I feel so stupid...

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I've recently tried to download a few cave story mods (i.e. WTF Story and The Witching Hour), but instead of getting an application that I can just play instantly, I get a file full of varied sets of data and exe files. I'm not too good at computers, so I have absolutely no idea what to do about this. Please help me! :pignon2:

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
open doukutsu.exe

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:41 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
p180197-0-5steploop2.jpg

this may help you in the future if you ever need to accomplish a task without our expert assistance

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Coffee said:
open doukutsu.exe
Uhhhh...

It's not working.

When I tried to open the .exe file, it asked me to extract something from some other file. What should I be extracting? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Maybe it's because I use Mac instead of PC…?

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Banned
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
UM

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

From the sounds of it, you need to >read the wikipedia page on what compressed folders are<, and draw your conclusions from there.

If the mod is older, you may need to extract the contents into a folder with an existing copy of Cave Story and overwrite the contents as required.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:33 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
bobbyis said:
Dunc2403 said:
yeah I think bobbyis has summed up our feelings on the matter fairly well
its not really nice of you guys to make fun of him like that. he already told us that he isnt familiar with computers, so give him a break. its not a requirement that he has to

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
recolorme said:
its not really nice of you guys to make fun of him like that. he already told us that he isnt familiar with computers, so give him a break. its not a requirement that he has to
UM

No seriously, please just leave it alone, it'a already painful enough.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
but uh theres really no need to an asshole about it though. im pretty sure you didnt know what compressed files when you first used a computer

like i said, not everyone is experienced with everything. lets not give him a hard time

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
From the sounds of it, you need to >read the wikipedia page on what compressed folders are<, and draw your conclusions from there.

If the mod is older, you may need to extract the contents into a folder with an existing copy of Cave Story and overwrite the contents as required.
m8 he already said he's on a mac, he hasn't got a clue

cave story mods are windows only

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:38 AM
cant he use a windows sorta emulator thing to play the mods? it may work, but it also may be a bit too complicated for him to do it

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:36 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
recolorme said:
cant he use a windows sorta emulator thing to play the mods? it may work, but it also may be a bit too complicated for him to do it

I'm on a Mac 90-ish percent of the time, and that's what I do.

Thing is, I use a program that I paid for to have all the Wine binaries and pre-made installers, cause Wine is a pain to get CoreAudio to even function at all in it's vanilla/free state.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Hmm... maybe I could use that.

What is the program, and how much does it cost?