hbc port anyone?

Aug 17, 2008 at 3:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
so i was playing emulators on my wii via the homebrew channel and came to the realization that cave story on the homebrew channel would be an incredibly awesome addition to the wii homebrew community, but alas i dont know any programing languages or have any programs to program with, at least not til this semester is over. so this is my official request to anyone out there with the propper skills to do so, to port cave story to the hbc.

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:29 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
how is it to big? its 4.4mb the official wii sd card is 1gig

Aug 17, 2008 at 8:47 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
really? cuz my psp version seems to work pretty damn well, and theres no reason to get so angry with the caps n all, i mean i know rule 39 but seriously what r u pmsing or something (even tho that contradicts rule 30)

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Nevermind. Most forum members around here are like that, unfortunately. Don't fret, it's just acceptable behavior, apparently.

To port a game, you need access to its source code. This, we do not have. That would mean whoever would do this would have to reprogram the game from scratch. While a game engine like Cave Story's could be coded in the space of a few months, getting it to work out the same as the original would involve a lot of tweaking. And then there's the matter of extracting and porting all of the media used in the game; something you're unlikely to pull off with just a compiled binary and a hex editor.

In other words, this is a very daunting task. It's unlikely that you will find someone willing to do this just for the heck of it. Perhaps if you had the start of something to motivate potential developpers you'd have a little more luck though. Why not do a little research and see what you can come up with?

Welcome to the forums, btw.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
thanks at least someones civil around here, im taking game design classes this semester so maybe ill learn enough to at least start a porting project and maybe the guys at wiibrew will get interested, who knows and thanks didnt know that pixel didnt share the source code.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:32 PM
The Bartender
yon2501 said:
didnt know that pixel didnt share the source code.
I suppose if you could get ahold of him, you could try asking him for it. But if he didn't release his source publicly, he probably won't give it out to some random person. Still, IMO, it's your best shot.

CS was ported to PSP. I dunno much about that project, but maybe you can track it down and see where that leads you.

Aug 17, 2008 at 9:39 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i googled "cave story source code" and came up with this http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/cave-story-source/ seems pixel dose give the source code to certain programmers but just dosent release it on the net and i doubt he'd give it to me since i have no programing experience yet. but like i said maybe after i learn a lil somethin from my game design classes this semester.

Aug 17, 2008 at 11:58 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JacobX891 said:
By 'too big' I mean the entire game is so huge that it would take at least a year to copy it in its entirety.
YOU FUCKTARDS, THIS TOOK PIXEL 5 YEARS TO MAKE! NO ONE WILL EVER PORT THIS TO ANYTHING COMPLETELY! NEVER! SO JUST FUCK OFF!!! IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!!!
Jacob knows nothing obviously. It is possible but you need someone who can create a demo to show pixel. Then that person can receive the source code and start porting it over.

Oh and there are AmigaOS, Linux, Mac, X-Box, DS (incomplete), PSP and GP2X ports so far.

NOTE: Porting cave story requires good knowledge of C++ and possibly assembly as well.

yon2501 said:
i googled "cave story source code" and came up with this http://aaiiee.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/cave-story-source/ seems pixel dose give the source code to certain programmers but just dosent release it on the net and i doubt he'd give it to me since i have no programing experience yet. but like i said maybe after i learn a lil somethin from my game design classes this semester.
This is common knowledge, or at least I thought it was. Pixel will only give the source code to you after you build a demo to prove that you are willing to put the effort in to finish the port. Pixel doesn't want his source code distributed and has made this very much clear to everyone.

RuneLancer said:
That's a nice find. I no longer work on Cave Story but I'm sure the community would love to get their hands on a copy of the source, if you ever find a way to get ahold of it from Pixel.

Good luck; you're off to a pretty good start so far.
Personally I think that the community respects Pixel's desire to keep his game "closed source". Distributing his source code without his permission would be stealing. Pixel deserves better from his fans, right?

Every person who has ported cave story has respected Pixel's wishes and kept the source code to themselves.

Why everyone is so clueless about all of this is beyond me.

Aug 18, 2008 at 12:48 AM
The Bartender
andwhyisit said:
Personally I think that the community respects Pixel's desire to keep his game "closed source". Distributing his source code without his permission would be stealing. Pixel deserves better from his fans, right?
Easy there. I meant obtaining a copy for the CS hacking community, not obtaining a copy for a legitimate project and distributing it without Pixel's consent here. ;) Seeing as no mod involves any assembly, it's unlikely he would. Doesn't hurt to ask though...