I wanted to modify quote's sprite. And I ruined it.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:26 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Instead of showing exactly what I did, quote's sprite is now mostly blue, with his hair being completely transparent. How exactly do I fix this? I used MSPaint to modify the spritesheet because I didn't have money to spend on paint software, and I was referring to Cave Story +, so the spritesheet is a bmp instead of a pbm.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Black = transparent in CS. You'll have to change it to a color very close to black, just change one of the red/green/blue values to 1 in the edit color menu (though you will definitely get them confused if its visibly identical). If you got the game through Steam you can use "Verify integrity of game files" in the properties to restore the original spritesheet file.
I used MSPaint
Good, you really don't need anything else. :droll:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2024 at 4:14 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Also don't forget to save the image as a 24 bit bitmap.

Jan 20, 2024 at 7:57 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
@crotchstick You can do it in MS Paint if you save it as a 24 bit bitmap as Serri above me mentions. A large chunk of modders use https://getpaint.net/ (it's free) which is better than MS Paint and what I've personally used for 30+ CS mods now, although others have used Aesprite or Graphics Gale.

Jan 21, 2024 at 5:14 AM
Veteran Member
>paint.NET better than MS Paint
>for PIXEL ART, let alone

I seriously legitimately hope with every fiber of my being you guys don't do this

Jan 22, 2024 at 6:37 AM
Serri Online
War criminal

I seriously legitimately hope with every fiber of my being you guys don't do this
Are you /j or /srs right now?

Jan 22, 2024 at 8:45 PM
Veteran Member
As much as I'd like to passive aggressively post an example (that's actually genuinely good this time) and derail the thread again nearly everything I draw is super secret OCs for a super secret game that's probably never going to exist in some indeterminate amount of time, do not steal :V

and the rest is deranged low effort nonsense that doesn't help my case

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:11 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

I mean, it is better than MS Paint. I think you're alone here on suggesting the opposite.

But yeah there's probably better alternatives to paint.NET for doing Pixel Art. Maybe it's Aesprite or another similar program. Works great for CS modding though. You're free to share any suggestions for programs.

I seriously legitimately hope with every fiber of my being you aren't suggesting MS Paint for pixel art instead. (It's actually not a big deal people can use whatever they want. Just for CS modding it tends to cause problems i.e. this thread and also color palettes being forced).

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:51 PM
Serri Online
War criminal
I... still use mspaint for CS mods, funnily enough. I'm working on that. Also I may suggest Firealpaca/Medibang, with AA disabled.

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:32 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Paintdotnet clears ms paint for pixel art i am SORRY
However, if you don't want to use it for whatever reason you could try Libresprite, or compile Aseprite yourself if you don't want to buy it

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:17 AM
Veteran Member
I mean, it is better than MS Paint. I think you're alone here on suggesting the opposite.

But yeah there's probably better alternatives to paint.NET for doing Pixel Art. Maybe it's Aesprite or another similar program. Works great for CS modding though. You're free to share any suggestions for programs.

I seriously legitimately hope with every fiber of my being you aren't suggesting MS Paint for pixel art instead. (It's actually not a big deal people can use whatever they want. Just for CS modding it tends to cause problems i.e. this thread and also color palettes being forced).
Paintdotnet clears ms paint for pixel art i am SORRY
-Messy overdesigned multi window interface
-Antialiasing on by default
-Selection lines don't scale with zoom
-Lacks SOVL
It's pretty good for coloring in scanned drawings though.

The best pixel art program is the image editor in old GameMaker versions. It is basically MS Paint with alpha channel, animation, and a color replace tool.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:56 AM
Serri Online
War criminal
The best pixel art program is the image editor in old GameMaker versions. It is basically MS Paint with alpha channel, animation, and a color replace tool.
Clearly the best pixel art program is the built-in bitmap editor in Cave Editor. :awesomeface:

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:49 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
-Messy overdesigned multi window interface
-Antialiasing on by default
-Selection lines don't scale with zoom
-Lacks SOVL
It's pretty good for coloring in scanned drawings though.

Wtf use an actual art program for coloring scanned drawings :troll

Also
-The "messy overdesigned multi window interface" isn't too much of a problem, you can close all the windows except for the color and tool windows... and the color wheel isn't too complex to understand either, it's pretty straightforward

-Antialiasing can be turned off forever in configuration

>Selection lines don't scale with zoom
?????????
If it gets the job done, barely matters honestly...

Paint.net saves bitmaps in whatever they need to be automatically, that's the default option
Only downside it has is not being able to do animations in pdn, as in no timeline and such, but it's a pretty solid program for pixel art if you can't get Aseprite for whatever reason

also it has alpha and layers as well so :shrug:

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:11 AM
Veteran Member