First time playing Cave Story... Deja Vu?

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So, I downloaded and played Cave Story the other day, after a friend's recommendation.
GREAT GAME, I feel like I could play it over so many times, if not for how challenging the ending levels are to me. lol

But anyway, Ever since the first time I saw a Mimiga, and then on through several other characters in the game... I keep getting this INTENSE Deja Vu feeling... almost to the point were I KNOW I've seen these characters before, in something else. And I'm almost certain I haven't seen/played this game before in the past, until very recently when I downloaded it.

Mainly I remember the Mimiga, so I was wondering if anyone had ever seen this style of character in something else before? I almost have the feeling like I've seen a cartoon/anime with characters just like these in it.
This feeling is driving me insane! XD I just KNOW I've known all the characters in the past.

And it's not just the Mimiga characters I think I've seen before... I also have that familiar sense with Balrog as well, and Quote, Curly and possibly a few others...
But for now I'll focus on the Mimiga, because my brain might just be playing tricks on me or something... (still balrog has been seen before... lol)

So anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Or does anyone know what I might be thinking of?
I could almost swear I've seen the Mimiga in something else like a cartoon... Maybe they weren't called Mimiga, but they must have looked similar or something... similar character design/art... Sue, and King, and that mimiga with glasses... so familiar...

The art style is so spot on though...

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:43 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I've never felt Deja Vu while playing Cave Story and I think I've never seen those characters before...
Maybe you've seen some manga on internet years ago or you have maybe dreamed of characters those look like Mimigas and others?
But that's my guess...

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sharkenaa said:
I've never felt Deja Vu while playing Cave Story and I think I've never seen those characters before...
Maybe you've seen some manga on internet years ago or you have maybe dreamed of characters those look like Mimigas and others?
But that's my guess...
Does a manga really exist? maybe that's what I saw... lol
It's possible that I saw a manga, but it would have had to been drawn in a very similar style to the game. =/

I wouldn't put it past my mind to have had dreams like that, and then altered my memory of them once I played the game... but still, I think this is a more real feeling. XD

Is the design of the Mimiga, specific to one the game? or is it a more common creature japanese stuff? lol (maybe not by the same name, but similar in appearance... =/

How many years back was this game out there?

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
NikoKun said:
Does a manga really exist? maybe that's what I saw... lol
It's possible that I saw a manga, but it would have had to been drawn in a very similar style to the game. =/

I wouldn't put it past my mind to have had dreams like that, and then altered my memory of them once I played the game... but still, I think this is a more real feeling. XD

Is the design of the Mimiga, specific to one the game? or is it a more common creature japanese stuff? lol (maybe not by the same name, but similar in appearance... =/

How many years back was this game out there?

Mimiga are quite original. Also, the game was released back in 2004.

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tadashi said:
Mimiga are quite original. Also, the game was released back in 2004.
Yeah, I would assume so... it's just, the first time I saw them, I really thought I'd seen them used elsewhere...

Course, I was in Japan around the time when the game was first out, and I frequently went to ACEN in Chicago around that time too... so maybe I just happen to see something about Cave Story back then... and just didn't realize it... lol hmmmm Never know... I might have seen it on some rare occasion, and just never thought much of it...
Or maybe I just happened to see a bootlegged Cave Story wallscroll at one of those JP-gift stores out here, with one of the ending art scenes or something... (boy if I did happen to see one, I wish I would have bought it now... XD)

I think this story, and the mimiga, would make an excellent cartoon/anime.
Or at least manga...

Aug 24, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
NikoKun said:
I think this story, and the mimiga, would make an excellent cartoon/anime.
Atravir is working on that right now, go to the thread titled "Movie Script", he is going to try to get a Cave Story anime movie professionally made.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:23 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andwhyisit said:
Atravir is working on that right now, go to the thread titled "Movie Script", he is going to try to get a Cave Story anime movie professionally made.
oh NICE... i'll check it out! thnx

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:01 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Hmm... I can think of a few instances that come to mind with rabbits...

Does this look familiar?
diph.php

It's from "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening". Just a thought.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:28 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
they look like regular rabbits :)

Aug 25, 2007 at 8:21 AM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Whoa hey, you're a dood who left a comment on my cave story trailer on youtube.

On topic: Nope, never had deja vu playing this game :X

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:30 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
xristosx said:
they look like regular rabbits :p
maybe... but I still think the design is pretty unique... I mean the way the ears hang and such. lol

Still I know I've seen them somewhere before... but who knows...=/
I was mainly just wondering if anyone knew. guess i'm the only one who feels that way. xD

I really swear I remember seeing some animated cartoon, with spot on Mimiga characters in it... Almost from like a Sonic cartoon (cept not) XD oh well

Aug 26, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
NikoKun said:
maybe... but I still think the design is pretty unique... I mean the way the ears hang and such. lol

Still I know I've seen them somewhere before... but who knows...=/
I was mainly just wondering if anyone knew. guess i'm the only one who feels that way. xD

I really swear I remember seeing some animated cartoon, with spot on Mimiga characters in it... Almost from like a Sonic cartoon (cept not) XD oh well

probably some thing in japanese stuff

like the idea in dragon ball z with the super power thing or person that has yellow spiked hair
goku - super sayjin
sonic the hedgehog - super sonic
and i dont know others

but maybe its just some old folk tale with them and you saw it in some random cartoon

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:20 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I had that that feeling that there was something familiar about the Mimiga's, but it didn't last long, if I saw whatever I mistook the Mimiga for I would now think "Oh, that looks like a mimiga!" and not the other way round.

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
andwhyisit said:
I had that that feeling that there was something familiar about the Mimiga's, but it didn't last long, if I saw whatever I mistook the Mimiga for I would now think "Oh, that looks like a mimiga!" and not the other way round.
lol, true.

This game has earned instant Legend status in my mind. I'm so glad I found out about this.

Still would be nice someday, to see either a continuation of the story/sequel, or a OVA/anime movie over the original game storyline. That would be freaking heaven if done right!

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:11 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
well at least the movies being made :D
you can join discussion about it there if you want :D

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:23 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Aug 28, 2007 at 1:42 AM
Guy with Sword
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
And it has like 355 posts. :D

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:47 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
:D YEAH :D

that king sig is annoying to me somereason

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:59 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Atravir said:
And it has like 355 posts. :D
Maybe the thread title should be changed from "Movie Script" to "Cave Story: THE MOVIE" and edit the first post so that people know what's going on since most don't read far enough to know that it is going to be an actual movie and not just a script.