Determining Mimiga gender, and the consequences thereof

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:43 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Let's see.
The Red Flower war took place ten years ago.
The Doctor killed a handful of Mimiga villagers.
There are only six Mimigas living in the Village, and Chaco has no offspring. Unless there was never an adult female in the village and Chaco is infertile, I'mma say no.

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:53 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
What if mimigas actually laid eggs?

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:00 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
And the Egg Corridor is actually a converted Mimiga incubation chamber/spawning ground?

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:04 AM
That wouldn't change their birth rate, it would only change the way they care for their young. This might actually be the case, since not all egg-laying animals stick around for the hatching, or leave just afterwards. In Cave Story, you don't see any parents or children. That old guy (refresh me on his name) sitting beside Chie might be her grandfather, or he might be a random old guy who decided to take care of her. Perhaps that is how Mimiga society works: the whole community takes care of the young, and in some cases one person in particular is most involved.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM
daughter of chivalry
Zett be his name.

But (correct me if we already covered this) how do we know that isn't the case? The doctor killed a bunch of mimiga villagers. For all we know it could have been a bustling society with parents and children..but they were killed off. Hell, for all we know random villagers like Mahin or Kanpachi may have had children and/or parents that were killed off.

Or something.

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:58 AM
WD said:
Kanpachi may have had children ... that were killed off.
Ha no. No offspring of Kanpachi could be killed by the Doctor or Misery.

But that was ten years ago. We already determined the Mimiga life cycle, so they should have more children by now if they breed like rabbits.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:23 AM
daughter of chivalry
Maybe the doctor gave all the males vasectomies..or maybe he just killed all the baby mimgas as soon as they popped out

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:40 AM
You'd think someone would mention mass neutering/infanticide.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:47 AM
daughter of chivalry
They repress the memories of the horrors..maybe...

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:50 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
WD said:
Zhett be his name.
Fix'd.

But what about Chie? She seems to be born rather recently.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:28 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Well the Colons are approximately ten years old, she seems a bit younger than them even though. Maybe like 6 or 8. So that would imply that at least two adults survived the war and reproduced since then. Right? Unless they do lay eggs which have a four-year gestation period which I think sounds silly.

Sep 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
so I'm thinking there are probably more adult females around than chaco, and in a similar way to how video games "conveniently forego" showing absolutely every nook and cranny and inhabitant of a world because that would take too long, take too much effort and detract from the game itself, they just aren't show. for example Maridia "just plain didn't exist" in Metroid or even Metroid: Zero Mission despite the fact that we know it's there in Super Metroid and it didn't just sprout inside Zebes between the half-decade or whatever between Metroid and Super Metroid. Or how that ice mountain region of Hyrule didn't seem to exist whatsoever in OoT despite the fact it's there in TP, which is just a few hundred years after OoT/MM, alternate to WW. And a million other examples I can't think of. Basically, there may be more areas with more Mimigas hiding throughout the Island that we never see, or even more Mimigas in the village/plantation/grasstown that we just plain never see period.

I think the random prisoners/Shovel Brigade/caged Mimigas at the King's Table all kind of represent the "several random mimigas all around the island" or whatever, and aren't meant to be actually considered the complete set of individuals that might be in that situation or even considered necessarily "male" or "female" (and besides, the ones at the King's Table it could be considered are implied to be female). But yeah, it's like any number of old NES-era titles that Cave Story is paying homage to as a game, in which being able to count the exact number of sprites in a crowd at a sporting event may not mean that the developer intended there to only be like 50 people there but just couldn't be assed to show you absolutely every single person. I think if there were really, seriously a "shortage of women" problem for the Mimigas it'd have been mentioned somewhere in some form, as a sort of "we're a dyin' race, man" sort of thing, but it never was.

But then again, maybe it could be inferred that Santa is down on Earth in the ending to find some human (or rabbit?) booty with which to form some halfbreeds due to the lack of girls. And notice Chaco's with him. Maybe Chaco's there for the same reason, and is actually a man dressed in drag; they're plotting how they're going to go about it. Doing it with tons of humans and making a lot of creatures that look like Enraged Sue.

I'm... okay with this.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
And what if Mahin is actually the doctor? You never see them together!

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:02 PM
daughter of chivalry
ragnaroq said:
everything

That's an excellent point; there may be others. We can never know. It's highly unlikely that the entire island consists of a village, plantation, sand zone, a grasszone, and egg corridor. That'd be one tiny and shitty island. There must have been more to it.

And if Chaco were a dragqueen, maybe he/she is secretly running a mimiga drag competition. RuChaco's Dragrace or something. But there aren't many mimigas around..so jellies and power critters are fine too.