Games like Cave Story.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:16 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
In this thread we talk about excellent games for the pc that are side scrolling action run and gun: adventure/shooters/rpgs (playable on xp). Some great ones ive found, some of these are free:
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project (I F*CKING LOVE THIS GAME, GREAT 2d shooter with amazing weapons and great boss fights and level design, its a 2d/3d hybrid)
Noitu Love 1 + 2
Captain Claw (This game rocks! and it's abandonware now too, you can get it and some great stuff to go with it from here: http://www.kapitanpazur.piasta.pl/en/downloads.html . check out the whole site, its great stuff)
This game isnt 2d but its a shooter/rpg hybrid thats free and indie : Survival Crisis Z
Abuse (great game, uses mouse and keyboard to move and shoot in a 2d plane)
La Mulana
Akuji The Demon
Some of the games by indie developer Ikiki

post more names so that way forum members who like cave story have some other games like it to check out too. i love cave story but i also love playing games like it, as im sure most people on here do! :confused:

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:27 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
You forgot Metal Slug.

Also, Gantz is shit. Art is good. Story is worthless.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:31 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
the anime does indeed suck ass, i love the manga, but it's funny you mention that because i was in the process of changing my avatar when you posted this to the movie poster from Versus

but metal slug isnt on pc without emu's this is a pc game thread

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:40 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
wadeizzle said:
the anime does indeed suck ass, i love the manga, but it's funny you mention that because i was in the process of changing my avatar when you posted this to the movie poster from Versus
but metal slug isnt on pc without emu's
this is a pc game thread

Manga still sucks. Anime was LOLGONZO. What were they, the people who ruined the Hellsing anime, going to do about a series that was terrible to begin with? The art is amazing, I'll admit, but the story is just so repulsive that I can't stand to read it.

In any case, every game ever made is for the PC. It's called emulation.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:44 AM
Gonzo fucking sucks, i hate them, i still love the manga, thats just my op, i understand that not everyone likes it, im a bigger fan of JJBA, but anime isnt exactly the topic (though i could talk about it forever, i love it and im glad to see so many fans on here).
i understand about emulation, i'm just saying these are made for pc games that are either free or indie or commercial that happen to be a lot like cave story, not emulated games. i agree though that metal slug is pretty freaking amazing, ive played them all. but please people suggest games! :D

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:13 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
First of all, obligatory DUDE YOU'RE ALIVE?!??!!? @ Wadeizzle, and secondly, meek attempt to prevent topic from going off topic .-.
Unfortunately I haven't played very many side-scrollers (at the moment I'm trying to burn through some PS1/SNES RPG's but I keep getting distracted :D ) buuuut I'll try and offer something:
Lyle In Cube Sector - Free-roaming side-scroller with an interesting concept, quirky as hell, and also pretty challenging as one must learn how to manipulate physics properly and quickly. Haven't finished it.
That's all I can think of atm that fits vaguely into 'run and gun' and that I have first person experience with but I'm kinda tired x_x

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:04 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
First of all, obligatory DUDE YOU'RE ALIVE?!??!!? @ Wadeizzle, and secondly, meek attempt to prevent topic from going off topic .-.
Sorry for the offtopicness you were trying to avoid but some forum members have been coming back of late. First Runelancer, then Kageryushin, Wadeizzle.. :D

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I think the forum assassins were retrenched.

Well anyway I'd reccomend Metal Slug X. It be epic. And also the rest of the Metal SLug series. :D One of the more epic game series I've even played. Though the story is kind cliche but the game play makes that flaw seem like just a speck of dust on an otherwise flawless slab of gold.

Ahah I sound drama. =O

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:45 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
HEY KAGERYUSHIN

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
There are three good games here, one of which is Flash. One's a puzzle game, but the other two are side-scrolling action games. Not quite like Cave Story, but still pretty good. (And fairly hard.)

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
jcys810 said:
HEY KAGERYUSHIN

One Avatar Sauce, coming right up!

diph.php

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wow, what a horrible 'shop.

Epic fail right there, Canneth.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:52 PM
have any of you guys played Duke Nukem Manhattan Project? YOU MUST PLAY IT! it even some of the same gamepad controls as cave story (switching weapons with shoulder buttons), and its a 2d game in 3d, and its DUKE FUCKING NUKEM, the whole game you hear great one liners XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
*LET'S ROCK* (and then the music starts) dun duun duun duun dun dun dun
ill post screenies if anyone wants to see it, im currently on the last level, the game was released in 02 and currently has its rights held by a bankruptcy court because the publisher went under. hopefully someday they release it as freeware.

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:43 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
WOW...how the HECK...I Mean WOW...

A topic like this...without the grand daddy of them all?

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

How was no one said this yet?....

RPG elements, a HUGE list of weapons in game, large list of powers, FREAKING UNLIMITED secrets abound ( game came out in 1997...people were STILL finding stuff up to 2007 ), insane boss battles, Also: best character for an action game period...the freaking son of Dracula...Alucard.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:27 PM
lipucd said:

RPG elements, a HUGE list of weapons in game, large list of powers, FREAKING UNLIMITED secrets abound ( game came out in 1997...people were STILL finding stuff up to 2007 ), insane boss battles, Also: best character for an action game period...the freaking son of Dracula...Alucard.
um, pc games, again pc games, read the first page, but symphony of the night ftfw

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:50 PM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
"1213" by Yahtzee. It's really dark, but otherwise not bad.

Is there an English patch for Akuji the Demon?

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
lipucd said:

Stuff that.

The entire Metroid Series! :D

Jul 24, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Guy with Sword
Jul 24, 2008 at 1:03 AM
Hoxtilicious
The fucking Overside. Umm I mean, Underside! The Underside!

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:04 AM
Guy with Sword
Didn't they steal the CS engine for that?

Here's one for you: Fez