Friday Night Funkin'

Were you already familiar with Friday Night Funkin' before seeing this thread?

• I had never heard of this game before seeing this thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 20, 2021 at 3:30 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So there's this thing we used to do a long time ago in this sub-forum that involved talking about other indie games that have caught our eye, and discussing these games within the Cave Story community. Since I've been feeling nostalgic for these forums lately, I thought I'd try to re-invigorate that trend just a bit by starting a thread about an up and coming indie game that's been gaining a lot of popularity within the last few months: Friday Night Funkin'
p375816-0-wv4814cxqce61.png

Well, to say that this game has been gaining a lot of popularity within the last few months would be an understatement. I haven't seen this much hype for an indie game since Undertale. This game isn't even finished yet, and already it seems to have about matched the Undertale hype train at its post-release peak. I'm sure a lot of people on these forums are already well aware of this game, but just out of curiosity, I put up a poll to gauge how many people in these forums already knew about this game.

Friday Night Funkin' is a rhythm-based game, similar in gameplay style to Dance Dance Revolution, which takes the blue-haired protagonist, boyfriend (yes, that's what we call the character) through a series of sing-offs with a series of different characters with the goal of winning over his love interest, girlfriend (yes, that's what she's called). The game progresses as a series of levels called "weeks" which marks the face-off with each opponent. As of the starting of this thread, the first 7 weeks have been created, with plans on adding many more.

The Kickstarter page can be seen here:

What's really cool is that not only do they have a pretty polished demo for us to play (for free), but the amount of content that gets created for the final product depends on how much money fans are willing to donate to support this project. This game is primarily made by some people who met on Newgrounds, and it really shows through the expressive art style and cameos from iconic Newgrounds characters. It's pretty amazing to see this much hype around a game with so much creative passion, and to see how much money this has raised. As of the posting of this thread, it's raised $2,247,641.

What's also amazing to see is how active the modding community is for this game. They purposefully made it easy to mod this game, which has resulted in all kinds of cool creations.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 4:16 AM
War criminal
The involvement within the community is absolutely crazy. Tom Fulp even made a modded version of Pico's School on April Fool's Day earlier this year to confirm the fan idea that Pico and BF used to date. 11/10 move.

Jun 20, 2021 at 4:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
From what I've seen, FNF's a pretty basic rhythm game that gets praised for its art and music rather than gameplay. That's not a bad thing, but it's probably why I'm not into it.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:00 AM
Based Member
The involvement within the community is absolutely crazy. Tom Fulp even made a modded version of Pico's School on April Fool's Day earlier this year to confirm the fan idea that Pico and BF used to date. 11/10 move.
Is that officially cannon though? My understanding is that there's a strong fandom sentiment of that, which the creators have entertained, but I'm not sure it's official cannon. Granted, many aspects of the actual story of the game are still a bit unclear, since most of it is kinda just pieced together from Reddit and Twitter posts that the official creators have made, sometimes sarcastically. My impression is that some of the story details can't really be confirmed until they're fleshed out in the game itself.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:13 AM
War criminal
Here's hoping it gets referenced in the full ass game. I know the whole story behind each week is planned to actually be fleshed out in game, lore probably isn't too far off from being touched upon either.

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:14 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Is that officially cannon though? My understanding is that there's a strong fandom sentiment of that, which the creators have entertained, but I'm not sure it's official cannon. Granted, many aspects of the actual story of the game are still a bit unclear, since most of it is kinda just pieced together from Reddit and Twitter posts that the official creators have made, sometimes sarcastically. My impression is that some of the story details can't really be confirmed until they're fleshed out in the game itself.
The modded game was basically just an April Fool's joke, and the description of it says it's an alternate timeline:

1624162369100.png
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/787272

Jun 20, 2021 at 5:24 PM
Based Member
The modded game was basically just an April Fool's joke, and the description of it says it's an alternate timeline:

View attachment 7880
https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/787272
Interesting, so it's sort of possibly cannon. I'm interested to see how the full ass game handles this.

Out of curiosity, how did people hear about this game? I found out about this game through an April Fools video someone posted that pretended there was a new Gaster Easter Egg in the recently released Xbox port of Undertale that involved a sing-off between Frisk and Gaster:

I saw this video within a couple weeks after it was posted, and thought it was a pretty funny April fool's joke. My first instinct was that it was referencing Dance Dance Revolution, but then after looking at the comments section, I realized it was referencing a much newer game called Friday Night Funkin', and so I looked up FNF on Youtube, and very quickly fell in love with the expressive art style, and gained an appreciation for the music not long after.

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:39 PM
War criminal
Man, a rhythm based boss sounds like an amazing idea that I can see Toby doing for Deltarune.

As for when i first heard of FNF, it was through Siivagunner, when they started making rips of the game back in December. Took me a while until actually wanting to play the game tho.

Jun 23, 2021 at 7:42 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hmm... I wasn't too impressed with the newgrounds demo when I played it, but indeed... mods make everything better :O fans can breathe so much life into a concept.

I just thought it seemed really barebones. Didn't look so interesting compared to other rhythm games I enjoyed in the past, like Project Diva games:
Though I played it with the keyboard, in a windowed browser, and kind of sucked as it got harder. Didn't really feel a desire to try to get better. Seemed limited as to what to expect besides the custom songs themselves. (btw that song used in the kickstarter trailer sounds real nice.)

...Though there would be one way I'd probably get a lot of enjoyment out of it...

Out of curiosity, how did people hear about this game?

...if I took a DDR route with it and used a dance pad. Like I saw the very first time I watched a FNF related video; a mod; and thus got interested in checking out the official demo. (Yes, that particular video above. The live stream reactions to the mod were fun too.)

Well, until I get a pad or something, I think I'll stick with Beat Saber or if I get nostalgic, Miku!
Side note... got a game not too long ago called Everhood... Been saving it for a rainy day, but might I might suggest checking it out, if you like these games and Undertale? Based on the reviews.

EDIT: Oh...? I just saw this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4n1smmZ4w
Beatsaber FNF? Okay, maybe I do have to check this out lol

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:14 AM
Based Member
That's cool, I'm not surprised someone has made some rig with a dance floor to make it like Dance Dance Revolution. That's even cooler that someone made a version of the game with a Beat Saber, I would not have expected that. The attention to detail was astounding.

I also really liked the Undertale variant that starts at 2:00 in the video of this FNF mod:

There's also a big sect of the Newgrounds community that has been obsessed with crossing over characters from the Madness series (which is probably the most iconic Newgrounds series after Pico and Tankman):

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:59 AM
War criminal
With the Tricky mod going all out in the update, it makes you wonder what the FNF devs will do to make it stand out as much, especially considering Hank will be in the official game.

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM
Based Member
Oh, I didn't know it was confirmed that Hank was going to be in the official game (but I'm not surprised). That does then make me wonder what kind of impact this mod will have on the game. I'm sure the modding community as a whole has already had some level of impact on the what the FNF team will be doing in the official game.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:37 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Out of curiosity, how did people hear about this game?

I heard about it on newgrounds. It was unavoidable when it was first released in November last year. It was frontpaged on the games section and at the top right next to the site news. The wall art and color scheme of the site also changed to match the game.

This screenshot was from the site only 13 days after it was submitted to the portal.

1624779306114.png
https://web.archive.org/web/20201114131555/https://www.newgrounds.com/

Jun 27, 2021 at 5:27 PM
Based Member