Hell II

Nov 22, 2006 at 5:56 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I decided to make a new (and harder) Hell last week. Here it is.

Heavy Press and Ballos are exactly the same, so the first three are all I've changed - though they should be so taxing on your xp and health that Ballos should be a ton harder.

See how well you do.

Link to Downloads

Nov 23, 2006 at 9:00 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
looks like someone forgot a <QUA or two.
This is unbearable. The drop to curly is near-impossible. @_@

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:22 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Firstly, I have never come across a <QUA before; what is it? Secondly, after extensive testing I have found it possible to complete every stage of the first area without taking damage. This is called Hell II for a reason - that being it's hard. No-one says you have to beat it, and I have not done so yet (though I did make it to Heavy Press with my life pot - which I merely forgot to use, and that's as far as it goes: theoreticly it's possible).

Nov 24, 2006 at 1:00 AM
"..."
I was able to get down to Curly with 28 health and a lifepot before I decided that if I was going to seriously try to beat this I'd need to get my homemade Xbox2PC cord fixed - keyboard isn't cutting it.

Nov 24, 2006 at 7:08 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Just beat it, man I liked it alot =D

After the block dropping room though, it was kinda easier by far. My time was 3'34"6

Nov 24, 2006 at 5:45 PM
CeeAyy
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
I enjoyed this! You managed to make the level a little more taxing (though the third room is arguably easier as Chaddy said - more on this in a bit) whilst keeping with the thematic structure of the game's original levels!

A couple of points to make though:

1 - The first room is great. I love the 'time attack' routes you include that allow you to shave off a few seconds with a greater risk element involved - don't change a thing here.

EDIT: It's possibly to get trapped in this room and have no escape (short of Esc-F2ing); it's where the Deleets spawn - I appreciate that there's a great pit of 127 damage spikes inbetween, but you can take a hit and run through them and fall down. I appreciate it's not something you can really circumvent beyond perhaps including a death pit of spikes at the bottom so the player has a means to die, but then again, it's what Esc-F2 is for... ;D

2 - The block room is an interesting one. I would lower some of the platforms from the ceiling; whilst I'm fully aware that it's possible to do this room without being hit, it involves even more luck than the original version (the falling block configuration of which could be utterly obnoxious at times), as the blocks can fall and there's very little you can do about it - that said, that's precisely why you gave the player 46-51 hit points. ;D

EDIT: I found a bug in this room too - you can fall out of the level and not trigger the 'death' sequence underneath the... this is kind of hard to describe 'the four blocks', where there are four small blocks placed diagonally from each other about half-way through the level. That's about the worst description ever, but hopefully you know where I mean. Just drop down under there and you'll fall infinitely (until you hit reset).

3 - The third room is undeniably a step down in the difficulty department. The danger of having lots of Butes spawn is that experienced players can take them down with relative ease and then grab the powerups they drop - this isn't always the case if you use spikes as a detterent (which you do on occasion); the most notable example of which is the 'Bute Storm' after the skull platforms (I really liked those, BTW), where I just shot them all down , taking 10 damage in the process and getting back about 12 HP from the hearts, owing to the nice solid platform which acted as a nice pedastal for the powerup drops to rest on.

Addtionally, the third room is very open. I haven't tried this myself as I only had a single play through the mod, but I suspect that it's possible to just outrun all the Butes using massive Booster abuse; I think this is why Pixel had so many timed barriers - so you couldn't just charge through the level without some repurcussions (although if you play your cards right...).

EDIT: Yeah, I just speedrun this level now, and you can clear this room in about 15-20 seconds - by the end of it, you've got literally hundreds of Butes to deal with, but if you've been careful in the first room, you can just jump through them
4 - Just reading 'Welcome. I am Ballos. You die now.' made me chuckle; this in part due to the fact that I had to mash the Z and X keys and listen to his emo rant several hundred times in my many play throughs of the original level. Similarly with the uh, 'new ending' ;D

Overall, this is awesome! =D

--
CA

Nov 25, 2006 at 12:58 PM
I have decided to make changes to the third room. Firstly, I'm reinstating the two countdown timers near the end before you enter Heavy Press. I am also removing the some of the floor in this area, meaning that when the butes really start swarming - you're going to be utterly screwed for ten seconds if you didn't take time killing them.

Also, I'm adding more enterances for the bute fliers, which means that if you decide to take it slowly, you'll be going through for a long time. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

EDIT: Uploaded, check the first post.

Nov 25, 2006 at 1:58 PM
CeeAyy
I have decided to make changes to the third room. Firstly, I'm reinstating the two countdown timers near the end before you enter Heavy Press. I am also removing the some of the floor in this area, meaning that when the butes really start swarming - you're going to be utterly screwed for ten seconds if you didn't take time killing them.

Also, I'm adding more enterances for the bute fliers, which means that if you decide to take it slowly, you'll be going through for a long time. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

EDIT: Uploaded, check the first post.

OK, had a quick playthrough, so comments as follows:

1 - I'm not so keen on the changes made to Room 2 - you've squashed down the platforms a bit, but this is a problem when you consider you have to jet to them and a box drops, but you can't afford any crazy aerial dodging maneuvers as if you do, you'll fall out of the level; before it was possible to escape the boxes using some cunning stunts once you landed on the platforms, and this new design means that there are far more occasions when you cannot avoid taking a hit.

2 - The new amount of Butes adds a much-needed element of risk to speed-running the third room! I can still jet my way through it, but because of the pits on either side of the platform, you can't use that as a point to get your health back after tanking them. You CAN still detonate the Deleets and just grimace your way through the Bute onslaught, but it sets you back about 25 health...

3 - ...which is something you need for Heavy Press now - gone is the tactic of 'spam missiles until he dies' (unless you want to pay for it with health), and you now have to cleverly jump over the middle and boost up without getting hit. Only drawback to this change is that the spikes in the middle stay there when Heavy Press dies - I assume you're aware of this though, seeing as you made the damn level ;D

4 - Hooray! No more listening to that bloody dog whine about how Ballos is such an angry guy etc.! I got sick of seeing him too :)

--
CA

Nov 25, 2006 at 2:21 PM
Well, I did lower the platforms which I thought would make it more reasonable. I'll widen them a little for the next version. I also added a lot more skull blocks which works pretty well in my opinion.

I removed all the cutscenes (I think), because we all know the words anyway. I wonder if the bubbler level 3 could kill butes as they fly into you - it'd be an amazing new use for it.

Nov 25, 2006 at 3:20 PM
CeeAyy
Well, I did lower the platforms which I thought would make it more reasonable. I'll widen them a little for the next version. I also added a lot more skull blocks which works pretty well in my opinion.

Yeah, I did like the skull blocks - I meant to mention that in my last post.

Softmints said:
I removed all the cutscenes (I think), because we all know the words anyway. I wonder if the bubbler level 3 could kill butes as they fly into you - it'd be an amazing new use for it.

It's a little hit and miss - I used a similar tactic the first time I went through the block room on the original Hell; there's a small chance that they'll run through the gaps made in the shield and just hit you. Not sure how well it would work against such a huge magnitude of Butes - I suspect that you'd be attacked faster than you could spawn bubbles to take care of them. I might try it the next time I play through :)

--
CA

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:28 AM
"..."
Bringing back an old thread. Played it, liked it alot. My time 6'41'2 (have only beat it once so far.)

Only suggestions lower the high platforms a bit on room 2 (not much, just a tad).
And make room 3 less just run past it. I had much more fun shooting the guys then skiping them, but skiping them is more profitable.

Love these kinds of mods, I wish I had tried it earlier.

Jan 5, 2007 at 6:50 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
dude this is awesome almost beat it but death by press

i like this almost as much as Julian's King

Jan 22, 2007 at 10:51 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
hey softmints have you stopped making your mod julius crux?