Captain Fabulous said:
keep in mind you're being ridiculous.

welcome to the cave story theories forum on miraigamer.net

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:08 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
ragnaroq said:
welcome to the cave story theories forum on miraigamer.net

It wasn't always this way and still kind of isn't.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:11 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Some of the theories make sense, like Ballos's splintered soul. Also notice that I did not tell you to stop.
What do critters eat, anyway? The Grasstown and Labyrinth critters would have flora to feast upon, but there's no plantlife in the First Cave, Last Cave or Egg Corridor. The entire island's ecosystem is completely unstable unless you imagine grass where there isn't any. Although maybe it's on the verge of collapse, because there is nothing to eat the critters in the First and Last Caves.
So those places are obviously figments of Quote's imagination, and he was strapped to the ceiling of Mimiga Village. No one noticed.

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:15 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Captain Fabulous said:
Some of the theories make sense, like Ballos's splintered soul. Also notice that I did not tell you to stop.
What do critters eat, anyway? The Grasstown and Labyrinth critters would have flora to feast upon, but there's no plantlife in the First Cave, Last Cave or Egg Corridor. The entire island's ecosystem is completely unstable unless you imagine grass where there isn't any. Although maybe it's on the verge of collapse, because there is nothing to eat the critters in the First and Last Caves.
So those places are obviously figments of Quote's imagination, and he was strapped to the ceiling of Mimiga Village. No one noticed.

That or they aren't actually herbivores and there is some alternative. OR maybe they're like camels and are fuzzy balls of fat in search of food at all times. I assume they would deflate when they begin to use up their reserves of fat, but what would they be then?

Jun 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pancakes with ears.
Delicious.
Alright, critters could be carnivores, and they eat bats, which is why they jump. But do they look carnivorous to you? If there's a reason for their jumping and flying, it's probably to reach grass on the ceiling. They're too pudgy and slow to be insectivores. The giant frogs might eat critters as well as bats, and the Gaudi eat critters too. Critters in the Waterway feed on algae.
But this has absolutely nothing to do with the Hermit Gunsmith, who could never eat little enough to sustain a population in the First Cave.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
explosive said:
I would have figured that the Gunsmith would have gone off somewhere to eat something, after all, there seems to be no food in the first cave, and you can probably assume he went to the Mimiga Village to get some.
(*glances at Noxid*)

I think he noticed his Polar Star was gone and decided to go look for it. He could have grabbed a bite for the road, though.

Jun 10, 2010 at 4:14 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
darkcrusader said:
I think he noticed his Polar Star was gone and decided to go look for it. He could have grabbed a bite for the road, though.

Damn, that makes sense. Why didn't we think of this?

Jun 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Captain Fabulous said:
But this has absolutely nothing to do with the Hermit Gunsmith, who could never eat little enough to sustain a population in the First Cave.

Who says he couldn't?
The critters appear to be about man-size, and assuming that each on is about 40% edible, that still gives him about 2-4 days per critter.
And I think it's pretty evident that they reproduce quickly. >.>

Anyways, yeah.
Lookin' for his gun kinda makes sense. o.o;

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The crocodiles are surrounded by bones, I figure they ate humans or passing baddies.

In regards to the Mimigas, if you kill the fish, it does respawn, right? So it's simple to conclude that they could have an unlimited supply of fish, since it is fed by the waterways.

Another thing is, the whole thing about eating the red mushrooms lead me to believe the Mimigas probably ate a lot of other kinds of mushrooms. Isn't that what the farm on the upper right is for?

Or barring that, plenty of mushrooms grow in the cemetary if you can avoid the random knife-wielding guy.

Speaking of which, there's got to be something special about that guy, like he must be the guardian of the giant mushroom and the evil memory mushroom.

Furthermore, getting back to the hermit, the door to the mimiga village is guarded by 'DOOR'. Door is the only door in the game, and it can see you coming and destroy you. It doesn't respawn like other monsters...

The polar star can defeat it... does this mean perhaps that the hermit put the door there to keep something out, or to keep something in? I don't figure it was to keep Quote in because you can't even get close to the door without busting the walls with the polar star anyway.

A lot of good observations here about hermit as I didn't think much about him but when you get the whole floating island context it does seem strange for him to be there.

Here's one random idea: Jenka is Misery's mother. Whoever Misery's father was, one would hope it is someone of some significance... could Hermit fit that bill?

Oct 11, 2010 at 6:43 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
tyciol said:
The crocodiles are surrounded by bones, I figure they ate humans or passing baddies.
that's what i thought too... likely humans, as there's no humanoid baddies in the sand zone

tyciol said:
In regards to the Mimigas, if you kill the fish, it does respawn, right? So it's simple to conclude that they could have an unlimited supply of fish, since it is fed by the waterways.
yep. last Chinfish, but a whole lotta puffers on the way because of Iron Head.

tyciol said:
Another thing is, the whole thing about eating the red mushrooms lead me to believe the Mimigas probably ate a lot of other kinds of mushrooms. Isn't that what the farm on the upper right is for?
Flowers, not mushrooms, but still correct. i know i saw yellow and white.

tyciol said:
Or barring that, plenty of mushrooms grow in the cemetary if you can avoid the random knife-wielding guy.
sentient mushrooms...

tyciol said:
Speaking of which, there's got to be something special about that guy, like he must be the guardian of the giant mushroom and the evil memory mushroom.
or he's the gravekeeper and has the knife to fight off the mushrooms. as for why he attacks Quote, Quote is kinda mushroom shaped, and he IS white, and who knows how long the guy's been in there.

tyciol said:
Furthermore, getting back to the hermit, the door to the mimiga village is guarded by 'DOOR'. Door is the only door in the game, and it can see you coming and destroy you. It doesn't respawn like other monsters...

The polar star can defeat it... does this mean perhaps that the hermit put the door there to keep something out, or to keep something in? I don't figure it was to keep Quote in because you can't even get close to the door without busting the walls with the polar star anyway.
obv. keep something out. there's nothing to keep in really, especially with the shoot-a-blocks in the way. What, is the question there.

tyciol said:
Here's one random idea: Jenka is Misery's mother. Whoever Misery's father was, one would hope it is someone of some significance... could Hermit fit that bill?
perhaps... although you have to consider aging. perhaps that's why Jenka appears old regardless of her magic; she's preventing him from aging/dying by aging herself instead.

@Cpt Fab's posts:
Gaudi eat Mimigas, iirc
Egg Corridor: there's two hollow sky dragon eggs. gee, i wonder what happened to them.
First Cave: Algae again.
Last Cave: seemingly endless supply of bats from somewhere for the critters to eat. the Red Demon probably eats the critters

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Maybe critters are a type of evolutionary species, that evolve based on what they eat. For example, Power critters can fly a bit, likely to eat the Jellies(which turns them blue?) Green critters eat various plants and flora, which turn them green. The critters in the Last Cave eat lava, which not only turns them red, but also lets them survive in the lava(maybe a hiding place to eat bats?), ect.

I think it's possible the gunsmith was trapped in the first cave. The evil door was there, blocking his way out, so he had to stay in the cave making a gun out of magic gunsmithery to blast the door away. Or, he built the door. Then he's just crazy

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:44 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Perfectly simple explaination:

The Hermit Gunsmith never existed at all. He's just a hologram put there by either the Jjarro or the Illuminati.

Or maybe he's a Jjarro.

Better one:

Or maybe he's a completely outside force that wanted the Doctor dead. He/his employers knew Quote was badass, so they repaired him (what else would cause him to suddenly wake up after 10 years in a damp cave?) and planted their agent in the cave to give him a weapon. Whenever he's "out", it's because they teleported him out.

As for why he upgrades the Star into the Spur... maybe he was just bored sitting in that cave waiting to be beamed out? Or maybe it took longer than they expected to reactivate Quote so he didn't have time to finish reassembling his alien weapon.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:32 PM
Banned
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I think that the person who helps you in the cabin is either a possesed computer or the same person who left the map system on a cliff in Mimiga village.I wouldn't say these ideas are stupid, I mean weirder things have happened.

1.The door in the first cave is possesed, and it's the only one in the game.

2.There are tiny people called the littles who live in a room on the edge of the island(not to mention the large gap in the floor right before the door to their house.people that tiny would never be able to jump that.)

3.The bookcase in the prefab building can turn back time

4.How does Mr. little carry the Nemesis?How does Quote carry all of his crap???

5.The Doctor made a ruby out of red flowers

6.QUOTE'S A ROBOT!!!