes a few extra frames per bullet recharge, so 'mashing' still makes it last longer, but doesn't give you "infinite ammo" anymore. Turbocharge lets you do that, though (But then you can't get Ursa Minor, or the Hydra, or the Munitions Clip...).

*Still does 8 damage a shot at level 3, which is frankly bonkers for its range. It's like Nemesis Lite.

The only way to get multiple "first gun" capsule rewards is by having an edited save file. The game balances out.

I edit but that's just me.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:24 PM
Starting my Let's Play today, will edit this post once it's uploaded :D

EDIT:
My computer is being a dick, so that's not gonna happen tonight, but I'll do it as soon as I can.

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:09 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Flamegeyser said:
Starting my Let's Play today, will edit this post once it's uploaded :D

Have fun bro, Zarrot'll probably add it to the site.
So I made it to the end of the newest version of the mod, 100% run, for the first time. That final boss easter egg. That's all I have to say. I was laughing so goddamn hard.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Great, fun mod. Kudos for completing this.

Encountered bugs:
-Not really important, but when getting the Polar Star
back from Pignon
, it says "got the =Polar Star=", meaning it uses equals signs instead of the dots universally used for all items. Just looked ugly for a sec.
-After I got
all of Quote's items back
, I found the Nemesis to be newly limited in ammo (to 60), and non-recharging either (other than a health station). ...Thought it might be on purpose to make the
boss rush
more hellish, but didn't see that sudden change in other people's playthroughs. By the way, I take it completing it doesn't change anything - it's its own reward?

Okay the Gunsmith has two routes depending on when the profile is created through NG+. One is the 'normal' one you get with the Spur or by playing normally, and the other where you don't, in which he's a bit more cynical.
Didn't completely understand this, is the "non normal" route
the one where he tells you to GTFO, but if you later return with the Polar Star it ends up the same and you get the Spur anyway? That's what I got, and I started with the Machine Gun Capsule, in case it wasn't intended that way.

Man those were many spoiler tags, but gotta be careful not to ruin anything for anyone, eh. I still haven't quite gotten to the ending, myself. EDIT: Oh man, no way to make those spoiler tags in-line with the text, rather than paragraph breaking? The red hide seems to do the same...

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM
Nemesis only giving 60 ammo is a bug. Hmmm...

For the Gunsmith, he gives you the Spur no matter what but he should seem more sour unless it's not NG+ or a Spur Capsule NG+. Did he repeat the original game's dialog, or did he act like he was buddy-buddy?

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Yeah, he was definitely sour up until I came back with the Polar Star. Even the music stopped. Half-expected he wouldn't calm down and would refuse the upgrade.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:46 PM
Molten said:
Yeah, he was definitely sour up until I came back with the Polar Star. Even the music stopped. Half-expected he wouldn't calm down and would refuse the upgrade.

Well you did kinda save his life from Suto and all that. As long as his dialog is the same speech as the original it should be working fine; but if he says something along the lines of "Between you and me I think he smashed up the ceiling just to intimidate you" then something's broke.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:12 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The thing that confuses me is how he managed to get the glitch for the Nemesis to act like the Mjolnir.

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:00 PM
Mjolnir was removed and I likely forgot to change a value in one of the events from 0012:0060 to 0012:0000 (or whatever weapon number Nemesis is).

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
hey, can i use life pot in the secret boss rush??
otherwise if you can give me the tips or video??
my trouble againts gaudska teers

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:46 PM
Yes you can use the life pot in the boss rush; you get it back at the end.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
AlexMdle said:
It does.

It's not.

Ah. I read Zarro saying there are only two endings. Assuming that's correct, I guess you get some sort of power up or item, then...

ZarroTsu said:
Well you did kinda save his life from Suto and all that. As long as his dialog is the same speech as the original it should be working fine; but if he says something along the lines of "Between you and me I think he smashed up the ceiling just to intimidate you" then something's broke.
No, I didn't hear that line. I just thought the
Just leave me alone. I don't want to see your face here ever again, do you hear me!?
might mean I couldn't get it, but it makes sense since you saved him.

By the way, do you know that you can skip getting Booster's key to the rockets, if you get the Machine Gun? You can't do any meaningful sequence-breaking that way, but after all the secrets I kinda expected a secret or differnet dialog for that. :p

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:00 PM
Hey, I have done your modding game, man so tough run and challenge with TAS so harder control work without any take damage and fastest dps.

http://youtu.be/X_6XzOjDNss

Want should delete an old demo version or keep watch?

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:22 AM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I just finished it, and I got teary eyed at the end. I love this mod. I really think that this is the best mod out there. The detail, and everything else, is just perfect. You brought the characters, and put more depth to them. I thank you for this experience.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I encountered another bug way back. Seemingly at any point after you finish the Labyrinth, you can return to the Sand Zone and take the Labyrinth teleporter again. Then if you keep on like you have the first time, the same scene will play again.
Balrog will be in the boulder room again with you. I think the boulder is already at the moved position blocking the door, and talking to Balrog gets you both swept again as before. May or may not have to do with getting the secret room nearby, I don't remember.