Idea : Seasonal Mods for Cave Story+

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Have been thinking this for a while, though I am too busy to do it... probably...

Cave Story+ has two official alternate holiday spritesets now... Christmas and now Halloween. And I was thinking a small themed CS+ mod making good use of these sprites would be a nice idea. It could even be a community involved project.

You probably know how on TV there's always that holiday themed episode... and we have part of the work already completed towards a Cave Story Christmas or Horror Story lol. Just need some ideas for a fun little episode for our favorite Cave Story characters.

I do love the surprise seasonal sprites, but it feels like a waste to not fully utilize that work in some kind of unique seasonal mod.

Any ideas for a nice holiday mod? Or maybe for some kind of easy or fun project people wouldn't mind contributing something towards? It could even be some kind of little contest, though around this time of year I'm sure we're quite busy!

p161209-0-rocketsled.png
p161209-1-25438237938cavestoryhalloweenjpg620x11.jpg

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I think there should be a CS mod reenacting the story of Christmas. But who will be baby jesus

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kanpachi

duh

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Indie game enthusiast
lol um... Okay so, It was a very starry night on the floating island.

Kazuma and uh... Misery? which were staying in ... the Egg room 00?
With their Baby um... Dragon?

Some critter herders... Itoh, Jack, and uh Mahin?
... heard the good news from a flying robot.

And in the sky a huge Moon (Ballos) appears...

Which the three wisemen (Prof. Booster, Hermit Gunsmith, and The Doctor) follow on their...
Scooter, Bats, and Core?

There they see Baby... Dragon.

Hermit Gunsmith gave the gift of ... Whimsical Stars
Booster gave the gift of ... Rocket Fuel?
Doctor gave the gift of ... Red flower

EDIT:
Ah Lace posted... ah yes Baby Kanpachi. xD

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
No guys Sue would be Jesus and the Doctor is Herod

It'd be the Silver Locket, Red Flowers and Jellyfish Juice, with three Zetts or Kings, depending on if we call them kings or wise men
Egg No. 00 is good

Momorin and Kazuma for Mary and Joseph (Chivalry is the real father (God))

Kanpachi, Jack and Mahin are the shepherds

Whimsical Stars are the North Star

Butes are angels

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Yeah Dunc, let's make this as boring as possible

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:19 AM
daughter of chivalry
No pixel is god

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Pixel said "let there be Kanpachi" and then there was Kanpachi

Anyways I feel that the story should be about the true meaning of Christmas, which involves Quote, Curly, and King (as the Three Kings) protecting Kanpachi from Dr. Date Caesar

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Based Member
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
Anyways I feel that the story should be about the true meaning of Christmas, which involves Quote, Curly, and King (as the Three Kings) protecting Kanpachi from Dr. Date Caesar
^ I agree with this.

Also, if baby Jesus is going to be a Mimiga, maybe then Joseph and Mary should should be Mimigas as well. Santa and Chaco maybe?

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM
daughter of chivalry
They should be human, just to show how much of a miracle this baby is.

Dec 9, 2012 at 11:03 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Well not to ruin the fun, but we also need to make ideas for the halloween one. Maybe something along the lines of quote trying to trick or treat and meets trouble on the way? Not my best idea but it's a start

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Based Member
Ultrasyther said:
Well not to ruin the fun, but we also need to make ideas for the halloween one.
We won't need to worry about that for about ten months.

Ultrasyther said:
Maybe something along the lines of quote trying to trick or treat and meets trouble on the way? Not my best idea but it's a start
I'm pretty sure some people here already had a story somewhat fleshed out wherein an infection of red flowers are spreading to Mimigas, Quote and Curly aren't around to curbstomp whatever's threatening everyone, and that Sue is the protagonist.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
HaydenStudios said:
We won't need to worry about that for about ten months.
You're right, we're already running out of time D:

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:28 AM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
This is a good idea...

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:51 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Mods and such take a really long time, 10 months would still be kind of a crunch (unless your actually spending most of your time on it) which we all have lives to deal with. Well most of us at least.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Indie game enthusiast
If one wanted to make a community mod in a short period of time (only tried one once)...

One way...
Write up a story for the mod everyone agrees upon. Or make a community game... such as write one sentence or paragraph at a time to continue the story, (and probably make something insane); then edit the finished product into a workable story, and divide up the parts into one map portions.

Each person can take a map to create, with just an idea of what it should be like.

Once all the maps are put together, an inspired coder will emerge and take the maps and insert the dialog from the story that's been created already. And then we'll shortly have a mod that can be revised and tested until it's all done.

If it's a mod that needs to be polished though, you'll want someone assigned as an editor. Someone who goes through all the submitted content, and edits the submissions to create a consistant style [as needed].
Dialog, mapping, sprites, TSC... would need someone to bring it all together.

So, Community Game > Story > Divide up Maps > Find Editor and/or Coder > Community Testing > Fix / Edit > Release

In worst case, we'll have sprites, maps, and maybe story resources...

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Well, Im actually kind of into this. I might make a few maps and some story and see how inspired I am from there.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Sounds interesting. Maybe the christmas story could be about quote having to help santa deliver his presents for some reason (maybe santa ate too many chocolate chip cookies and couldn't fit down the chimney). And for halloween it could be about the doctors ghost haunting quote.

Edit: If this goes from idea to development i would be interested in beta testing (and i currently dont have any plans to dissapear from the forums again).

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Omega said:
Sounds interesting. Maybe the christmas story could be about quote having to help santa deliver his presents for some reason (maybe santa ate too many chocolate chip cookies and couldn't fit down the chimney). And for halloween it could be about the doctors ghost haunting quote.

Edit: If this goes from idea to development i would be interested in beta testing (and i currently dont have any plans to dissapear from the forums again).
Lol, i like the "quote helps santa deliver presents" idea.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
And we could also make a contrast in gameplay. Such as platforming being the focus of the cristmas mod. And run and gun the focus of the halloween mod.