Is Cave Story too cute for its own good?

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
He has a point.

Although the story wasn't sad or depressing at all. The atmosphere was dark at times, especially with the song "Pulse". Damn that's one sad song...

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
HaydenStudios said:
Okay IdioticBaka, think about what you're saying. You're saying that a creation of man is perfect.

The creator is always greater than its creation.
Every single man on this earth is imperfect.
Therefore, any creation of man is imperfect.

Cave Story is a creation of man.
Therefore, Cave Story is imperfect.

You know, when I got introduced to Cave Story, it was by a blog post by my brother.
To be honest, I agreed with him for a little while. But after my third playthrough when I experienced the disappointing and anti-climactic third ending and all playthroughs onward, I was able to nit-pick things here and there, and even exploit a few bugs and oversights. There are some things, like Cave Story, that are very polished, and from a humanly perspective, close to perfect, but no human can reach true perfection. Some call me a perfectionist. Perfectionism runs in my family. But technically, that term isn't completely accurate for me, nor for anyone in the world for that matter, because even after I've "perfected" my work, it still has its flaws. It's just that you might have to be a bit more critical to find them.

Last summer I saw The Dark Knight Rises in the movie theater. Loved it. It's not my favorite, but it knocked it out of the park in delivering a few subjective qualities I had hoped to see in some other movies that slightly let me down prior due to not fully delivering. Just because of this, I had a bit of a bias for that movie and how awesome it was for a little while. I was even bold enough to describe it in my mind as perfect. But upon further review and seeing things through not such a biased lens, I saw that it had some serious plotholes that I wasn't paying attention to. I even grew open-minded to those who regard it as the weakest link in the trilogy, and some even bold enough to give it the shameful mark of "that sequel never happened".

Those two experiences together taught me that you should never, ever, EVER, call any creation of man perfect. Now, it is valid to say that after X number of times of playing it, you are still devoid of being able to offer it any legitimate criticism, but outright calling anything in this world perfect is a very bold and dangerous thing to do.

TL;DR

No, Cave Story is not perfect.

P.S. Also, just so you know, I didn't link to that thread so you could bump it like you have been other threads including but not limited to this one, so don't do it.
I understand that I shouldn't bump old threads. Also, as a Muslim, I know that Humans are imperfect. What I meant was that it's as close to perfect as a human can do. When I say 'perfect', I always mean close to perfect, because nothing at all in this world is completely 100% anything. Except Math answers. This life we are living in is not binary, it has lots of greys and in-betweens that make it what it is. And the main purpose of life (at least mine) is to prepare for the Day Of Judgement.
The only flaw I found is that Sand Zone can be a bit boring on later playthroughs, so I usually try to make challenges for myself to make it interesting. Like, "Complete the whole thing within a certain amount of time" or "Complete the whole thing with only a certain weapon" or something like that. Maybe you should try it.
(I hope I don't sound any more idiotic than usual.)

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Oct 29, 2013 at 5:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WoodenRat said:
Although the story wasn't sad or depressing at all. The atmosphere was dark at times, especially with the song "Pulse". Damn that's one sad song...
Quiet did it for me, it really promotes that sense of loss.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:30 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I remember going through Mimiga Village when all the lights in my house were off. When Quiet started putting in those last few notes at the end, the track seemed more eerie than usual. I kept looking behind me because I somehow convinced myself that the red demon was behind me. It was a lol moment, now that I think of it. That and the result of playing Cave Story at 2 in the morning. :p

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I wake up at 2 at night every night to play Cave Story because my father doesn't let me play it. He thinks I have an obsession, and he hates obsessions.
Also, if you felt the Red Demon was behind you, why didn't you pull your Super Missile Launcher out and take it down?
Just joking.
Last thing: I think Cave Story's 1x graphics are MUCH MUCH MUCH cuter and better than Cave Story+'s 2x graphics. Sorry for yelling, but I really mean that much emphasis.