Did Booster create Quote and Curly?

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've seen a couple Booster-related threads already, but none focusing on this specific question.

Think about it--he's shown to be an expert inventor, as he created the (item) Booster. And then there's this bit of dialogue early on in the game:

Booster: !!!
((Booster runs toward you.))
Kazuma: Oh, do you two know each other?
Booster: .....
Booster: No...
Booster: No, we've never met.
Booster: Never mind, we must hurry to find Sue.

...I find it strange that he would have that sudden, startled reaction to Quote, and then not give any explanation for it.

Then:

Booster: And yet it enabled me to meet you once again...
Booster: I pray for your victory...

...It's the 'once again' that really gets me there. It's as if he's referring to having met Quote a long time ago.

So, what do you think? Was Booster the one to create the two robots, or will we never know who the creator(s) were?

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
no. he didnt make them.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:24 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I think the first conversation that you quoted hints that Booster had something to do with robot manufacturing, but not Quote or Curly. The two were probably made by the same organization, so if he played an integral role in building or developing Curly, he would have seen Quote, and vice versa.
Now, I don't know the context of the other two lines you quoted, but it looks like he just contradicted himself. That's from when he gives you the Booster 2.0, right? Maybe he was just talking about meeting you before in Arthur's house.
If Booster did help make robots, it would explain why Balrog can fly...

Apr 26, 2009 at 4:55 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Maybe he was just shocked that he was a robot from the surface and he wasn't aware that they existed like most of the cthulu. That or he thought for a moment that quote was a killer robot

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:08 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well Booster is an old fuck so he probably remembers the robot war.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:16 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmm...

Considering Booster's age and that he came from the surface, he just probably recalled the war and recognized Quote for what he was. Although Quote and Curly are {most likely [and hopefully] } one-of-a-kind, there probably would have been thousands of robots during the war, and Booster's expertise might have meant he'd would've had a lot of contact with such robots.
Then again, I'm not really sure he knows anything about robotics; the Boosters 0.8 and 2.0 were made to help with exploration of the island, meaning Booster might just only be a researcher....
...a creative and inventive researcher, though....

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Eh?

What ever pointed out that he never remembered the war?

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:24 AM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
No. i`ll bet you anything
that Booster knows SOMETHING about the robot war

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
whyme said:
No. i`ll bet you anything
that Booster knows SOMETHING about the robot war
And I'll prove that. Booster knows that the robot war really happened. Which definitely counts as SOMETHING.
As for something specific, well, he surely remembers the Enraged descending upon the Surface. But unless he had something to do with the robot army, he most likely knows nothing about what happened on the Island.
But back on topic: No, Booster didn't create Quote. There is no definite proof, and those two quotes (snicker) can be easily explained with facts revealed in-game (as they already were on page 1).

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:14 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
T-Jack said:
And I'll prove that. Booster knows that the robot war really happened. Which definitely counts as SOMETHING.
As for something specific, well, he surely remembers the Enraged descending upon the Surface. But unless he had something to do with the robot army, he most likely knows nothing about what happened on the Island.
maybe hes senile.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:55 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I always wondered about that scene in the Grasstown shelter. It never occurred to me that Booster might have been Quote's/Curly's creator, but I like that theory.

Apr 26, 2009 at 6:58 PM
The Town Bicycle *cough*
"Keep on rollin'!"
give him a ma pignon and well find out.

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM
"Huzzah!"
whyme said:
give him a ma pignon and well find out.
to bad their was only 1

Apr 27, 2009 at 8:26 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
odin 2128 said:
to bad their was only 1

That we know of.
I mean, for fucks sake it's a mushroom.
Can't be totally unique.

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM
This Troper
Let's just wait until it respawns... What? It worked with Chinfish...

Apr 28, 2009 at 12:06 AM
Been here way too long...
Booster didn't create Curly and Quote, but he had something to do with robots at some time in his life. The end.

Apr 28, 2009 at 11:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
There's no proof that Booster had anything to do with quote's creation. I'll give a real life example: I can recognise a car but I've never helped design/make one.

Actually, I kinda assumed that Quote, Curly and the killer robots were designed by the military or something. I had my imagination going with a whole surface government and everything. There's go to be something like that, but there's actually no data about it in the game.

May 6, 2009 at 3:17 AM
In front of a computer
"Quote" said:
So, what do you think? Was Booster the one to create the two robots, or will we never know who the creator(s) were?
Unlikely. The "once again" argument doesn't hold water – all it implies is that he has met Quote before, which is true (he met him in Grasstown). The recognition argument could have a myriad of other causes. For example:
  • He helped to design the Quote and Curly robots, but didn't help with building them.
  • He helped to design other robots, possibly ones that share features with Quote and Curly.
  • He heard about Quote and Curly from some other source, but had never seen him.

May 9, 2009 at 6:10 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Celtic Minstrel said:
Unlikely. The "once again" argument doesn't hold water – all it implies is that he has met Quote before, which is true (he met him in Grasstown). The recognition argument could have a myriad of other causes. For example:
  • He helped to design the Quote and Curly robots, but didn't help with building them.
  • He helped to design other robots, possibly ones that share features with Quote and Curly.
  • He heard about Quote and Curly from some other source, but had never seen him.
I agree with #2, he is so gifted with technology (booster 0.8/2.0), maybe he designed some robots (not necessarily Quote or Curly)