How did you find Cave Story?

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:42 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm just curious. I found out about the game in the early Feburary issues of Freeloader in 1up.com

Apr 1, 2005 at 1:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found it posted in the news section of a webcomic I read, Miracle of Science. I recommend it. The plot is usually not funny per se, but it is enjoyable.
I noticed Skyewelse post about his CS site in AGTP's forums.

Apr 1, 2005 at 6:23 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I think I first noticed it when visiting Aeon Genesis Translation's and saw it on the main page update as the 50th release. I tend to frequent that site since most of the translations they are working on are games that I find interesting and I keep hoping for news about Ys VI's translation. But the odd thing was that I did not check it out immediately since I had no idea what kind of game it was. I then later read a review of it over at Dimondsoft Forums while looking into a MegaMan X fangame project they are hosting and they compared it to Metroid. The review praised the game very highly and I love anything related to Metroid so I decided to definitely check it out, however I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did. After playing it, I was sure that I wanted to create something special for the game and to hopefully get other people interested in the game by spreading the word around.

I'm glad I found that review...

-SkyeWelse

May 23, 2005 at 6:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found Cave Story through a site called Emuscene. A thread in the Emuscene forums linked to a thread in Ambrosia's forums that had details on how to manually apply most of AGTP's translation patch to the Mac port of the game. I played it, and loved it. :(

May 26, 2005 at 9:13 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was guided to it by the very hand of fate, at which point I discovered why life was worth living.

May 28, 2005 at 3:27 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
I found Cave Story through a site called Emuscene. A thread in the Emuscene forums linked to a thread in Ambrosia's forums that had details on how to manually apply most of AGTP's translation patch to the Mac port of the game. I played it, and loved it.
Ah. Isn't the internet wonderful? That is pretty much how I discovered it as well. I mean, even after the news of the game's release was staring me dead in the face while checking AGTP's site, it wasn't until I started visiting random other forums that I found out how good this game really was. I'm very glad I did.

I was guided to it by the very hand of fate, at which point I discovered why life was worth living.

Hehe, I would completely agree with that feeling after playing through it. It really is a true gem of gaming. To think, that one man was able to create something like this that has something so unique a feeling and gameplay experience that multi-million dollar corporations with entire studios dedicated to a gaming project rarely capture in today's games is extraordinary.

-SkyeWelse

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:58 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I found Cave Story after my friend and co-poster SmileyChris posted a story about it it on our site, Webfroot, kicking off a week of freeware games.

I downloaded it that day, english patched it, and was sucked into the story. I still haven't finished it on "save the girl", but I just reached Hell yesterday; it's seldom that a game enthralls me like Doukutsu has.

Oct 7, 2005 at 12:01 AM
Cats777
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
I found this wonderful game through 4chan.

Oct 7, 2005 at 8:36 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I sometimes read articles from InsideMacGames.com. Justin Fic, creator of Kill Monty, listed several games that were inspirations for him, and he mentioned Doukutsu Monogatari as a game that is the spitting image of the author's vision. I was definitely intrigued and he had mentioned it as a Mac game so I was happy to find that there was a freeware game of this calibre available on Mac.

Oct 10, 2005 at 9:06 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My good friend Inkoddi told me.

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:26 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
On freeloader, sharkey is one funny guy and I found the link to freeloader while checking out his site.

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:21 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
A friend on IRC was going around asking if anybody'd played it, and everyone who didn't, he threw the game files at. Now we're -all- hooked.

Dec 3, 2005 at 8:52 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
fun i was right about to leave the AGTP site but i refreshed the main page and then i saw it

Mar 29, 2008 at 7:52 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Someone posted a link to it on another forum.

Mar 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Friend told me.