Grasstown ALA NES

Jul 20, 2006 at 1:51 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow, Osmose. Beautiful. You have some great talent. However... I think you uploaded a wrong version, or it just ends oddly. I'm not complaining, your music is awesome.

Off-Topic Edit: How do you change your avatar? When I try to, something like 'Don't use an Avatar' is checked, and I can't uncheck it, and it seems there's nothing I can do.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:30 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I upped the quality and got rid of the longass fade about 20 minutes after I first posted this, so maybe that's it.

Oh, and you have to have like 20 posts to have an avatar.

Jul 20, 2006 at 4:03 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Not bad. Well, okay, that Cave Story one does kinda suck, but that's not the point. It's a WIP, anyway.

I think my favorite is Gravity, though a bit of variation on that drum loop wouldn't hurt.

Also, as long as we're on the subject of Cave Story arrangements: Last Battle

This is a MIDI, and was made using the MSGS synth (default on most Windows computers), so if you play it through anything else, it has a good chance of sounding like crap. The Quicktime browser plugin, for example, completely butchers it.

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:54 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I have a remix of the last battle on my computer that's absolutely awesome. I got ahold of it from the Dokutsu uploader site. It's quite awesome, if anyone knows which one I'm talking about. If not, I could upload it somewhere or attempt to track down the original link.

http://doukutsu.rdy.jp/stored/LastBattle.mp3

That's the one I think.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:40 PM
"..."
It's a nice remix, but it could've been a midi, considering it uses standard midi instruments in an mp3. O_o Better samples would've made it awesome.

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:39 PM
The Bartender
By all means, you're the expert. :p If you can make something like that with higher quality samples, you'd really rock. Not that your current work isn't awesome as it is.

I don't think CS gets enough attention from remixers. It has an awesome soundtrack, but apart from Overclocked Remix (whose remixes often stray too much from the original, unfortunately, despite being of such good quality) things are relatively silent on the CS remixing scene.

Not that I mind. Osmose's stuff is good enough to compensate for that. ;)

Jul 20, 2006 at 9:37 PM
"..."
It's only because of that silence that my work gets any notice. :p But yeah, it's mostly because of a lack of mixes that are relatively faithful to the originals that I took it upon myself to make anything.

But if we're talking about unsupported stuff, let's talk about OrgMaker. Such a fun little accessory with so little attention. ;)

Jul 21, 2006 at 12:56 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Snarwin said:
The Remix Project's version has nothing on this.

I disagree, some of the Remix Project's ones are really bad cuz u don't hear the molydia anymore, It's sounds on some musics like new music...
And the Last Battle one is a good one Remixed!

Jul 21, 2006 at 1:08 AM
The Bartender
"xyz has nothing on this" means it's nowhere near as good as (something else.) :p He's basically saying the remix version isn't as good as this one is.

I agree with you, however. The remix project is great, and definately enjoyable. But too many songs stray too much from the original melody and it loses its cave story feel. The fact they're all remixed with a different style makes it even less enjoyable as an overall project. Individually, and not taken in a CS context, they're great, though.

Jul 21, 2006 at 4:42 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I think the Cave Story(the song not the game =X) one could've been better if it would've had the part near the end of the song...where it changes and goes into a cool tune sorta.. the remix project didn't do it either and I was dissapointed cause that was always my favorite part.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:04 AM
"..."
It's not finished - at least the one I posted, becuase when I did the wierd part (not my favorite part) it didn't come out too well in my opinon, but if you really want it, here's a quick export before I go to sleep.

The Complete Cave Story Mp3

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:28 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hahah I didn't think it was bad at all.

Jul 21, 2006 at 4:30 PM
The Bartender
Chaddykins said:
I think the Cave Story(the song not the game =X) one could've been better if it would've had the part near the end of the song...where it changes and goes into a cool tune sorta..
I love that part. But it seemed to go a bit out of tune with the rest of the song and felt weird. Would've been interesting to see a remixer take a stance on how to perform that part and make something cool out of it.

Jul 21, 2006 at 4:58 PM
Hoxtilicious
Oh you don't mean the ending (I really don't like it!) you mean the solo before it? It sounds great! I always croon it with the music lol

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:26 PM
"..."
The solo's pretty good, but the following part never struck with me... ah well.

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:34 PM
Hoxtilicious
Yeah, I fully agree! lol My ears hurt first time I heared, It's the most bad part on all musics of Cave Story!

Jul 22, 2006 at 1:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
RuneLancer said:
The fact they're all remixed with a different style makes it even less enjoyable as an overall project. Individually, and not taken in a CS context, they're great, though.
Exactly. Listening to the remix project, I could hardly tell which remix was based on which original piece. They're perfectly good pieces, but they're not really Cave Story music.

Osmose said:
The Complete Cave Story Mp3
For some reason, I really dislike the sound you've used for this. It just sounds wrong to me.

You get bonus points for including the cool end part, though.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:15 AM
Hoxtilicious
Snarwin said:
Exactly. Listening to the remix project, I could hardly tell which remix was based on which original piece. They're perfectly good pieces, but they're not really Cave Story music.

I don't liked the one's who are not really Cave Story Music...