Hero Core

May 10, 2010 at 2:35 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
In case you've not heard, Daniel Remar, maker of Iji, has recently released a game called Hero Core. It's a sequel to his old Hero game (like Hero 3D in Iji). The game itself is somewhat short if you just play it through, but each of the three difficulty modes are in themselves worth a run (they all have unique maps and layout), and there's also boss rush and a randomly-generated-map minigame to play.

The game is just challenging enough to keep you going, and the music is quite captivating retro-chiptune stuff. The graphics are minimalist, and extremely well executed. The gameplay itself involves a bit of exploration and combat, with the screen sometimes becoming awash with enemy projectiles. Save points are generous, and the game features a handy system by which you can warp to any save you've been to. Bosses are each unique and require some strategy to figure out their patterns and weaknesses.

Here is a screenshot:
p100262-0-herocore.png

Link: http://www.remar.se/daniel/herocore.php

May 10, 2010 at 3:41 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Looks like fun. I'll download it tomorrow when I get a chance.

May 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
I played through Hero the other day, I should check this out when I have the time...
Hero was a quick play, with only the final boss getting on my nerves :confused:
Music is dependent on how good your midi sounds... mine sounded really awful...

Hero Core looks like a big upgrade from Hero :confused: It has an awesome trailer :

EDIT: Played through it on normal, fun stuff... I might recommend playing Hero first for some nostalgia when playing hero core. Hero core is better in every way though :o Gotta play through it again on hard ...

May 13, 2010 at 1:28 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Who cares about DeceasedCrap.

May 17, 2010 at 4:26 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
X-Calibar said:
EDIT: Played through it on normal, fun stuff... I might recommend playing Hero first for some nostalgia when playing hero core. Hero core is better in every way though :D Gotta play through it again on hard ...

Dont play through it on hard, unless you want to break your fingers from mashing they fire key (especially the light robot boss in hard). took me like 1hour and 11 minutes to do normal, almost 2 hours to do hard, the bosses are so much harder, and opening some doors is truely hell from how much bullets are flying everywhere, i really hate those massive guys, you have to freaking vs 2 at the same time in a room in hard. Though it was sorta nice to play hard because the actual world is different, so your playing the same game, but you sorta aren't. the secret room in hard gives you a funny power, not to mention you have to be max lvl hp to be able to recieve it. The game music was awesome.

May 17, 2010 at 6:13 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
That same secret is also in easy mode actually, behind an unremovable barrier again in area 2. I played through annihilation mode, it was tough (Especially the annihilator fight! Gah) but it was interesting. The final boss in annihilation mode was actually disappointingly easy, but at least it was pretty awesome.

Haven't beat boss rush, not that I tried all that hard.

EDIT: Also you know you get autofire with space key so you don't have to mash the button yeah?

May 17, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
Noxid said:
That same secret is also in easy mode actually, behind an unremovable barrier again in area 2. I played through annihilation mode, it was tough (Especially the annihilator fight! Gah) but it was interesting. The final boss in annihilation mode was actually disappointingly easy, but at least it was pretty awesome.

Haven't beat boss rush, not that I tried all that hard.

EDIT: Also you know you get autofire with space key so you don't have to mash the button yeah?

Isnt auto fire only for bossrush mode?

Oh o-o i didnt find that secret in easy mode, i only found the other secret in easy mode(and hard mode) with the times remar took to beat the game.

Im pretty sure im near the end of annihilator mode, well i hope ._. i just beat the 3rd boss in it and i've gotten 8 of the computers.

edit: oh awesome i didnt know it worked for other places kick ass, i dont have to break my hand anymore

May 18, 2010 at 7:48 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Beat annilator mode, yeah your right, the final boss was pretty easy once i had figured out the best place to stay while dodging his spray of bullets ^^;, i love how its a cameo from the other game

lol beating annilator made the hp scanner option, that freaking would of been useful to have it sooner ^^;

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator

This mode actually exists; I tried it. Couldn't beat a single boss, but then again, I'm not reallyjoel's dad.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
iji wasn't that impressive, but that game is!

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:21 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Noxid said:

This mode actually exists; I tried it. Couldn't beat a single boss, but then again, I'm not reallyjoel's dad.

Now that....... was insane! how the hell do you unlock this madness, i got the secret stuff in the game and did the hardest difficulty, so what do you need to do to get that?

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:33 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
With Annihilation mode unlocked, go to the difficulty select screen on New Game and hold right arrow key for a few seconds.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:11 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Noxid said:
With Annihilation mode unlocked, go to the difficulty select screen on New Game and hold right arrow key for a few seconds.

lol thanks.
Fuck i cant even kill one, how the hell does he do expel so fast!

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
started playing through this today

I beat the final boss in about an hour and 12 mins, but didn't level up my buster to level 3, or get the second suit, or get 5 of the comps, so I'm doing that now, along side the annihilation mode.

I didn't try hard mode yet, I guess I'll start it after annihilation

anyway I really love the visual style and how each difficulty has a different story, pretty cool

edit: autofire is for pussies

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Retro is by far the best language setting.