Escape Velocity

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:18 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
Escape Velocity is a 2D roleplaying space combat game for Mac. EV is full of epic win, and is one of the most popular games released exclusively for Mac. Yes, it's kinda old (1996), but you can also get Escape Velocity: Overrride and, the best game in the series, Escape Velocity: Nova. I swear it's impossible not to like EV:N, you should download the trial (full version is $30). You start out making small deliveries in your little shuttle craft, and you can follow any one of six major storylines. I don't know if I can do this game justice with mere words, so I will just tell you that Escape Velocity: Nova is available for PC. Now you have no reaon not to try it.
diph.php

Escape Velocity
Escape Velocity: Override
Escape Velocity: Nova (friggin' awesome)
Wikipedia's article on EVN

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:32 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I thought this was a thread about falling off the rocket in the Plantation. o.o

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:26 AM
Because that would make sense.
It disappoints me that so many people are ignoring this wonderful series. EV Nova really is a fantastic game.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:27 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
We ignore it, cause we are no Mac fags.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM
EV NOVA IS FOR PC. I SAID THAT.
You could have just said tl;dr and saved a little face.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:34 AM
Vanished.
"(full version is $30)"

That what bugs me.
You just could hang yourself and your mom would stop crying.

Oh and btw:
The Title states: "Escape Velocity"

Not: Escape Velocity: Nova.

No one cared (and is going to care) about that series cause it was Mac-only.
There you go.
Fail.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:02 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Schokobecher said:
"(full version is $30)"

That what bugs me.
You just could hang yourself and your mom would stop crying.

Screw you game.

Oh and btw:
The Title states: "Escape Velocity"

Not: Escape Velocity: Nova.

No one cared (and is going to care) about that series cause it was Mac-only.
There you go.
Fail.

..... wtf is your problem?

All he was doing was to introduce a game to us like what he should be doing in the correct section of the forums.

Epic win PMS.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:25 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Careful Becher, I happen to be a close friend of the people who made Escape Velocity, and besides knowing the best plug-ins and total conversions (massive plug-ins that change the entire game so none of it is from the stock scenario) also know that the design team consists of a middle age man who builds full sized, working airplanes in his spare time, Australians who host a radio show, many of which have wives and kids to feed.

It's an awesome game, one that I've lost countless weeks of my life to playing and making plug-ins for. While the fullscreen mode of EVN only supports 1024x768 (the original WinNova engine was released in 2005; give the devs a break) I know of some resolution patches that can fix that for a wide variety of monitors, big and small.

The demo version of the game allows you to purchase pretty much every outfit and ship in the game for 30 days, and lets you go part way through all the major story strings. It won't let you capture ships, but you can still get some very powerful ships. And it's for Windows, and the demo's a free download. Come on, what's wrong with that?

And by the by, the link to the pirated version of the game is a 404 not found error. Try that again and you're going to be in serious trouble, buster.

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:29 AM
It's kind of like if I said "Cave Story is an amazing game" on some other forum and someone else was like "CAVE STORY SUCKS FOR ALL THESE REASONS BUT I HAVEN'T PLAYED IT BECAUSE IT SUCKS." Then I would have no choice but to smile sadly and let them continue their Cave Story-less lives. Just take our word for it that EVN rocks your socks.

Jul 19, 2009 at 12:48 PM
Vanished.
Try that again and you're going to be in serious trouble, buster.
I shit mah pants.
Oh and fixed.

All he was doing was to introduce a game to us like what he should be doing in the correct section of the forums.

Epic win PMS.
He was complaining that no one cared about Escape Velocity.
I told him why.
You think we would care about the X series if it were Mac only? and only one title get's released for pc?
I don't think so.

Oh and btw, whats the "Pirate Starbridge"?
Your Ship?
All the Ships on Screen (except the big, fat one on the right) look very tiny, is that normal?

Jul 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM
Luls
Schokobecher said:
You think we would care about the X series if it were Mac only? and only one title get's released for pc?
I don't think so.

You wouldn't know until he told us about the friggin game -_-.

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM
The two large ships you see are some of the biggest in the game. The small ones you see are some of the smallest. The Pirate Starbridge, which is off-screen, is a very nice (though expensive) medium fighter.
And Schokobecher, I told everyone about the series because not everyone has an irrational hatred towards Apple. Some people here even own Macs. Remember how Cave Story was ported to them?

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:53 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Captain Fabulous said:
And Schokobecher, I told everyone about the series because not everyone has an irrational hatred towards Apple. Some people here even own Macs. Remember how Cave Story was ported to them?

._. ive used mac quite a bit, and i still think pc is far better, but its really up to a matter of opinion, i've always thought mac is more suited to people who do multimedia stuff such as drawing, photographs, movie making etc, while pc is better in everything else .-.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:08 AM
Exactly. Macs are not better than PCs and PCs are not better than Macs. It's like saying cats are better than dogs.
And if you're thinking of pirating EV Nova, it's impossible. I know the price of $30 is a bit steep for a game this old, but just download the trial. It's so worth it.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:08 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Captain Fabulous said:
Exactly. Macs are not better than PCs and PCs are not better than Macs. It's like saying cats are better than dogs.
And if you're thinking of pirating EV Nova, it's impossible. I know the price of $30 is a bit steep for a game this old, but just download the trial. It's so worth it.

:( Never under estimate the pirates D:, and plus, pirating is the only way i would even think about playing it. Hell, if cavestory was a game i had to pay for, from looking at the screen shots i wouldnt of gave it a second thought, but of course now that i know how good the game is i would happily pay for it. but meh i dont know about this game so im not gonna fork out the cash
Oh and dogs are better then cats, unless the cats are catgirls. oh and im aware doom text doesnt work lol

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:11 AM
Okay, so when I said it's impossible I mean there aren't any cracks out for the latest version of it.
...I have version 1.0.6, not 1.0.10. Shhh.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:49 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Captain Fabulous said:
Okay, so when I said it's impossible I mean there aren't any cracks out for the latest version of it.
...I have version 1.0.6, not 1.0.10. Shhh.

lol, im sure there will be cracks as long as it was a good game. i mean, no ones gonna pirate a shit game

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:08 AM
Banned
diph.php

I'm not sure if this is really worth such a large necrobump, but I ran into a fairly poorly-documented easter egg while in the Fomalhaut system (having just shortly before jumped from the Kon system). It's not shopped, it's actually in the game. I couldn't find anything about it on the wiki, but if you Google it it's plastered all over every cheat site out there... I didn't want to stop to get a picture of the actual ship (dark red Leviathan, I saw it on the pass through) because as anyone who's played the game can see, I was being chased by a large ship (the smaller one next to him was hostile, too, but he'd just jumped into the system).

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:48 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I remember that. There are a lot of those things in Override, which I find to be the most charming title.

Anyway, I read the thread, and all previous titles were ported to EV Nova, if that makes you want to buy it, because it is an extension.

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM
Banned
I'd heard they were ported through into Nova, but I haven't actually checked that out yet. I'm sure it would be a good idea since I can't get them legitimately.

Also... Has anyone heard of another Ambrosia title called Ares? I'd like to know about it.

Back