Is cave story+ a dark game?

May 2, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I recently bought cave story, and I wonder, is it a dark game? people talks about death, and kidnappings. So without spoiling to much, is the game dark? is characters going to die? or get tortured?

May 2, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Random-storykeeper said:
You won't hear their anguish or see blood, but if you're prone to feels, it might be sad.
So in other words, yes but off screen, correct?

May 2, 2014 at 7:26 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Cave Story's "dark"ness is much more 'Fridge Horror' than anything. At face value everything is fairly tame until about the half-way point when shit hits the fan, after which it isn't really examined again until the very end of the game, and/or the bonus level.

There is no blood or gore, and 'death' is more of a POOF! than anything, whether in defeating a monster, or getting off'd yourself.

May 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
If your definition of "dark" has to do with the instances described in the original post, the answer is yes, there will be some.

Torture though...that depends more on perspective, I would say. If you started to play already, you will encounter some crucial objects that can be considered torturous to those affected by it.

May 2, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ZarroTsu said:
Cave Story's "dark"ness is much more 'Fridge Horror' than anything. At face value everything is fairly tame until about the half-way point when shit hits the fan, after which it isn't really examined again until the very end of the game, and/or the bonus level.

There is no blood or gore, and 'death' is more of a POOF! than anything, whether in defeating a monster, or getting off'd yourself.
Okay, I'm very sensitive when it comes to deaths, even if it's off screen, or just mentioned, I still don't like it at all. I don't want any character I like to die, that include villains.

May 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Yemto said:
I recently bought cave story, and I wonder, is it a dark game?

You ask this after buying the game

May 2, 2014 at 8:17 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
Yemto said:
....or get tortured?
I'm not trying to give anything away much, but in some of the text in the final level of the game that, its mentioned briefly that people get tortured.

May 2, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Beakface
Yemto said:
Okay, I'm very sensitive when it comes to deaths, even if it's off screen, or just mentioned, I still don't like it at all. I don't want any character I like to die, that include villains.
In that case, you're probably not going to enjoy playing this, twenty minutes in. Especially if it's just the concept of death and not the cause that you are sensitive to.

Seeing as you bought it for a buck, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say it came with that Humble Bundle. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you would deliberately buy a game first then investigating how it measures up to your sensitivities.

May 2, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yemto said:
Perhaps a game like Hello Kitty: Happy Party Pals would be more suited to your tastes then.

May 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Been here way too long...
just turn up the gamma

May 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I first played cave story at quite a young age (ish), and I don't think I understood most of it. It didn't really have that much of an impact on me, which I'm sure it would now if I were to be able to forget everything that happened and play it again. I actually really wish I could do that... ¬_¬

But Cave Story is great, so play it ;)

May 3, 2014 at 2:00 AM
Hoxtilicious
Cave Story is basicly the darkest game I've ever played. Believe me man, I've been through a lot shit in life but this game is a beast. The last time I played it, I was so feeling so drained afterwards, I basicly just wanted to die, I thought I need to see a therapist or something, just to continue my every day life. Thankfully I'm a very hardy person, so everything went back to normal after some weeks.

Occasionally I still wake up in the night, bathed in my own sweat, screaming...

Shit's hardcore dawg.

May 3, 2014 at 2:03 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Adolf K. said:
Cave Story is basicly the darkest game I've ever played. Believe me man, I've been through a lot shit in life but this game is a beast. The last time I played it, I was so feeling so drained afterwards, I basicly just wanted to die, I thought I need to see a therapist or something, just to continue my every day life. Thankfully I'm a very hardy person, so everything went back to normal after some weeks.

Occasionally I still wake up in the night, bathed in my own sweat, screaming...
Trolling doesn't help the poor kid, Adolf.

@ Gir

Oh, so THAT's why they made those games.

May 3, 2014 at 2:11 AM
Hoxtilicious
Why are you guys so obsessed with the word "trolling", are you trying to troll me?

May 3, 2014 at 3:18 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Play King's Story instead

May 3, 2014 at 6:30 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"