FortressCraft

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:57 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Well, I don't believe anybody has mentioned Total Miner: Forge. It's another Indie game with MineCraft graphics and crafting. So in conclusion, another MineCraft ripoff...

Jun 27, 2011 at 1:54 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
RipoffCraft

To be fair, you could say Minecraft is a ripoff too.
From the very beginning, Notch got his inspiration from Infiniminer, but started working on Minecraft weeks after the developers of Infiniminer quit their project.
He's also listed other games as giving him ideas all the time, like Dungeon Keeper {:heart:}.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:41 PM
Been here way too long...
Re: RipoffCraft

Why does a fucking game that rips off of Metroid and takes a concept from Castlevania even have an entire fan site?
What the fuck is wrong with you stupid assholes?

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:50 PM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"

VoidMage_Lowell said:
From the very beginning, Notch got his inspiration from Infiniminer, but started working on Minecraft weeks after the developers of Infiniminer quit their project.
He's also listed other games as giving him ideas all the time, like Dungeon Keeper {:heart:}.

If you've ever actually seen Infiniminer, it was actually an extremely different game than what Minecraft came to be. Infiniminer was a competitive game, where two different teams had to race to mine a quota of materials. It also had a class selection if I recall. The only thing you could argue is a "clone" is MC's creative/classic mode, which Infiniminer also had. also the base block concept, but doing that would be like calling Call of Duty a Doom clone.

FortressCraft (once it's released, not counting the current freebuild mode) is similar enough to be considered a clone in my opinion. The graphics style is identical and the objectives and gameplay are the same thing. But at least they're trying to make things different and acknowlege the inspiration from MC, the developer isn't afraid to say he was inspired by MC and wants to make his game what he always wanted MC to be.
And I respect that.

However, Total Miner: Forge is another story. It's an absolute shameless ripoff, in both graphics and gameplay. They also strictly avoid mentioning Minecraft's existence, it makes me sick.

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
TearoffCraft

Yakkers said:
If you've ever actually seen Infiniminer, it was actually an extremely different game than what Minecraft came to be. Infiniminer was a competitive game, where two different teams had to race to mine a quota of materials. It also had a class selection if I recall. The only thing you could argue is a "clone" is MC's creative/classic mode, which Infiniminer also had. also the base block concept, but doing that would be like calling Call of Duty a Doom clone.

FortressCraft (once it's released, not counting the current freebuild mode) is similar enough to be considered a clone in my opinion. The graphics style is identical and the objectives and gameplay are the same thing. But at least they're trying to make things different and acknowlege the inspiration from MC, the developer isn't afraid to say he was inspired by MC and wants to make his game what he always wanted MC to be.
And I respect that.

However, Total Miner: Forge is another story. It's an absolute shameless ripoff, in both graphics and gameplay. They also strictly avoid mentioning Minecraft's existence, it makes me sick.
Hence why I said 'technically', I wasn't being serious, I was trying to prove a point that nothing is ever original.
And it wasn't just 'similar', Notch said he got Minecraft's idea from Infiniminer, and started building something similar. {Which became so much different because, unlike Infinminer, he listened to the fans and made Minecraft's sole focus building. Fans of Ininiminer already used the game just for building, that's why the original dev's quit, no one really enjoyed the competition mode}
Clone, similar, whatever you wish you choose, they all are technically copies of each other.

And when I say 'Technically', whatever I'm applying it to is not to be taken fully literal, just to clear that up.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:08 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: TearoffCraft

Only a fool would think minecraft is an original concept. Digging/building games have been alive for centuries. One of them being lego.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:15 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
MineCraft

WoodenRat said:
Only a fool would think minecraft is an original concept. Digging/building games have been alive for centuries. One of them being lego.
Now you're being overly general.
Minecraft was just basically a revival of Infiniminer's Creative mode that expanded into what it is today.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:48 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

VoidMage_Lowell said:

Oh, well that's interesting. But really Minecraft is the origin of these type of games, Infiniminer has a different concept it looks like.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:57 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
How many times will I repeat this...

Tpcool said:
Oh, well that's interesting. But really Minecraft is the origin of these type of games, Infiniminer has a different concept it looks like.
It does, that's what we were just talking about, Infiniminer was originally simply about competitive mining, but the players decided to just build things with it, so much that the developers eventually just quit.
Minecraft picks up where it sorta left off, what the fans really wanted.
Not saying it's a complete clone or anything, but it did pretty much copy what people really used Infiniminer for, even if it wasn't made for that.
But yes, it was pretty much the first to expand/get popular fast enough to end up claiming most of the title.
Just started sorta like the rest of these games, except the game they're copying didn't die/give up on the angle.