I’m getting an error while trying to do the challenges in Cave Story+ on Nintendo Switch

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:39 AM
"Huzzah!"
Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
it's caused by the latest switch update breaking... something - afaik there's no workaround yet, but nicalis is aware and (i hope) trying to fix it

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:57 AM
"Huzzah!"
it's caused by the latest switch update breaking... something - afaik there's no workaround yet, but nicalis is aware and (i hope) trying to fix it
Nicalis still hasn't fixed the problem on the PC version where it crashes after beating the Machine Gun Challenge so there's a chance they may not fix this issue.

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:00 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
And here I was thinking NICALiS finally got it right and managed to put out a polished port that didn't end up having any major bugs.

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:03 AM
"Huzzah!"
And here I was thinking NICALiS finally got it right and managed to put out a polished port that didn't end up having any major bugs.

it's actually not their fault for once, the console update itself broke something (i tested it, the challenges worked fine pre-update & then crashed after updating). i would also assume they'd want to fix it, given it's the latest port & the one they advertise at the moment.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:37 AM
War criminal
How hilarious it'd be if Trolltendo did another system update after Nicalis fixes the issue, and it breaks that part of the game again.
Honestly tho, still makes me think about the fact that Nicalis still has it a Switch exclusive when they clearly had plans to have it released on PC and other consoles during production. Those sprites were found 4 years ago, too.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:23 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Honestly tho, still makes me think about the fact that Nicalis still has it a Switch exclusive when they clearly had plans to have it released on PC and other consoles during production. Those sprites were found 4 years ago, too.
How do we know they had it planned for other consoles and which sprites are you talking about?

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:31 AM
War criminal
How do we know they had it planned for other consoles and which sprites are you talking about?
These sprites, they're listed in the TCRF page for the Switch port. Granted, I do not see any PC stuff, but knowing the fact that CS+ on Steam just has "Press Z to Start" printed as the regular text you see in the game, a PC port wouldn't have been too far-fetched of an idea especially when you know, the Switch version fixes literally every issue the Steam port and the Mac port still have to this very day.
p375500-0-cavestoryusswitchbuttons.png

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:33 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
These sprites, they're listed in the TCRF page for the Switch port. Granted, I do not see any PC stuff, but knowing the fact that CS+ on Steam just has "Press Z to Start" printed as the regular text you see in the game, a PC port wouldn't have been too far-fetched of an idea especially when you know, the Switch version fixes literally every issue the Steam port and the Mac port still have to this very day.
p375500-0-cavestoryusswitchbuttons.png

These sprites are actually generic button sprites that Nicalis has put on other console ports of their games. (The Binding Of Isaac Afterbirth+'s Switch port uses the exact same buttons spritesheet).
As for an update to the Cave Story+ PC port Tyrone actually teased that in the r/cavestory Discord server:
1618486343486.png

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:43 PM
"Huzzah!"
These sprites are actually generic button sprites that Nicalis has put on other console ports of their games. (The Binding Of Isaac Afterbirth+'s Switch port uses the exact same buttons spritesheet).
As for an update to the Cave Story+ PC port Tyrone actually teased that in the r/cavestory Discord server:
View attachment 7767
Tyrone actually has discord and is in a Cave Story discord server!?
W H A T!?

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tyrone actually has discord and is in a Cave Story discord server!?
W H A T!?
He joined the r/cavestory Discord recently and started answering some questions as well as sharing some Cave Story related screenshots.
Most of the stuff he has posted there is now on his Twitter account. Some exceptions are a screenshot of a cut mode from Cave Story 3D inspired by the Beta and a new-ish Cave Story Beta screenshot.
1618487445922.png 1618487466111.png

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:10 PM
War criminal
Apr 16, 2021 at 6:44 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
If you're going to keep posting edge every time somebody drops the t-word could you at least pretend to read the threads you're in first

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:17 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The update to fix this has been pushed to all regions now. You can now play challenges again.

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:56 PM
"Huzzah!"
Keep in mind they fixed the challenges, but all the times are now shuffled around for old save files.
We're assuming it's due to the Shared Player Health option getting added.

Time shuffling:
MGC -> Sand Pit
Sand Pit -> Nothing
STA -> Boss Attack
Boss Attack -> Curly Story
Hell Wind Forteress -> Nemesis
Nemesis -> MGC
Main Story Hell -> STA
Curly Story Hell -> Wind Fortress

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:48 PM
Based Member
Oh wow, an all-new error. Now all it does is play that first note from the main menu music, and then immediately stops. I guess they must have broken something in a recent update.