Grasstown ALA NES

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:37 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Cave Story MP3s

I make no claims to having any real skill. In fact, this is more or less a verbatim copy of the Grasstown .ORG, just with NES instruments instead of the originals. Oh, and a few of the less noticable echos left out. The volume fluctuates a bit, but I'm too tired to fix it, and it's still quite listenable, so meh.

Fun way to pass a few hours, and I thought you guys might enjoy a listen. :)

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/osmose/grasstownNES.mp3

Jun 30, 2006 at 7:03 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That's a really nice remix. I really like it, an in my opinion, I like it better than the remix in the project, which I liked more than the original... So, uh, good job. Are you planning to make any more?

Jun 30, 2006 at 8:51 AM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Feels a little too much like the original. You should look for high-quality samples (unless you were going for the whole retro feel, in which case this is awesome.) I believe there are a lot of good freeware ones out there. :eek:

Nice work either way. I'm not a composer so I don't feel like my opinion regarding this should be taken any seriously - if I can't do at least as good, then I don't feel it's my place to criticise negatively. So nice work man.

Jun 30, 2006 at 1:24 PM
"..."
RuneLancer said:
Feels a little too much like the original. You should look for high-quality samples (unless you were going for the whole retro feel, in which case this is awesome.) I believe there are a lot of good freeware ones out there. :eek:

Nice work either way. I'm not a composer so I don't feel like my opinion regarding this should be taken any seriously - if I can't do at least as good, then I don't feel it's my place to criticise negatively. So nice work man.

Yeah. It's like I said - it more or less IS the original, just with different sounds and a few small tweaks. In fact, I could export it to Midi, I believe, without losing anything, for those that want to mess with it themselves. Although I'm not actually sure if some of the effects would carry on.

I was going for the NES sound, though, yes. Although it bugs me that I don't have any samples of the more complex sounds they use to imitate two sounds on one channel. As it is, this uses 6 channels, which is two more than the original NES. If I tried really hard I could probably limit it to four (Mainly because the NES can change the type of sound it puts out at will, while I have to make an entirely new channel), but this isn't an NSF, and as such there really isn't any point. I DID try slapping some other instruments on it before posting it, but the guitar plugin I have doesn't allow you to change the volume and pitch on individual notes, and the technoey sounds didn't fit it as well as the NES ones.

In retrospect I should have at least added a reverb... *tests* Eh, it doesn't sound that much better with it, although for kicks I set the reverb to the "Cave" setting. :p

(Oh, and not being a musician doesn't bar you from criticism. I'm far from one either - I've never really composed anything too unique, I just like to muck around in FL Studio when I'm bored. :p)

Anywho, enough rambling. If You want, I could make more NES-ed music from the game, although I again don't guarentee that it will be too awesome. :p If you want to hear more just ask and I'll make.

And, lastly, don't hate on the remix guys. :p They worked hard on their music and it really shows. I personally like a majority of the music from it, although I do understand when people say they can't tell which song is being remixed.

Jul 3, 2006 at 6:16 PM
"..."
Well, I've been tweaking this MP3 a bit lately and it's about as good as I can get it without redoing it. I first actually made this a long time ago when I first played through Cave Story. Originally it was supposted to be all distortion guitars, but they didn't mesh as well as I had wished, so I attempted to throw some techno-ish sounds at it and then left it for dead.

Working on the Grasstown one made me pick it up again. I had already put in a premade beat, which I thought added a lot of action, but no amount of tweaking could really make it enjoyable for myself. It's as good as it's going to get, and I need criticism from people who actually know the original well. Really, I'm only putting this here because I'm tired of having it "In progress". Don't expect anything good. :p

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/osmose/gravity3.mp3

Jul 3, 2006 at 8:04 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
What's wrong with that one(Gravity3.mp3)? I think it's really good, and I don't find anything bad about it...

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:08 PM
The Bartender
I rather like the echo effects in this one. It's given a much slower beat at first than the original, but that works out VERY well. In fact I like this one more than your first one. It's great.

The one thing bothering me is the drumloop. It's highly repetitive and ends up a little irritating.

A suggestion - make it fade into a calmer "mood" halfway through (remove the drumloop and a few instruments, maybe change some instruments to something less "heavy" like piano and whatnot) and then back into something heavier.

Jul 4, 2006 at 12:30 PM
"..."
If it's really enjoyed that much (I guess I'm just always super-critical of my work), I guess I could try to break out samples from the beat (It's premade, hence why there's no variation) and make it a little more interesting.

The calmer mood idea I'll try, but I doubt anything will come of it, partially because it's supposed to be a fast paced boss battle song, and partially because I have no idea what different instruments I'd use and how I'd set it up. Gah. I blame ToS for frying my brain. :p

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
These are both pretty good, Osmose. What program did you use to create the Gravity track?

Jul 8, 2006 at 1:17 AM
"..."
FL Studio. I use a few soundfonts I've found around, and the Slayer plugin for guitars. In an ideal world, I would have a collection of high-quality samples, but I've yet to find anything more than a few samples in the same pack, and I'm not serious enough to look that hard. Although now that I'm mentioning it I probably will take the time to look for one.

I made the Grasstown one with FL Studio too, using an NES soundfont I've got.

Jul 14, 2006 at 7:17 AM
The Bartender
Got anything new in the works? I look forward to hearing some more of your stuff - it's quite good. :)

Jul 14, 2006 at 5:24 PM
"..."
I WAS working on the Cave Story theme, but the few people I let hear the WIP said the guitars in it sucked. I don't blame them - it's the plain old Slayer plugin for FL Studio, and when I first heard it, I thought it sucked too. Now, for me, it's tolerable, but it's so damn hard to get a nice, powerful guitar sample, especially distortion. All the samples I've found are mellow and soft. I'm actually considering just trying to hook a guitar up to my computer and having a friend (who's good at guitar and has like 4 or 5 of them) play the song out in hopes that my computer can record it's input.

But, if it'll make you happy, here's what I had when I showed it to the beta-testers:
http://atlas.walagata.com/w/osmose/cavestory1.mp3

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and Tales of Symphonia. Blame that. :)

Jul 14, 2006 at 8:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wow. You seriously think that's bad? And other people...? It's... Awesome...

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:12 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Omose your music is F***'IN awesome!!! XD XD XD
I WANT TO HEAR MORE!!! XD XD XD

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:22 PM
"..."
Fine, fine, I'll finish this one up as it is and then start something else.

All that's left anyway is the last part. The whole song repeats itself in the middle of itself (goes back to the part right after the intro), and there are some differences in the second time through, but they aren't noticable enough to warrant changing them.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:59 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
You can make opression too? (Fight the Core)

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:45 PM
"..."
Ew. Ew. Ew. You DO NOT want to hear the ending to this. It doesn't work AT ALL. Even without my modesty I know this last part is crap. And I can't figure out how to make it work right. Granted, I never really liked the wierd ending to Grasstown anyway, so...

I'll see what I can do with Opression. I dunno if I'll have time to get anything ocncrete today - I've been itching to play ToS since 12 and it's already 6.

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:33 AM
"..."
I like how Opression is coming. All the instruments are done (although there are a few parts I'd like to attept to tweak tomorrow, er, today [It's 2:30 in the morning! Yay!]) and I've got a general idea of how the drums are going to come out.

I feel kinda bad though - most of my work is just mp3-ified stuff. But eh, it's not like anyone else is doing anything like this on these boards - the remix project is a whole different league.

I don't know if I'll have time to touch this tomorrow, since I'm leaving my house around 2 and not coming home until Sunday afternoon, at which time I have to help start moving. I'm HOPING we'll have internet at the new apartment. Hoping.