I bring you: ROBOTS! (Also "Not" Sue)

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Along the path for creating my new mod, Arthur's Story, I've been doing some respriting. Gee, if only the whole process were as easy and fun as this part. Aside from really minor changes, I've significantly edited three pages so far: The main character, Hell and Curly. In order of best to least impressive:

I'm very proud of this Hell sheet. I transformed all the butes and mesas into those cute blue robots (color's slightly off due to the limits of the spritesheet, but there's no changing that). In action, this sheet looks very good; I'm especially happy with the sword butes (who work perfect) and my solution of the problem of what to do with dead Mesas. This was built off the robots themselves, the stuff already on the sheet, the nemesis, a cannon from Megaman 4, and Kaeso's beautiful "jetpack soldier" sprites for the death animation, the base of the flying butes and all the fire you see. Only problems are that the archer bute edit doesn't really point his gun at the right angle when shooting up (any more tilted than it is looks ugly) and the projectiles the mesas shoot appear in front of the cannon for a moment before being thrown (also, I can't tell where to go to alter them--my guess is the tileset). If anyone wants this, please ask and I'll almost certainly let you; Kaeso already said he's ok with that. This one's good enough that you might actually get some kicks out of sticking it in place of the real sheet and just playing the original hell with robots.

This Curly edit's ok. Nothing special, really. His death animation, which of course isn't on the same page, is the same as the hit animation of the blue robots only with his body sliced in half, which works as I intend to create an edited "sword" as my main weapon if/when I figure out how (it will not, by the way, be a knife edit). The color limitations really irked me on this one, because I had to throw away a very good three-shade head that Kaeso sent me for an elite robot and do my best two-shade imitation, only to find that two shades really couldn't cut it for that design.

Finally, the main character's little more than a rip of Sue. I made his/her ears much shorter, which took a surprising ammount of work, and of course a few frames of animation had to be made myself and the shirt color is slightly different due to palletes, but I would really love any advice on how to make him look any more different from Sue while still using this base. On the plus side, if soemeone wants to make a mod that actually stars Sue (or a short-eared Sue), this spritesheet could save a few minutes.

Anyways, anyone got any comments on what I've got here? I absolutely can't do facepics at all, so I'm gonna also use this opportunity to make a preemptive request for Arthur facepics.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
there are no color limitations.
I mean, there are, but they have really easy workarounds.
if you edit your file with cave editor, you can change which colors you are limited to, or you can open a new paint document, copy your image in, and save it as the original file, and you will have no limits.

this might be in the wrong forum, but nice work!

my computer spontaneously fixed itself. =D

afreet

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:25 AM
Hoxtilicious
Pronouns: he/him
The first sheet is actually stolen from Crowned, with a few edits and extra additions.

Mine:
diph.php

Ripoff:
diph.php

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
The first sheet is actually stolen from Crowned, with a few edits and extra additions.

Mine:
diph.php

Ripoff:
diph.php

His are just the old pixel sprite sheets redone with blue robots, if you can give me any proof that it is an actual rip-off, I'm all ears. (His sword guy uses the sword from the original npchell) This in no way is a ripoff of yours, unless the fact that he too is using robots for npchell.pbm is ripping off your idea, in which case I'd say you can't even call that a ripoff. People use robots all the time. So, what I'm still saying is that there is no proof that this is a rip-off.

Also, have you released the crowned witch on these forums yet? I looked around a bit, but didn't see anything about it. Probably just need to look harder though, a link would be nice if you wish to support my laziness.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:56 AM
Hoxtilicious
I somewhere released a screenshot with those robots in them.
Somewhere in the Crowned thread.
I'll have a look at it tomorow.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:02 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
S. P. Gardebiter said:
I somewhere released a screenshot with those robots in them.
Somewhere in the Crowned thread.
I'll have a look at it tomorow.

This is still failure of proof, his are just based on the blue robot sprites from npcregu, edited to fit what the npc was doing. I mean, the robot has a different gun even, pointed at a different angle. I think your being hasty if your gonna call this a rip-off, cuz it seems pretty original to me. Besides, who's to say he even saw that screeny? His just vary so much from yours, and to say he based it off yours would be a rash statement, seeing as yours is based off the blue robot (that's what the outline of yours looks like) and his is based off the blue robot. Please, if you wish, explain to me the reasoning that would make you proclaim this to be a rip-off.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Proof it's not a ripoff: Look at Bricks death sequence for the robots. Looks nothing like S.P's. I think someone's just jealous that Brick's look better.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:15 PM
Hoxtilicious
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Please, if you wish, explain to me the reasoning that would make you proclaim this to be a rip-off.

They are both based on the same sprite and both are color edits of this sprite :p
Plus it's totally the same idea with the sword robots and gun robots and so on.
The gun isn't totally the same though.
But note that you can always make it look like it's totally your own idea with sprite editing :p

Even if he only stealed the idea. Take a look a how he started the text:

Brickman said:
The main character, Hell and Curly. In order of best to least impressive:

*image*

I'm very proud of this Hell sheet. I transformed all the butes and mesas into those cute blue robots (color's slightly off due to the limits of the spritesheet, but there's no changing that). In action, this sheet looks very good; I'm especially happy with the sword butes (who work perfect) and my solution of the problem of what to do with dead Mesas.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:26 PM
"Huzzah!"
The idea of using robots in the Cave Story universe is so common that it's silly to think this isn't just a coincidence. Brick has not stolen Garde's work at all -- the sheets aren't based on one another a single bit. Clearly this is no more of a case of idea theft than two different doctors prescribing the same cure for the same disease. ;o

@Brick: I'm liking that robo-hell sheet. Out of curiosity, where did the Mesa-cannons come from? I think I may have a use for those (if you don't mind), provided they weren't directly lifted from another game or some such.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Nice edit of the huge-guy-who-hurls-blocks-for-a-living monster thing. Well... there seems to be some resemblance between the mini robots, but I must admit he did make a few of his own original sprite there in that same spritesheet as well... =/

I smell a flame-war >.>;;

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:07 AM
Have to agree with Metalogz, though if you pull the admin card, that would be dirty, SP,
the ban card, I mean. =P

Feb 5, 2009 at 2:55 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Metalogz said:
Nice edit of the huge-guy-who-hurls-blocks-for-a-living monster thing. Well... there seems to be some resemblance between the mini robots, but I must admit he did make a few of his own original sprite there in that same spritesheet as well... =/

I smell a flame-war >.>;;

It still means nothing if they look alike, it's conicidental because they're both based off of the blue robot sprite and the npchell. Nothing at all was stolen from garde's, even if brick managed to see this "screeny" that contained garde's sprite in action. To call this a ripoff is completely pointless. Sure, they're both robots. But robots are common, especially in cavestory. And the gun? Well, that's common in cavestory too. If the robot holding the gun and using the sword is what garde calls a ripoff, then garde doesn't know what a ripoff is. And, as I must state again, brick's robot is using the sword that the bute in the original cavestory used, not based off of garde's. There's nothing more to prove, unless Brick himself claimed he ripped SP off.

The real victim here is pixel, which everyone is stealing from. It would kinda be hard not to though, as we are modding his game.

Feb 5, 2009 at 3:37 AM
/end
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The real victim here is pixel, which everyone is stealing from. It would kinda be hard not to though, as we are modding his game.

There's one thing we can all agree on, both Brick and Garde are stealing from Pixel.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:11 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Beholder stole the precious bots

Before this, I used the robots as well when I did the PresidentX bot mockup picture, and this isn't even in a mod! I would technically be stealing by this certain definition of it, not S. P. or Brickman (Despite the fact I did give proper credit in the pic's description)...

EDIT: Nevertheless, they both did a really nice job with the spritework (As well as Kaeso for the base sprites that Brickman said he used for the bots' death animation, my apologies for not including this detail that was already stated in the 1st post).

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:15 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
MetaSeraphim said:
There's one thing we can all agree on, both Brick and Garde are stealing from Pixel.

It's not considered stealing when it's done with permission from the victim. Didn't we get Pixel's permission to mod his game? o.o...

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Since Xaser asked, I'd like to restate that the cannons are from Megaman 4. Also, the gun is the nemesis, and the only sprites I used not from Pixel or Megaman 4 were Kaeso's, and that was only for the fire, the flying and death poses and some inspiration on Curly's head.

I never even knew about Garde's spritesheet. Probably because, if memory serves, he never got far enough in that mod to use it. Unless I have the wrong version.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:02 PM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Brickman said:
Since Xaser asked, I'd like to restate that the cannons are from Megaman 4. Also, the gun is the nemesis, and the only sprites I used not from Pixel or Megaman 4 were Kaeso's, and that was only for the fire, the flying and death poses and some inspiration on Curly's head.

I never even knew about Garde's spritesheet. Probably because, if memory serves, he never got far enough in that mod to use it. Unless I have the wrong version.

I would also like to add that he asked me for permission to use my sprites and I said yes, so.. he isn't a rip off.

Back