Ethical discourse on killing Ma Pignon

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:46 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Probably somewhere nox XD

Well the game doesn't state what year the games set in so back down on the surface it could be really advanced like Robots are emulating human emotions and eating. i mean Curly and Quote both need air to work.
You may say the island does look all that advanced though, But there's teleporters and I'd say that's pretty advanced.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JetHawk95 said:
. i mean Curly and Quote both need air to work.

It might just be that if they are submerged for too long, the water that seeps into them can't escape properly, causing permanent (fatal?) damage. Most robots don't like water normally.

Alternatively they could be powered by an internal combustion engine of sorts, which would require air/oxygen.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:35 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It might just be that if they are submerged for too long, the water that seeps into them can't escape properly, causing permanent (fatal?) damage. Most robots don't like water normally.

Alternatively they could be powered by an internal combustion engine of sorts, which would require air/oxygen.

I was thinking just the same thing, except you explained it much better. It seems that Quote and Curly are more humanoid then everybody thinks. Just think about it... air, and damage from simply touching creatures (many robots can probably take much more damage then *55 health*).

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Lol I leave for 2 weeks and stuff like this happens

Also I decided to try Cave Story DS on normal mode again and I just can't kill this dude :pignon2: No trouble up to this point (killed the core first try) But I can't kill Ma Pignon.

So there?

Apr 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Well they killed a mushroom without asking. To tell the truth we don`t really ask Porky either...

Or when at Medical Faculty we were dissecting frogs alive for an experiment. One girl asked the frog "Do you give permission?"
And the frog gave permission... :)

Calm down lol:
(The experiment was approved by the medical ethical commitee - so it was legally accepted by international ethics law) :p

Apr 20, 2011 at 4:42 PM
Been here way too long...
trickybilly said:
Calm down lol:[/B] (The experiment was approved by the medical ethical commitee - so it was legally accepted by international ethics law) :)

Pft, we murdered a sentient mushroom in cold blood, do you think we care about some frogs?
Also, ethics are subjective, so having some committee approve it doesn't make it universally right. But really. Frogs? Does anyone care about frogs?

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Plus it's in the name of science!

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
:)

This certainly belongs here.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:33 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I say screw the mushroom's feelings, I'm gonna save Curly.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
The-Cleaners said:
I say screw the mushroom's feelings, I'm gonna save Curly.

:pignon:
Yeah, I think we should save Curly rather than care about a mushrooms feelings.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM
Starbound sucked sadly
GIRakaCHEEZER said:

Quote from ingame in the waterway shelter notebook you find
Surface- Developed robots have limitations on their operation underwater. If they are submerged for to long a period, their system automatically shuts down to avoid short-circuiting.

Just thought that would help, came across it as i was playing it now

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:32 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
why did quote kill :( for curly he could of ate :pignon: himself so he'd remember who HE is!
anyways i would like to mention that ma pignon did trick quote into getting a mushroom badge so quote said "ima eat you anomnomnomnom!!!" so :chin::mahin: ma pignon did ask for it!

and quote is a robot so he would kill anything in his site if he was programed to! he would kill :pignon2: :hoppy: :awesomeface: :muscledoc: :pignon: even :debug:

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:27 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
see THIS is why I didn't want that many smilies guys

Anyway Quote is supposed to be sort of empathetic to things, or so we're told, so why does he kill all sorts of creatures, especially Ma Pignon? Was he just supposed to help the Mimigas, Curly, and nothing else?
Anyway who knows maybe the act is eating him up inside.

Also he gives the Pignon to Curly because he is generous and wants her to have the memories of the past. Also you wouldn't assume that the Pignon restores ALL memory, that thought only occurred to me as Curly was retelling the story of the previous crown bearer.
that and how the hell would you have presented getting your memory back seriously how would that work

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:21 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
sexplosive said:
Also he gives the Pignon to Curly because he is generous and wants her to have the memories of the past.

He gives it to her because he wants to shove it in her mouth :mahin:

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:30 PM
Pirate Member
It's still fucking messed up killing that mushroom for nothing. I thought Quote was Lawful Good.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:50 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
It's a-okay because Quote fights for his friends! *Insert SSBB joke here*

Apr 30, 2011 at 6:57 PM
Been here way too long...
WoodenRat said:
It's still fucking messed up killing that mushroom for nothing. I thought Quote was Lawful Good.

Quote's actually neutral good, so there. You guys don't know how Quote felt about killing this mushroom. You only think he didn't care because you're projecting your reaction onto him. No one got choked up about it, so you're assuming Quote didn't either, but if you don't want to him to look like a monster, just assume he was wracked with guilt over the whole thing.

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM
Pirate Member
Maybe he was just pissed off about getting tricked about the Mushroom badge?

May 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Uh... I don't think Quote killed the mushroom; it was Defeated, but it was still alive "You win....."; it didn't puff into smoke like other killed mushrooms.

And Curly didn't *Eat* the poor sentient mushroom, I think Quote jammed it in her mouth. So it's probably alive somewhere inside her. :(

May 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM
Pirate Member
Ma Pignon isn't the only thing he jammed in.