Firehead
Pigaro
Lunar Soul

The Plan
To convert hell into 2 player. The game will have 3 different modes:

2 Player Race
diph.php

this shows the rough idea of what we want to achieve
In 2 player race the screen will be split in two so that each player has there own rectangle. Player one will be quote: he will be on the top screen and curly will be the second player and she will be on the second screen. The idea of this is to beat the other player to finish hell..

2 Player Co-op
diph.php

this shows the rough idea of what we want to achieve
In the co-operative setting the aim of the game is to beat the game in as little time as possible but with the help of the other player. The game will be on one screen with both the characters.

Normal
This is the normal 1 player mode that you play in CS original.

Changes to the original game
*There will be no curly to pick up.
*In your starting point you will be able to select your weapons and items. There will be no need to therefore have weapon energy capsules before you enter hell because your weapons go to level 1.
*We could potentially have an intro where Curly says that she found her way to this room after you and her got lost.

Important Information
*This is going to need some severe ASM hacking so if we manage to do this and that is a big if...then you can have fun playing this.
*Thanks to X-calibar (our very reliable source :muscledoc:) we were informed that someone else was working on Cave Story multiplayer!!! The project appears to be abandoned (for the moment). So this means being able to change characters and interact with others. So if this project goes successful we could think about reviving this project (although it would be bloody difficult!!)

Well we hope for the best that we can do this.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Lololol custom title!!

As cool as an idea it would be, it's never going to happen unless someone with much assembly (I assume) knowledge put enough time into it. This has been discussed before (just 2-player in general) but I really doubt anybody will take your request :/

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:47 PM
"Huzzah!"
it will probably require so much ASM hacking, that only hell will be playable and all but hell will have to be deleted.
no one will do it, and probably only noxid CAN do it... although its a great idea.
i think - it should be one screen though, and the camera focuses on the center between the players, and the players cannot go farther than screen size at a given moment. like Fable.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:54 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Voyce said:
i think - it should be one screen though, and the camera focuses on the center between the players, and the players cannot go farther than screen size at a given moment. like Fable.

He mentioned it would be split-screen though, not all on one screen.

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
No doors in hell. All hell rooms will be the same, but all the maps are connected. One moves with arrow keys(Quote) and another with keypad(Curly). Maybe I can make this with Game Maker. There are three modes: Co-op, Time Attack and Battle mode. Every player start with one Life Pot, Whismical Star,
Co-op: One player helps another. Curly can jump in Quote to use the Tow Rope.
Time Attack: The same as Co-op, but with Nikumaru Counter.
Battle mode: Who finish Hell first wins(with Nikumaru Counter).

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:03 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Well I thought it might be too hard. If you were going to do it on one screen then you would want to make Hell much harder so then more can be done. If you are doing a race it's much better to have two screens because if you are faster then someone then you will have to slow down.
So if this was to ever happen, I think you would need two modes.
I didn't realise this had already been discussed (sorry).

Edit:
Firehead said:
No doors in hell. All hell rooms will be the same, but all the maps are connected. One moves with arrow keys(Quote) and another with keypad(Curly). Maybe I can make this with Game Maker. There are three modes: Co-op, Time Attack and Battle mode. Every player start with one Life Pot, Whismical Star,
Co-op: One player helps another. Curly can jump in Quote to use the Tow Rope.
Time Attack: The same as Co-op, but with Nikumaru Counter.
Battle mode: Who finish Hell first wins(with Nikumaru Counter).

This is similar to what I was thinking. Modes make the game much more interesting. If you were able to do this it would be amazing!

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:27 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Lol don't be sorry. Mabye I'm just mad because whenever somebody starts a project they never finish it!

Sorry Firehead, but I don't really think you'll finish it. Don't get me wrong, it would be the coolest thing to see, but do you really have the dedication?

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
Tpcool said:
He mentioned it would be split-screen though, not all on one screen.

im saying that i think 1 screen is better both because of view and because it limits the two players to work together.

Jul 23, 2011 at 7:11 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Voyce said:
im saying that i think 1 screen is better both because of view and because it limits the two players to work together.

Oh, I assumed you were sticking with Kick Ass's original idea.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
Voyce said:

Yes that is why I suggested having different modes. So you have a race mode which would be 2 screens. But then a team mode where it is one screen...you could have other stuff as well but this is already complicated enough and it seems unlikely that it can be done.

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:57 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Tpcool said:
Lol don't be sorry. Mabye I'm just mad because whenever somebody starts a project they never finish it!

Sorry Firehead, but I don't really think you'll finish it. Don't get me wrong, it would be the coolest thing to see, but do you really have the dedication?
I never finish Game Maker projects. Anyway my unfinished projects don't have troubles, I just don't have time(everybody says this), and I can't do this task alone. Alone this project will take some months(Pixel took 5 YEARS).
Kick Ass said:
Well I thought it might be too hard. If you were going to do it on one screen then you would want to make Hell much harder so then more can be done. If you are doing a race it's much better to have two screens because if you are faster then someone then you will have to slow down.
So if this was to ever happen, I think you would need two modes.
I didn't realise this had already been discussed (sorry).

Edit:

This is similar to what I was thinking. Modes make the game much more interesting. If you were able to do this it would be amazing!

I was thinking. Co-Op and Time Attack don't have anymore a giant map, but the Contra system:
One player can reach until the end of the screen, wainting his/her partner. So the doors are still alive.

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:43 AM
CUSTOMIZED!
Yes I think it would be a good idea to keep the doors in. Bueno? I think that idea sounds good. However there is a huge problem with co-op mode is that if someone has to wait they could get killed. Maybe this is part of the fun but considering Hell is meant to be a race I am not sure if having a co-op will work as well.

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
So if one of the players would die, would they go back to the beginning, a specified checkpoint, or would dying end the game?

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:08 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Tpcool said:
So if one of the players would die, would they go back to the beginning, a specified checkpoint, or would dying end the game?

That's the same problem from having Co-op in Cave Story 3D, how exactley do you deal wth the issue of your team mate dying?
Is it game over, or do they respawn in the next area?

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:44 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
Yep I have no idea. But It would be much cooler to have a race. You can already finish Hell so why need a partner. Unless you make the bosses have more health...

Jul 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM
It would be nice if Hell changed to fit Co-op, that way you're forced to work together, such as quick puzzles where one player solves it while the other focuses on covering him/her.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Or you could have cooperative puzzles where you both have to find a switch to shoot at the same time.
Or something.

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:19 PM
LunarSoul said:
Or you could have cooperative puzzles where you both have to find a switch to shoot at the same time.
Or something.

Pretty much, that way you're also forced to stick together and watch each other's back or else the puzzles are impossible.

A boost in enemy numbers and stats simply isn't enough to make co-op worth playing.

Jul 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Definitely.
I think even adding a co-op gimmick to Heavy Press or Ballos would make co-op pretty fun.

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:20 PM
LunarSoul said:
Definitely.
I think even adding a co-op gimmick to Heavy Press or Ballos would make co-op pretty fun.

Definitely, although keeping Ballos the same would still be o.k., he's epic either way and being two against one it would be hard to predict his dash attack.