Donate an org :)

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
The title says it all, donate an organ! I mean an .org.:D I`ve noticed how many new modders were using other people`s stuff without permission, so this would be a solution. This thread is meant to be a pack of freeware .orgs every modder - who is unable to make his own music - can use. A charitable part of the forums.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This sounds like a great idea and I'd donahe some .orgs but I'm using all of mine (and a bunch from GIR):/ sorry.

One problem with this thread:
users donating .orgs have to be responsible for deleting or un-linking the .org after someone takes it, so there isn't an accidental debate over who gets what.

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
who says that a piece can't be used in multiple games?

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
You're giving it away to charity, why should only one person be able to use it?

Jun 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I agree with explosive and Vercci.

I'm assuming they do still have to give credit, of course. Prolly goes without saying. In any case, my Metroid .orgs that are on the tribute site are free for anybody to use, including the ones I'm going to add later on.

Though they're on the tribute site, should I link directly to them?

Jun 2, 2010 at 8:12 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Hey, you know what? This is a really cool idea--like, what if you may not have the confidence and perseverance to make your own full mod, but might want to mess around with making ORGs or something? This is actually a really righteous motivator to get guys like me interested in making ORGs just so people have a pool of stuff to choose from to give some life to their mods without having to make them themselves.

It's kinda like the whole thing going on with Super Mario World hackers now that you can make and use custom songs; all over youtube and SMW central you'll have people making and posting "smw-ized" versions of songs for people to use, and that's really cool to me.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Yes, this is a great idea. It would be really nice to have some usable orgs without all this asking for permission stuff. I'm horrible at making orgs, and everytime I make one it contains way too much dissonance. My "dissonancy" skill did help me on Path Of Ruin, which fit very well.

Jun 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
So this is basically a public-domain collection of ORGs.

I was thinking that each composer who donates would be able to put certain rights on his/her ORG. Such as "this is free to use, but you have to credit me," or even: "this is free to use. No credit is necessary, but would it be nice if you did so."

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM
So, uh. I have and have messed around a bit with OrgMaker 134 or "1.3.4" but there seems to be this new one talked about a lot called 2.0.5, or "OrgMaker 2" that I now see is on the site. Well, I've heard a lot of new instruments won't work with Cave Story so I guess there's no reason to make orgs using them for mods, but is the program itself worth using over 134? Like, would it be beneficial for me to use it just as far as new features and all that? And if that's the case exactly which instruments am I supposed to avoid using (if any aside from the percussion explained in the sticky here)?

Jun 3, 2010 at 8:54 PM
That percussion is what you're only supposed to use because any information in those tracks will use those instruments inside cave story. Although if you're going to use it get the 2.05X translation. the 2.05 version messed with the drums and listening to old orgs will make them seem screwed.

Jun 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM
Vercci said:
That percussion is what you're only supposed to use because any information in those tracks will use those instruments inside cave story. Although if you're going to use it get the 2.05X translation. the 2.05 version messed with the drums and listening to old orgs will make them seem screwed.

So where exactly do I find "2.05X"?; and on a similar note, the link to 2.05 on the MG site leads to an error now. And using google is no help, it seems this was the only site with it at all.. AND another question, what's the deal with ORGasm? It sounds like it'd be nice to have but it's in beta and according to volley he's "never used it but has heard it has a lot of bugs". Is it actually any good? And does it even work with 2.05 regardless?

(P.S. I don't mean to be leading this thread off the wrong track but hopefully when I do get the right stuff I can at least make something to make up for that)

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:17 PM
I have a version I "fixed up" by translating a few unknown functions. The real deal is likely on the tribute site. Shall I upload mine?

Also, my verdict is don't bother with ORGasm.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:46 PM
Yes, considering the link here leads to this, I'd appreciate you to upload yours :3

Also sending an email to the webmaster about that broken link..

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:27 AM
http://thornbush.monarch-pass.net/miscfiles/Org205j.zip

(j for Jackalope, of course)

I included some help files that came with my copy, a messy translation of the Quick Help, and also the first .org I ever made, only because Xazer also included an org. I hops aboard bandwagons.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM
Thank you!

...though I still wanna make sure some things are clear. First of all, many sources remind you to set the percussion to specific instruments and never change them when it comes to using Org2... but the "numbers" assigned to instrument channels are different. For one, it seems everything's "moved over" to the left by one since Org2's channels start at 1 rather than 0. Secondly, the percussion channels have been changed from numbers to QWERTY-order letters. So when I seee:

8 - Bass01
9 - Snare01
10 - Hiclose
11 - Hiopen
12 - Tom01
13 - Per01

in the case of this program it SHOULD be:

Q - Bass01
W - Snare01
E - Hiclose
R - Hiopen
T - Tom01
Y - Per01

right?

And then there's two additional percussion channels past Y (though they were also there in the old version), should those just be completely ignored?

Next, what about the instrument channels, 1-8 (or 0-7 in older versions)? I hear all 99 Wave instruments are fine to use in orgs meant to be used in CS/mods, but is there a certain setup that is "usually used" by org masters out there?

And lastly, I read in this documentation that orgs should never be larger in filesize than a song in Cave Story that they replace else crashing might happen. Is there a good solid filesize number I should keep in mind so I don't make any given org I make un-usable?

(also, I'm starting to feel like maybe this set of replies should be moved to its own thread, especially for the link to your OrgMaker2 until the one on the main site's fixed or something, lol)

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ragnaroq said:
Next, what about the instrument channels, 1-8 (or 0-7 in older versions)? I hear all 99 Wave instruments are fine to use in orgs meant to be used in CS/mods, but is there a certain setup that is "usually used" by org masters out there?

And lastly, I read in this documentation that orgs should never be larger in filesize than a song in Cave Story that they replace else crashing might happen. Is there a good solid filesize number I should keep in mind so I don't make any given org I make un-usable?

Which waves you use is up to you, it's all about personal preference. You'll find yourself coming back to waves on your own though, once you get started. Personal faves of mine are 12, 14, 23, 25, 34, 36, 66, 75

And the part about the filesize is a myth. You can put in RIDICULOUSLY large orgs, and the game will run perfectly. Org importation is only slightly buggy if using SW, since SW doesn't like to modify exes that have new orgs.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM
ragnaroq said:
Thank you!

...though I still wanna make sure some things are clear. First of all, many sources remind you to set the percussion to specific instruments and never change them when it comes to using Org2... but the "numbers" assigned to instrument channels are different. For one, it seems everything's "moved over" to the left by one since Org2's channels start at 1 rather than 0. Secondly, the percussion channels have been changed from numbers to QWERTY-order letters. So when I seee:

8 - Bass01
9 - Snare01
10 - Hiclose
11 - Hiopen
12 - Tom01
13 - Per01

in the case of this program it SHOULD be:

Q - Bass01
W - Snare01
E - Hiclose
R - Hiopen
T - Tom01
Y - Per01

right?

And then there's two additional percussion channels past Y (though they were also there in the old version), should those just be completely ignored?

Quite welcome :)

There are two replies on the forum that answer those, and fortunately I copypasta'd them. But I forget who said what.

Not neccessarily. I've done all my orgs in ORGv2, and as long as you follow the proper procedure they work fine. The big issue is that you have to set up your drums just so.

just so, being:
8(Q) - Bass01
9(W) - Snare01
10(E) - Hiclose
11(R) - Hiopen
12(T) - Tom01
13 - Per01

and leave tracks Y, U, and I alone and don't use them at all.

Oh ok my bad. And actually that applies to orgmaker v1 as well. I would like to add that track 13 (called track Y in orgmaker v2) can be used as well; the sound that it will make is similar but not quite identical to Per01. Putting anything in tracks 14 or 15 (U or I) will crash the game.

I added the letter equivalents in the first one.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:46 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Only issues with 2.05 (besides voices that can't be used in CS) are that in lags on slow computers (more so than 1.34) and the percussion sounds somewhat different than what it does in CS.

ORGasm is a piece of junk; it's very inefficient and plays horribly out of tune.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:11 AM
ragnaroq said:
So where exactly do I find "2.05X"?; and on a similar note, the link to 2.05 on the MG site leads to an error now. And using google is no help, it seems this was the only site with it at all.. AND another question, what's the deal with ORGasm? It sounds like it'd be nice to have but it's in beta and according to volley he's "never used it but has heard it has a lot of bugs". Is it actually any good? And does it even work with 2.05 regardless?

(P.S. I don't mean to be leading this thread off the wrong track but hopefully when I do get the right stuff I can at least make something to make up for that)

It's the english translation under it. Xaser fixed up the weird sounding instruments. ORGasm was discontinued, and at the moment plays slightly slower than other orgs, not to mention needing to compile an org before you can listen to it. Just go for the orgmaker series.

Jun 4, 2010 at 2:32 AM
ohhh, I thought the english thing under it would just be a link to a patch, not the program itself. Either way, Jackalope fixed me up.

Now, it's no masterpiece, but I thought of the simplest song I could and replicated it in Org Maker.

Bomberman (NES) Stage Theme
(compare to the real thing)

And of course, that's free for anyone to use, though I'm really just posting it to show I did *something*. If you do end up using it, since it's so simple you really don't have to credit me...

But the point is, this is actually quite fun. I guess I'll start trying something a little more complicated than that, lol.