Is Cave Story A prequel to Undertale?

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:48 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
"Sans" and "Sue" are just several letters apart from being exactly the same as each other! They must be the same person!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016 at 2:42 AM
Serenity now, insanity later.
"..."
"Sans" and "Sue" are just several letters apart from being exactly the same as each other! They must be the same person!
If there was a like button on the forums, I would like the shit out of this post.

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Even though Toby has been inspired by this game, he originally planned Undertale to be a sequel to EarthBound, which is why the game's name used to be UnderTale (EarthBound, UnderTale). So, no.

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:59 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Toby himself said that Toriel's design was directly inspired by the Mimiga's, hence the uncanny similarities with the two.

Jun 19, 2017 at 2:33 AM
The "C" in "college" is for "crippling debt".
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Let's be real, Cave Story is too obscure a game for Toby to have been like "Let me make this game that's secretly a sequel to Cave Story and make it suuuuuuper ambiguous that it is."
This is a simple case of "I-want-two-similar-things-I-like-to-somehow-be-related-so-I-can-justify-my-fanfic" syndrome.

Toby definitely knows what Cave Story is, however. IDK about what the previous poster said about Toriel's design or anything but "Another Medium" samples Cave Story drums.

Jun 19, 2017 at 3:57 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I'm still contemplating why I made this cancerous thread

Jun 19, 2017 at 7:20 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Let's be real, Cave Story is too obscure a game for Toby to have been like "Let me make this game that's secretly a sequel to Cave Story and make it suuuuuuper ambiguous that it is."
This is a simple case of "I-want-two-similar-things-I-like-to-somehow-be-related-so-I-can-justify-my-fanfic" syndrome.
Fascinating, tell me more about this very obscure game, I need some extra material for my Undertale/Doctor Who/Seinfeld crossover

Jun 19, 2017 at 8:01 PM
Fascinating, tell me more about this very obscure game, I need some extra material for my Undertale/Doctor Who/Seinfeld crossover

Woah hold on there pal, I think you may be on to something.

Sans is fat and comedic. George is ALSO fat and comedic. Clearly Sans is George long, long after he has died. To prove this, let's look at George's last name: Costanza.

If you rearrange the letters, you get "a cot sanz". Clearly "Sanz" is just a fun spelling of "Sans", which fits with Sans' funny personality.

But lets look deeper.

Cot means "cotangent" in mathematics. The cotangent of an angle in a right triangle is equal to the length of the triangle's hypotenuse over the length of the side adjacent to that angle.

So what is the cotangent of Sans? Well let's say that Sans is one angle of the triangle, and Papyrus is the other non-right angle. If each side represents the personality of the two characters, then the cotangent of Sans is equal to "Papyrus' personality traits" divided by "Sans' personality traits". Papyrus is comedic, silly, and never gives up. Sans is also comedic and silly, but gives up easily. He has lots of power, however. If we divide their personality traits, we are left with the equation "perseverance divided by power".

If we further divide out Sans' power from Papyrus' perseverance, we are left with someone who tries and tries constantly but lacks the power to succeed. Who do we know that sounds like that? It's CLEARLY the Daleks. No matter how hard they try they can never actually manage to defeat the Doctor permanently.

Therefore, some time after the events of Undertale, Papyrus and Sans must fuse to become Davros, the creator of the Daleks. Therefore we now have evidence that Doctor Who is a sequel to Undertale, which is a sequel to Seinfeld.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:29 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Toby himself said that Toriel's design was directly inspired by the Mimiga's, hence the uncanny similarities with the two.
IDK about what the previous poster said about Toriel's design or anything...

I own the artbook where he talked about the designs behind the characters, here's the Cave Story snippet:
p358965-0-screenshot20170619at1.png

That's the only snippet where he mentions CS.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:48 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Nah it's not, there isn't enough evidence to show that it is, apart from Toby stating that he loved Cave Story. Although everytime I play CS (especially now that I got a new 3DS, not THE new 3ds but just a new 3ds xl) and I see Toroko I say "OH HAI ASRIEL!"

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:26 AM
I own the artbook where he talked about the designs behind the characters, here's the Cave Story snippet:
p358965-0-screenshot20170619at1.png

That's the only snippet where he mentions CS.

Thanks for the citation! It's much appreciated, I love it when people fact check properly, we don't do it nearly enough nowadays.

Interesting that Cave Story is one of his favorite games... weird to think Toby Fox could be a lurker or even contributor to the forums (TBH if you search for Cave Story on the Internet it's hard not to find this website).