Gero Blaster prototype leak

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:13 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So a bunch of prototype/unreleased iOS apps were discovered in an ArchiveTeam dump of the TestFlight developer service from 2015 and apparently it included some builds of the original Gero Blaster (or StarFrog as it was titled then), ranging from September 2012 to late January 2013. No one has posted any videos of them yet and apparently they will only work on really old iPhones.

May Pixel have mercy on our souls.

Dec 25, 2023 at 10:21 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Dang, nobody's replied to this guy yet? There's been a lot of updates since this first leaked.

For starters, here's some footage. And secondly, a branch of the touchHLE emulator has been made that allows us to play Gero Blaster/StarFrog on the PC. Get it here, but make sure to change the "preferred language" option in touchHLE_options.txt or whatever it's called to "ja", unless you manage to get your hands on that fan-made DeepL English translation .ipa file floating around the CSMC discord.

And the game itself? It's blatantly unfinished, obviously, but at it's best it's about as fun as the final Kero Blaster. You often have to backtrack through the levels after you beat them, but the first three stages are short enough where this isn't an issue. Stages 4-6 are where the backtracking gets truly irritating, with you having to trudge through long stretches of flat enemy spam multiple times in order to proceed. At least Stages 6 and 7 have a fairy at the end that just teleports you to the start.
...Wait, why didn't he just do this for all the levels?

But yeah, the Umbrella is fun to use, the Jetpack functions completely differently (you have to see it for yourself), and the weapons are still a lot of fun to blast enemies with. Though, i can see why the rocket weapons were scrapped, they're overpowered and yet not that satisfying to actually use. Several of the bosses are little more than frustrating damage sponges, but the few that aren't would've felt right at home in Kero Blaster, if perhaps a bit too simple in some instances.

Soooooo yeah, there's not all that much stopping us from experiencing Gero Blaster now. Which is still crazy to me.

Jan 5, 2024 at 5:26 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Crazy how I never heard about this until like yesterday considering how widespread the Angry Birds leak discussion was

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:59 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
>that last room
Out of all the ways the prototype could have cut off I didn't expect it to be a goddamn creepypasta

Feb 20, 2024 at 12:28 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Thanks for bringing this up btw, thought I missed my chance at finding it; but was able to test it out on PC~
Need to fully play through this and finally Kero Blaster again sometime... Though just seeing the various versions and how it evolved was interesting already.

(Now if only Cave Story Beta would magically show up x)

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:05 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for bringing this up btw, thought I missed my chance at finding it; but was able to test it out on PC~
Need to fully play through this and finally Kero Blaster again sometime... Though just seeing the various versions and how it evolved was interesting already.

(Now if only Cave Story Beta would magically show up x)
Like that's ever going to happen...

Picturing the gif from the Shrek opening when I say this