Ikachan Errors in English Version

Jun 26, 2014 at 3:57 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Whenever I play the pre-patched English version of Ikachan, It crashes every time I level up, making the game unplayable, but this error is not present in the Japenese version. Is there somewhere I can get the English patch and apply it to the Jappenese version? If so , how can I patch the game once I get the patch? Lastly, Is there a pre-patched version without this game-breaking glitch?

Jun 26, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It depends, I would think.

Where did you get your copy of Ikachan from? The CS tribute site? There is also a prepatched version that comes with Cave Story Deluxe; maybe check that out unless you already have Cave Story or don't mind a few extra additions.

What error messages show when it crashes, if any, and what operating system are you on?

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm running Windows 8 and the error message displays in Japanese, so I don't Know what it says. Even the version that comes with Cave Story Deluxe doesn't work correctly.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
There are two different English translations of Ikachan, make sure you have the correct one. Also make sure that Ikachan downloaded correctly.

Now try "run as administrator" or failing that, compatibility mode. You should find these options under properties (right-click on the Ikachan executable and select properties, then compatibility).

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I had the same problem with Ikachan crashing on level up (and problems with the fullscreen mode not working properly).

I fixed it by running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 98/Windows ME. To do this in Windows 7/8:

In Windows 8 right-click Ikachan's application file (the one used to launch the game) then click "Properties" from the menu and select the "Compatibility" tab in the windows that appears.
In the Compatibility tab tick the box that says "Run in compatibility mode for:" and then from the drop-down menu select "Windows 98/Windows ME".
After selecting Windows 98/Windows ME, click "Apply" at the bottom of the menu and finally click "OK".

This should fix the crashing and the fullscreen problems. Also, if anyone is having problems getting Xpadder working with the game just run Xpadder as Administrator.

I hope that people Googling the problem will find this solution because it was really annoying for me and this game is pretty nice (although it is very short and there is very little actual gameplay).