Grotto Fable v1.5.1 (Last updated 3/06/2019)

Should I keep updating this mod?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 22, 2017 at 7:43 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
Dec 22, 2017 at 1:31 PM
"Huzzah!"

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 2:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Good mod except if you fight balrog you're probably going to die because of your limited polar star ammo
Thats the problem I found when testing it
Yeah, I meant for Balrog to be a little bit hard the first time through, but now that I think about it, that might be a little bit tedious. Maybe I'll change the amount of Polar Star ammo you have, when I actually finish the mod.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
So I'm working on the next update. I'm not sure when it'll be finished but I think I might just finish through to the end of the game.

Also the name for the Missile Launcher is just like Cavern Tale's Super Missile's: Population Control. If, Enlight isn't a fan that I basically took the name I will happily change it. (Now that I think of it, I might anyway)

If you actually care about how the mod turns out, thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 3:07 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Another update on the development path:

The next update will be 1.0. AKA the "finished" game. What I mean by that is you can play through Hell, and Grotto Fable can finally be considered a finished mod. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm gonna just forget about it, though. I think I'll update it this summer or something with some post-game content, mostly to help make this mod a little more than "Cave Story but slightly different," but I'm fine with it being referred to that way. I completely intended for this to have some "polished" and different moments, but still feel like a lazy mod. Grotto Fable, to me, feels like a sort of tech-demo thing where I'm just messing around with modding tools to see what I can do with 'em.

Plus, I feel that one reason why a lot of dialogue is just freeware CS's dialogue unchanged is because I'm used to the Nicalis ports' dialogue and still feel like the original is "new" in a way. Anyway, enough rambling; here's a little sneak peek at the change log for 1.0!

1) Labyrinth, Egg Corridor?, Outer Wall, Plantation, Final/Last Cave, and Hell are playable.
2) More jokes
3) Fixed a typo in the OrgView
4) Some weird design choices with End-game areas
5) Changed the death dialogues a bit
6) Credits are actually different and not a re-hash of the original freeware credits
7) The HUD looks nicer (At least, I think it looks nicer)
I hope any active fans of Grotto Fable look forward to this update, Coming Soon to a Computer Near You!

wow this post was big. Hoo wee

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:08 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
(pls don't sue me for this double post) I think I'll post version 1.0 within two weeks... School keeps me from posting things often (Like I'm using my PS4's web browser to write this post because I rarely have access to a computer). Stay tuned for maybe more details eventually

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:59 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
(pls don't sue me for this double post) I think I'll post version 1.0 within two weeks... School keeps me from posting things often (Like I'm using my PS4's web browser to write this post because I rarely have access to a computer). Stay tuned for maybe more details eventually
Are you gonna update the thread? I got really confused because apparently the most "recent version" on the thread was 0.3.0.0 and was made in something like July (scrolling up to see the exact date is too hard >.>).

upload_2018-3-12_1-0-1.png

Editing the post is quite easy.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:53 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Version 0.3 was posted around Christmas... For the release of version 1.0 I'll probably just Deleet this thread and make a new one with the right date
Are you gonna update the thread? I got really confused because apparently the most "recent version" on the thread was 0.3.0.0 and was made in something like July (scrolling up to see the exact date is too hard >.>).

View attachment 4658

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:54 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I'm ready to "release" version 1.0 (I think)... What I want to do is Deleet this thread and make a new one for the complete mod. Can anyone help me find out whether or not out I can do that?

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:21 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I'm ready to "release" version 1.0 (I think)... What I want to do is Deleet this thread and make a new one for the complete mod. Can anyone help me find out whether or not out I can do that?
Why would it need a whole new thread? This one is fine right?

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:33 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It is fine to keep this thread, it's just that it confuses people, like what Ewan said earlier

View attachment 4658

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Ok but you can still edit the post...

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:48 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ok but you can still edit the post...
I do edit the post. I meant the time stamp for the post doesn't update and some people could get confused by that... So I'm just gonna specify when I edit posts. For example: the first post in this thread has been edited to have version 1.0's download link :)

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM
War criminal
Then just also make a new post here telling people there's a new version, while also updating the OP. We're not gonna judge you.

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:13 PM
Professional Whatever
that's what they just said serri :V

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:45 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Is it just me or does version 1.0 crash when "graphics_enhancement" under mod.txt is enabled?

EDIT: Not sure what happened, but after restarting it's working! When in doubt, restart.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:24 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I don't think it should crash.... Weird. I'll have to look into that and stuff probably.