Freeware + 3D Remake levels Mod idea!

Dec 17, 2021 at 6:40 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have some ideas for a lil mod for the freeware version of Cave Story ...
So what if, the freeware version........... but it includes the extended areas from the 3D remake!!

So for an example, the Egg Corridor, the Labyrinth and many others have extended levels in the 3D remake that I think it would be interesting to see in the Freeware version of the game!!!
As well as the Inner Wall you can enter from the Rest Area of the Planation

With that said you could also be able to obtain and equip the Prinny cap!! I think it would be really cool
also can we please have a freeware mod where quote is able to stack 5 dogs pls

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:34 PM
scrungy
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Might be a fun idea. I tried re-creating the Inner Wall a while back, only to realize near the end that it was taken from the first room of the Nemesis Challenge.

Dec 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Might be a fun idea. I tried re-creating the Inner Wall a while back, only to realize near the end that it was taken from the first room of the Nemesis Challenge.
That's true, but I think the Nemesis Challenge is only a section of the 3D remake. I think it's the end?

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:14 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That sounds like a pretty realistic idea for a mod, probably wouldn't be too hard to make. I think Booster's Lab's "add map" feature works fine. But if you do end up using Cave Editor instead, I'd suggest using the "copy map" feature instead of the "add map" button, as that was never very stable.

Once you've made some tangible content and are ready to show it, feel free to start a thread in the showcase forum.

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:15 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That sounds like a pretty realistic idea for a mod, probably wouldn't be too hard to make. I think Booster's Lab's "add map" feature works fine. But if you do end up using Cave Editor instead, I'd suggest using the "copy map" feature instead of the "add map" button, as that was never very stable.

Once you've made some tangible content and are ready to show it, feel free to start a thread in the showcase forum.
I'll consider it!! Definitely! Thank you for the advice, I think I'll get on to it if I get bored on a Saturday x_x

Dec 25, 2021 at 9:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Oh hey, I was actually thinking of making a mod including 3D's bonus content (or well, moreso recreating the 3D's environment aesthetic and extra life capsules, but the extra content was part of the plan), in fact I had started several attempts at that kind of thing over the years but none were public due to legal concerns about nicalis cs stuff in mod releases even if they are recreations instead of direct map data rips lol

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:49 AM
Based Member
I had started several attempts at that kind of thing over the years but none were public due to legal concerns about nicalis cs stuff in mod releases even if they are recreations instead of direct map data rips lol
That's an interesting thought. My assumption is that it wouldn't be a big deal, since you'd still just be using assets from the original Cave Story. Raising legal concerns over copied map layouts, especially on the rather miniscule level for this type of project, would honestly be petty. As far as I'm aware, the main legal concerns are distributing the 2x resolution sprite sheets and sound files for the new/remastered soundtracks, neither of which would be done in this type of project.

If we were to disallow superficial recreations of things like that, then a lot of mods would need to be taken down. For example, GIR wouldn't have been allowed to publish any version of WTF? Story that includes that roller coaster minigame due to the fact that its gameplay behavior mimics the behavior of some of those mine cart levels from those Donkey Kong games.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022 at 11:46 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is actually very feasible without even needing to recreate them since, funnily enough, CS3D actually has 2D stage data (which is strange considering that even in classic mode, it only used Character sprites on top of those butchered up 3D environments) that are fully compatible with the freeware version with little to no change needed, you practically just need to create .tsc files and copy the content from the sjs files (since afaik freeware tsc files are encrypted while cs3d sjs aren't so just changing the file extension won't work)
2022-05-27_23-43.png

I also added the prinny cap for the lulz by tinkering around doukutsu-rs' source code (I don't know if adding character skins is doable via Booser's lab/cave editor the way other mods have done it like in Jenka's Nightmare).

May 28, 2022 at 1:23 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
That sounds like a really swell idea!

May 28, 2022 at 2:07 AM
War criminal
This is actually very feasible without even needing to recreate them since, funnily enough, CS3D actually has 2D stage data (which is strange considering that even in classic mode, it only used Character sprites on top of those butchered up 3D environments) that are fully compatible with the freeware version with little to no change needed, you practically just need to create .tsc files and copy the content from the sjs files (since afaik freeware tsc files are encrypted while cs3d sjs aren't so just changing the file extension won't work)
View attachment 8546

I also added the prinny cap for the lulz by tinkering around doukutsu-rs' source code (I don't know if adding character skins is doable via Booser's lab/cave editor the way other mods have done it like in Jenka's Nightmare).
May I introduce you to this? As well as <VAR0006:YYYY
p377654-0-hjvm93.png

Booster's Lab is more than capable enough to put either hack in your vanilla mod. I know there's a version made for CSE2, I have zero idea about d-rs, however.

May 28, 2022 at 8:41 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
May I introduce you to this? As well as <VAR0006:YYYY
p377654-0-hjvm93.png

Booster's Lab is more than capable enough to put either hack in your vanilla mod. I know there's a version made for CSE2, I have zero idea about d-rs, however.
Interesting, thanks for letting me know!

May 30, 2022 at 3:26 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Nice. I would love to see that remake.