Help with H/V triggers please?

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:37 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Can someone help me with H/V triggers please? I'm trying to edit the reservoir so that a whole bunch of chinfish spawn when you jump in the reservoir, so I made an H/V trigger just past the fisher dude. (For it now it just plays a test MSG, I'll get it to actually do something once I get it work.)

The problem is, instead of playing the test MSG, it calls the Toroko running away event. (Yes, I set the trigger to call the test event) Can there only be 1 H/V trigger per map? Or am I doing something wrong? Either way, if there is a guide to using H/V triggers somewhere, that would be great, my searches have turned up nothing.

After typing this I realized that there is more than one H/V in Hell B1, so I looked at those and saw that the NPC's are identical except for the event, so I tried that and now the only difference is that you need to pick up the locket before it works =/ (although I did learn that flag 1000 switches horizontal/vertical, which is handy) so I tried copying the NPC from hell B1 and messed around some more, but still couldn't get my test MSG to play.

Sorry if that last paragraph is a little incoherent, i was typing it as I tried stuff.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:47 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
You can have a ton. Your script is wrong.

Make sure your event is numbered properly, in the correct place in the script (i.e. event 0300 must be after event 0100) with four digits, and has an <END on it. It sounds like it's written incorrectly, causing it to skip to the next closest event.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:03 AM
AH-HA! I had #350 instead of #0350.

Thanks alot Lyger! Now the event calls every single frame in the row, but that I can figure out myself :rolleyes: I may need help getting NPCs to appear, though, I tried just changing their visibility flag, but that only works when you enter the room. I'll do some searching first, though.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:08 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Yeah flags are more permanent in-between-map-changes; for something that happens real time on the map you want to use a <CNP, however that resets as soon as you leave the room unless you set a flag.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:23 AM
So when I pick a flag number I assume I can't pick anything thats been used so far, but how do I know if a flag has been used? I don't want to just start adding flags randomly and end up screwing up the whole game later on, then search for where I added the messy one.

Sep 22, 2008 at 5:07 AM
Banned
"Fresh from the Bakery"
All I know is that sprite 46 is a trigger of some sorts.
(You probably alredy knew this)