Has anyone seen this before?

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:51 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ok I googled "Cave story maps," and this result came up.

p105597-0-cavest2b.png

It's obviously from CS beta, But i have never seen a screen shot like this at all.

So it looks like weapons don't level up, you collect coins that enemies drop (cion), you have three hearts of health, and weapons have limited ammo (that you buy from stores, according to the screenshots on the tribute site).
It also appears to be in a sand zone type area, where the beta song Meltdown 1 was most likely used.
The brown dots in the air are probably indication of air currents, and there seems to be a bug like enemy on the top rightish, and there are tiny sandcrocs jumping around.
Also a pretty awesome arrow sign.
Beta Quote seems to be using a machine gun type weapon, based on the shots (just like lvl 2 machine gun in CS), how many are on screen at the time, and the ridiculous amount of ammo he has.

Any thoughts?
-----------------
EDIT:
Found this image on this thread.
oridecondreams said:
p105597-1-sc020407.gif
The inspiring image! (Might make a black rocket launcher, now, too.)
Missile launcher is black, there are weird mini-balrog bat fusions, and some awesome fancy looking railways and bridges.
Also you may notice the special spikes used only in the waterway on the top leftish.
The door on the bottom right is one square high, instead of two, and beta Quote has six hearts instead of 3, so I guess you find heart containers instead of life capsules in this game (possibly buy them?).
YOu can see some interesting unused tilesets on the bottom left area, and also the original bkBlue is the background in this area, so I guess that was in the beta, too.
Discuss.
--------------
A third image not on the CS tribute site:
p105597-2-cavestorybeta.gif

Yay balrog, but he was simpler at the time. The enemy health bar was on top, and it seems (from these and the CS tribute site images) that beta quote changes color depending on the map he is in.
It usually corresponds to the color scheme of the map, so maybe it was programmed that way, or the mychar.pbm used the same color palette as the stage he was in.
Also, Quote only has two hearts here, but he seems to be missing both of them, so that may be what you look like when you die?
Balrog shoots bubbles here, like he did in the first grasstown fight, adding to the evidence that balrog is a bar of soap.
The door looks drastically different than the one in CS.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:52 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Yeah I've seen it before.

Not too much is known about the beta, besides what pixel will say in interviews.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Dammit I want to play beta! Someone make Pixel release it!

</three years old>

I've seen this and the other screen shots and it looks like the beta was a big inspiration for ToTB.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
sixtyseconds said:
I've seen this and the other screen shots and it looks like the beta was a big inspiration for ToTB.

Big inspiration doesn't begin to cut it. The reason the broxxus was made in the first place was to make a mod using those graphics. Most of the "new" graphics in the broxxus are from screenshots of the beta.

Although the later versions of the broxxus did use more original graphics, but then he left so it doesn't really matter.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:09 PM
I'm wondering about why he changed so many things from the beta to the version we all know.
Like he got rid of so many enemies that looked really cool, he took out the arrow signs, he made the new weapon interface, got rid of money, it seems to me as if he didn't like the beta very much at all.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:31 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I heard that one of the reasons that he took out the ammo system is because they played with the idea of having infinite ammo, and liked it much more than ammo conservation.

Also the beta was a much older engine with more glitches too, so it was scrapped and rebuilt from the bottom up. And that is our cave story.

Jul 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM
I think having limited ammo would present a greater challenge.
I would kill to play the CS beta, bugs and all.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:21 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Never saw those before. Also, I never knew it had money. That'll be awesome if he left money in. There would be better possiblities.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:33 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
/threadisdead.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:35 AM
derp.
I knew those were there, just not all of these.
OTL

Now this thread is a discussion and speculation about the beta of CS.
Also to show the differences.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:38 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Yeah I saw these screenshots after googling for a bit. It's strange how CS has changed...

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:41 AM
Lol, diffeances? cs beta = prolly sucks but is only CS material pixel ever made other than CS itself and as such fanboys/girls want is SOOOOOO much.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:58 AM
Pirate Member
immortalshippo said:
Lol, diffeances? cs beta = prolly sucks but is only CS material pixel ever made other than CS itself and as such fanboys/girls want is SOOOOOO much.

You've filled the whole "new posts" page :D

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:23 AM
immortalshippo said:

I don't think that's the case.
I think it just had too many bugs in it, as Pixel says.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:29 AM
'S what I meant by sucks, ye hear me, ye cursed bilge rat?

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:31 AM
Pirate Member
immortalshippo said:
ye cursed bilge rat?

Do not insult the rat race

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:41 AM
Whoops, i was having fun as a pirate and didn't notice. ever read the Underland Chronicles? /deeprespectforrats.