Games like Cave Story.

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
0_o;;;

umm...Sorry to the OP...

Didn't notice this was for PC only...Guess my love of that game got be a BIIIITTTTTT too much...

Uhh...PC games like cave story?

Why not "Bunny Must Die"? Makes symphony of the night look like a joke in the hard department. Nothing will tell you your going to have to be hardcore about a game like stripping your right movement till you collect a power that allows you to do so.

...Tell the truth why didn't anyone say this one ether!?!!?

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:24 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
DoubleThink said:
That part wasn't directed at you, rather it was just me musing in general, which is why I left that sizable gap after my first line. But whatever, I really have no idea why you think me or anybody else gives a shit about your opinion and whether or not you like something at this stage, so no, I didn't really bother to read your post. So what if it disgusts you? So what if it makes you angry? EVERYTHING makes you darned kids angry, there's no way to tell what matters and what doesn't. It's like saying that the oceans are blue. Though if you want a tip, why not start playing/watching/doing things to enjoy them rather than to complain about them? You will be shockingly surprised to find that having fun... is actually fun. IT'S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU.

Okay, good, don’t command me to shut up like a contradictory moron if you don’t really care then.

Atravir said:
How are underside enemies ripping of Metroid? Do they look similar? Maybe slightly, but how creative can you get on an 8-bit graphics engine? And where did you get "furfags"? There are animals in the game, yes, but there are also animals in Cave Story, along with half the games on the market. And as far as a shitty story goes, it's not Final Fantasy quality, but for a freeware game, it's pretty creative. I'd like to see you come up with better.

You know those little wall crawling enemies? Exactly like those wall-crawling Metroid enemies. You know that rhino enemy that charges you? Exactly like the rhino enemies from Metroid. You know that enemy that drops from the ceiling? And so on, and so on.

And yes, the Mimiga’s are indeed furfags, and yes, that did keep me from giving a damn when King and Toroko died. Hell, at least Booster and Curly were useful. And besides, I really shouldn’t need to come up with a better storyline to prove myself worthy of judging The Underside’s, I mean, come on, movie critics do it all the time.

lipucd said:
Why not "Bunny Must Die"? Makes symphony of the night look like a joke in the hard department. Nothing will tell you your going to have to be hardcore about a game like stripping your right movement till you collect a power that allows you to do so.

Bunny Must Die wasn't difficult as much as just tedious to figure out at first. Once you understand all the puzzles it's a total cake-walk. Also, the bosses are incredibly fun and should have been the main attraction, not the castle itself.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:26 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
i love bunny must die! i used to play it on my gmas computer because she had foreign language support lol.
fucking awesome game, and you play as a little bunny girl named chelsea! how many games can you say are like that?!

also i remembered/found again another great sidescroller for the pc: Satan Sam
this ones quite stylish and a lot of fun, but kinda difficult

also plz stop the arguing kthxbai

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:40 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Kageryushin said:
Okay, good, don’t command me to shut up like a contradictory moron if you don’t really care then.
That wasn't my point at all ;-;

And now some games I know little to nothing about:
Blaster Master, Ufouria, ActRaiser, Xardion, Mega Man [Insert Number Here], and dare I say it, BATTLETOADS.

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
DoubleThink said:
That wasn't my point at all ;-;

And now some games I know little to nothing about:
Blaster Master, Ufouria, ActRaiser, Xardion, Mega Man [Insert Number Here], and dare I say it, BATTLETOADS.

SOOO going off topic again but whatever:

Axtraiser is a great game...if you don't know anything about it, play it! Action/platforming meets SimCity style gameplay...How the heck does it work so well?!?!?!

Battletoads is more "BLARG BROKEN GAME!" then anything else IMO...I hate it due to player two ALWAYS unable to finish the game...

On topic:

Uhhh...Dang...Well I'm out of cave story look-a-likes for PC...Well I think I remember another one with cow girls...but I think it was a H-game...Saw it on a friends comp like a year ago...

Now that I think about it though...the action/platformer has for the most part been a home entertainment/arcade thing...PC doesn't get much ( if any ) love towards it....THEN AGAIN PC gamers had the greatness that was action/adventure...too bad there is like little to no reply value to them ( unless you try to find out every death/deadgame ).

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:58 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
There are megaman pc ports, i used to have Megaman X3,5, and 8 on my laptop
also every game is battletoads 0_0

also there are a lot of really great side scrollers on pc, thats why i started this thread, because its hard to find them but there are a lot of them.
recently meshof came out with cowboyana, and other indie and even commercial developers sometimes still develop side scrollers for the pc.
some of the best side scrolling game series (original duke nukem, the other old apogee run and gun games, which ill post about more later as many of them have been released for free, jazz jackrabbit, captain claw, a game i was planning on posting about in more detail soon, as the website i posted has a torrent with a full dvd download of the game with movies and everything intact along with hundreds of extras, Pandemonium, a great 2d/3d hybrid that runs natively in windows and is now abandonware, jetpack, etc. i could go on and on) the pc side scrolling action adventure game genre is a dying breed and i started this thread to raise awareness of new or old games that are like cave story that would hold the average CS fan's interests

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:41 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
wadeizzle said:
There are megaman pc ports, i used to have Megaman X3,5, and 8 on my laptop
also every game is battletoads 0_0

also there are a lot of really great side scrollers on pc, thats why i started this thread, because its hard to find them but there are a lot of them.
recently meshof came out with cowboyana, and other indie and even commercial developers sometimes still develop side scrollers for the pc.
some of the best side scrolling game series (original duke nukem, the other old apogee run and gun games, which ill post about more later as many of them have been released for free, jazz jackrabbit, captain claw, a game i was planning on posting about in more detail soon, as the website i posted has a torrent with a full dvd download of the game with movies and everything intact along with hundreds of extras, Pandemonium, a great 2d/3d hybrid that runs natively in windows and is now abandonware, jetpack, etc. i could go on and on) the pc side scrolling action adventure game genre is a dying breed and i started this thread to raise awareness of new or old games that are like cave story that would hold the average CS fan's interests
There are plenty of sidescrollers. Not many free-exploration 2d sidescrolling RPG platformers though. :o

The thing that is great about cave story is that there is nothing like it (to my knowledge at least).

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:49 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
wadeizzle said:
the other old apogee run and gun games, which ill post about more later as many of them have been released for free,
Released for free? Which ones?

Probably not Hocus Pocus, right...?

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Celtic Minstrel said:
Released for free? Which ones?

Probably not Hocus Pocus, right...?
Alien Carnage and Bio Menace are freeware along with some other titles (http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html), but most of the popular full apogee dos games can be bought for $10 each on the 3drealms site (http://www.3drealms.com/games.html).

There is no such thing as abandonware apogee games since they are still selling to this very day.

Though the shareware versions are available for free, but that was always the case.

Oh and Hocus Pocus is one of the titles that are still selling.

Jul 25, 2008 at 5:01 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Thought not. Hocus Pocus is not released.

If we're talking about ancient platformers like those ones... what about Captain Comic?

Jul 25, 2008 at 7:24 AM
i didnt mean to go to far back, i wanted all the games in the thread to be natively playable in XP, also i didnt realize that only a few apogee games had been released as freeware. @Celtic Minstrel, Captain Comic is on the interwebs somewhere as freeware, the wiki said so, i checked.
ok ok now im gonna talk about captain claw. It is a truly amazing game and you should get it right NAO if you haven't played it.
side scrolling adventure platformer with up to 64 player multiplayer and with fun boss fights and some amazing cinematics for its time. on the website in my first post they have a torrent for the game (it's abandonware) in dvd format that retains the original quality of the game (playable with cinematics), has the games movie files in .vob in superb quality, has tons of user levels, game art, documentation, update patch, walkthroughs, level editor, and so on. User levels are still being made to this day too! Here's the torrent from the site
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1317826
and heres a crappy realarcade rip of the game (no pretty cinematics)
http://www.kapitanpazur.piasta.pl/dl/claw_rip.zip
play this game when you get the chance, its more of a platformer than cave story but it has tons of secret routes and you go around collecting treasure and fighting other pirates, HOTU has a download of the game as well and a great review/synopsis of what the game's about
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=4994

Jul 25, 2008 at 9:37 AM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I know this will not be up to the standard of the games you guys mentioned, but Happy Runner is quite good for a job done in 150minutes.

And thanks for reminding me of Untitled Story. I stopped somewhere(probably just because I forgot about it) and I think it is nearly similar to Knytt(you learn actions and stuff one by one) except you can attack. But the bossfights are way easy..

Jul 25, 2008 at 1:39 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
JacobX891 said:
They are nothing alike, fuck you. Seriously, go fuck yourself.
Erf, there's enough random hostility floating around as it is, try to keep it down a bit ._.

STAYING VAGUELY ON-TOPIC: I do not know if there is a game called Random Hostility, but if there is it is probably very bad. On the other hand a game called Erf would probably be awesome.

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
OH SNAPS!

I forgot about "Noitu Love 2 - Devolution"! One of the few that use the mouse and keyboard for such a game...Its greatness in a can...Rather short though...Yet worth the price IMO...

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:50 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Jul 25, 2008 at 5:00 PM
lipucd said:
OH SNAPS!

I forgot about "Noitu Love 2 - Devolution"! One of the few that use the mouse and keyboard for such a game...Its greatness in a can...Rather short though...Yet worth the price IMO...
already posted about it, but yeah its a great game
also what the hell is up with all the flaming and arguing in this thread? jesus christ :(

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:40 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
The funny thing here is that out of all these games, Cave Story is obviously the best one. I don't know how Pixel did it, but he got it right.

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:00 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
wadeizzle said:
also what the hell is up with all the flaming and arguing in this thread? jesus christ :(
It's become a fad of late, just ignore it, it's mostly harmless.
Just like Earth >_>;

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:48 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
freezit4 said:
Btw I found I Wanna Be The Guy. You will kill the game two minutes after you start playing it.
I was thinking about mentioning that, but I wasn't sure if it really fit. Plus, as mentioned, it's really hard. I'm currently at the last save in the game, though. I think I've almost gotten to the end of the final boss a number of times, but I haven't quite beaten him yet.
Site: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/