I can make a requested character.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
andwhyisit said:
Changed from what? Is there some Samus-personality-defining Metroid game that I have failed to play? :p

No. And that's a bit of a defining characteristic. Nah, I don't know. The people complaining seemed to think it turned her into someone whiny and submissive, instead of the self-sufficient bounty hunter she was previously shown as.
Lace said:
If we wanted to make it REALLY look like samus though, you'd hace to do some quick assembly hacks in order to make spin jumping, shark skarking, and increase her height.
Or somebody who knew ASM could do it instead... I might be willing to do the sprites for it though.

And for the gravity suit, you could probably replace the mimiga mask, and make it so that the air tank equips it with TSC.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM
jed37 said:
but I think Dubby's seizure might have actually been a sign of approval.

Oh hell no. HELL no. I've played every single metroid game many times, including almost all of the various hacks. Other M is linear, and changed so many of the core tenants of what makes a metroid game a metroid game. Not to mention, yes, it was very sexist. I can name no less than five metroid hacks that are significantly, significantly, better than Other M. Here, perhaps reading this will change your mind about Other M.

I honestly hope Sakamoto got fired for Other M, but that's fairly unlikely. *sigh*

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GUYS!!! LET'S NOT GET INTO A FLAME WAR ABOUT IT!!! I'M SORRY IF MY REQUEST MADE A WHOLE THREAD GO OFF INTO RIDICULOUS REDUNDANT ARGUMENT THAT EVERYONE AND THEIR DOG HAS ALREADY HEARD OVER 9000 TIMES!!!!!

Now that I have your attention, I plan to make a hack with Samus as the main character. Wish me luck! (And I will credit you for the sprites. Now to apply them...)

EDIT: Does anyone know how to properly run these sprites? I converted them to the .pbm the originals were in, but all I got was an error message...

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:01 PM
Absentee Modder
Thunderchin said:
Does anyone know how to properly run these sprites? I converted them to the .pbm the originals were in, but all I got was an error message...

Yeah, you need to use a HEX editor to add "(C)Pixel" (without quotes) to the end of the files. Pixel made it that way so people wouldn't screw with the sprites, I believe.

Or, better yet, there's a setting in CaveEditor to remove the need for the (C)Pixel.

And don't worry about a flame war. I'm pretty sure there's only one person, if any, with a strong enough opinion on this to fight about it. One person or less does not an argument make.

Happy hacking!

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:39 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Apr 27, 2011 at 2:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
jed37 said:
Yeah, you need to use a HEX editor to add "(C)Pixel" (without quotes) to the end of the files. Pixel made it that way so people wouldn't screw with the sprites, I believe.

Or, better yet, there's a setting in CaveEditor to remove the need for the (C)Pixel.

Tried quite a few dozen times. Failed every one of them miserably. Tried overwriting the (C)Pixel requirement (string in Doukutsu.exe 28 43 29 50 69 78 65 6C) with 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 (Does that need to be FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF?). I tried editing both of my sprites (Arms and MyChar, both .pbm files with the correct filename) in a hex editor to have 28 43 29 50 69 78 65 6C at the very end of the file (Adding, not overwriting). No luck.

error.log says:
...\CaveStory\data\MyChar.pbm,1
...\CaveStory\data\Arms.pbm,1

Miscellaneous information: I am converting the .png files to .pbm using GIMP 2.6.

What am I doing wrong?

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:20 AM
Been here way too long...
Lace said:
ADDENDUM:
If you do this and are still having problems, right click on your cs directory and got to properties and make sure that it is NOT read-only.
That, I believe.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:25 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
What about the fact that's he's actually converting them to .pbm, the actual file extension (portable bitmap)?

Save it as a .bmp, then change the extension manually (rename it).

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:51 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I am pleased to report that thanks to the new weapon and character sprites from jed37, and some tech support from Lace and GIRakaCHEEZER, that Samus Aran is kicking some Mimiga ass once again. (And someone asked what the Mimiga Mask sprite could be? Well, how 'bout those sprites be Zero Suit Samus?)

Thanks a lot. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be remaking Curly Story, but now with Samus. Who to put in Curly's place?...

Happy modding everyone.

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:15 AM
Absentee Modder
Maybe I could make the zero suit sprites if you want.

And as for the Curly sprites... I'm not sure. All I can say is, on Dubby's behalf... NOT Adam Malkovich.

EDIT: Zero suit!
zerosuit.png

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:06 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
jed37 said:
Maybe I could make the zero suit sprites if you want.

And as for the Curly sprites... I'm not sure. All I can say is, on Dubby's behalf... NOT Adam Malkovich.

EDIT: Zero suit!
zerosuit.png

I like it, Jed! (Though I am split as far as removing the Mimiga Mask altogether, replacing it with a "No Suit Disguise" kind of deal.)

And I'll be recoloring the Quote sprites. Samus' best friend from the manga will kick ass alongside her...I would like to introduce Armstrong Houston.

p124568-1-armstronghouston.png

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:14 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I refuse to believe that chunky man with the titsuit also just happened to be raised by Chozo and a bounty hunter.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:25 AM
Absentee Modder
p124570-0-idisapprove.png

I disapprove.

Also, I don't think the nintendo power comic is the same thing as the manga. And I think you'd need something other than a recolored Quote to represent that character anyway.

But it's your mod, do with it what you wish.