Favorite CS Thing

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:43 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
What is your favorite part of Cave Story?

Storyline? Gameplay? Music?

I'll start: I think the storyline. It's like playing a (good) book!

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:28 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
I'd have to agree and say the story here. It's just ambiguous enough for my imagination to take hold of, yet well enough defined not to come out completely developmentally delayed on the other side. And it's a work of art in it's entirety.

Close second is the music though.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
I can't pick.

Favorite thing?
How about the whole darn game :(
I really can't decide on which part would be my favorite, because the entire thing's made of awesome. {Except Quote, who's made of Explodium}

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:37 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: I can't pick.

Sue.

No. I'm kidding.

My favorite thing would have to be:
The whole scene at the Sand Zone storehouse. Before this point, the whole game comes along as being so innocent, you hear of this "doctor" and see nothing of him other than the comical Balrog and Misery. At this point, you actually get to see him and the horrible things he does. I was also surprised at King's appearance. Through the beginning of the game he appears to be almost a bad guy, but then you see his true intentions, that he's only strict for the good of everyone. Then how you actually have to kill toroko yourself was an awesome twist. After the whole scene I felt like the whole game just got raped and the mood completely changed, but in a good way. Pixel truly is masterful.
[/RANT]

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:45 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Yakkers said:
The whole scene at the Sand Zone storehouse. Before this point, the whole game comes along as being so innocent, you hear of this "doctor" and see nothing of him other than the comical Balrog and Misery. At this point, you actually get to see him and the horrible things he does. I was also surprised at King's appearance. Through the beginning of the game he appears to be almost a bad guy, but then you see his true intentions, that he's only strict for the good of everyone. Then how you actually have to kill toroko yourself was an awesome twist. After the whole scene I felt like the whole game just got raped and the mood completely changed, but in a good way. Pixel truly is masterful.
[/RANT]

Oh yeah the whole game's mood plunges downhill straight from there. Especially if you don't save Curly or the island. If you don't the whole story becomes sorta emo-ish, which is what happens when you don't quite save the world I guess.

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:49 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

I would have to say hands-down, music. There's only like, what, a grand total of one song I didn't like (Break Down for the curious: too sad in conjunction with being an ear worm). Grammar in that sentence was probably mangled, but Oppression! Also Quote. Quote is hotness.

Semi-off-topic perhaps, I agree with GIRaka. So much so, I can only consider the best ending the real ending, and it throws me sometimes to see fanfiction based on those depressing endings. (Not that it makes them automatically not good.) I dun like sad things.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:28 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Alright, cool everyone!

I posted this for the mod I'm working on, because I wanted to know what to focus on enhancing and creating. It seems Storyline and Music win above all else.

And I completely agree with this, so it all works out in the end!

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:11 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I dunno what's my favorite...everything was done very well haha..

The story was very well done though, the little details helped get the story and emotions across well and really drew me in.

Like when you have to kill Toroko...when you win there's not the normal victory music, just silence...

It was really suprising to see the game I thought was going to be a typical "only happy things happen with crazy twists to make sure nothing bad happens" story turn into something that was genuinely depressing to see unfold.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:43 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
That's a tough choice.

But I have to go with story.

I mean the music is great and the gameplay great as well but I just got so wrapped up in the story.

It's a great story-line and I always hear myself say that if it was made during the era of Super Mario Bros. and Megaman it would have been a major competitor to them.

Just think, Quote could be as famous as Mario.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Epic final boss music is for the win!!!

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:56 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
"is for the win" really? :rolleyes:

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
My favourite thing is that that I can not pick a favourite thing. In other words I like that the game is perfect throghout. But if I must pick something as favourite then it is the game`s atmosphere.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:07 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Lament on memories...

Hmm, I think I'll make up my mind, now...
My favorite thing out of all of Cave Story is the feeling you get when you first play it.
It's that unknowning feeling of playing a brand new game, without knowing what's going to happen.
You're along for the ride with this unknown robot trying to figure out who he is and what's going on as you go through the bowels of this enchanting island...
It just latches you onto the story and music and the whole game so much more.
Impossible to really explain, but I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about from experience.
It's just too bad it's a one time deal.... {My least favorite part of RPGs, the aftermath}

The music, though, always brings me back....

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:07 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Or when you play without the English translation.

Nov 23, 2009 at 9:54 PM
"Huzzah!"
Favorite thing in CS?

the characters. Quote and Curly mainly

Back