Curse Broken Issue

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey all,

Like (most of?) everyone here, I absolutely love Cave Story and all its versions (though I haven't played it---I've heard CS3D leaves much to be desired). However, I'm amazed that after all this time, nobody has a fix for the "Curse Broken" achievement and how it's not registering with Cave Story+. There's no way it's a complicated issue, but yet after years of the game's release this has not been address yet. Does anyone know why this is---and why everyone (including the consumers/fans) has been relatively silent about it?

p170447-0-fa5jmf6.png

I'm also seeing people with 0.2% complete in the Global Achievements listings--is there an exploit I'm unaware of?

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The reason there isn't a fix for this is because of a lack of action on Nicalis' part. I'm pretty sure they've known about this bug for a long time, but never got around to fixing it.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Based Member
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
The reason there isn't a fix for this is because of a lack of action on Nicalis' part. I'm pretty sure they've known about this bug for a long time, but never got around to fixing it.
As is the case with so very many other glitches in CS+, and other ports of Cave Story.

Jun 30, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:

Makes sense of course, but why? Why stop supporting the game when it's clearly played and enjoyed by countless people? On top of that, I'm almost positive it's a simple boolean that's not implemented properly--not some critical flaw of the game engine--there should be no reason that a company would just "stop caring"...

Also, none of this explains why 0.2% have the achievement: If they can do it (no matter the means), then so can we.

Jun 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Based Member
In a way I feel bad speaking ill of good people who have helped make Cave Story more popular, and perhaps this is influenced by my prejudice toward NICALiS, but the simple answer to your question is that NICALiS is a very unprofessional company. They have a very poor debugging routine, and are bad about being on top of implementing stuff that they hinted at or announced they were going to, and rarely if not never make acknowledgement of those who contact them. And as a symptom of their inability to make polished releases and make patches that fix all the bugs, they haven't, and also probably won't, fix this glitch. It's only in extreme cases like the first Wiiware release and the E-shop release where they release patches that fix a big glitch, and maybe a few not so large ones, and then still leave some glitches in it. And I doubt this glitch will warrant such action for them.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:12 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
They are lazy. Look at the cs wii face pics and see that they used a scaling program to make them the larger size. I'm happy people play the game too but not if this kind of ethic makes them think it's lazy and something the devs didn't care about.

They are lazy. Look at the cs wii face pics and see that they used a scaling program to make them the larger size. I'm happy people play the game too but not if this kind of ethic makes them think it's lazy and something the devs didn't care about. I have no respect for a Dev that wouldn't show that respect to this game.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:25 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
NiCALiS is a company that won't nurture their releases unless havoc storms over what they may have forgotten. May that be a major bug of sorts, or an assortment of little glitches that correspond to small details. (My opinion, I'm sure it could use some enlightenment.)

Jun 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pixel always payed attention to the smallest details:
- Mr. Little says something if you keep him to the rest of the game
- the credit art and dialogue are changed when you avoid the obvious task of talking to Momorin to get the booster back.
- Heck, it even stops you if you try to go to last cave early, I think everyone here that knows that is because of the one person who was crazy enough to utilize mercy invincibility to do that, anyone here figured it out themselves?

Though it's wonderful that a company with an existant budget and the tools to bring it to Nintendo could refurbish the game... It's somewhat ironic that the laziness is very observant for such a near detail-perfect game. I also think that it deserves more.

And I wish I knew what those 0.2% people did to get that achievement.
0.2% = 1 / 500
So if 1,000 people have gotten the game (I don't know how many, this is an example)
That means only two people know how to (hack?) obtain it.

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
EnlightenedOne said:
- the credit art and dialogue are changed when you avoid the obvious task of talking to Momorin to get the booster back.
- Heck, it even stops you if you try to go to last cave early, I think everyone here that knows that is because of the one person who was crazy enough to utilize mercy invincibility to do that, anyone here figured it out themselves?

Though it's wonderful that a company with an existant budget and the tools to bring it to Nintendo could refurbish the game... It's somewhat ironic that the laziness is very observant for such a near detail-perfect game. I also think that it deserves more.

0.2% = 1 / 500
So if 1,000 people have gotten the game (I don't know how many, this is an example)
It could have been done in or before beta testing maybe. Maybe Tyrone has it or something.

Jun 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Based Member
EnlightenedOne said:
Pixel always payed attention to the smallest details...
While I agree with the gist of your post, there is actually an inaccuracy.

EnlightenedOne said:
While the dialogue and sprites were modified to accommodate the Mimiga Mask ending (and it even has Quote's walking sprite in between epilogue scenes be the Mimiga mask one), the credit art illustrations depicting Quote with the Mimiga mask were actually never in the original Cave Story; rather, they first appeared in Cave Story Wiiware.

Jun 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
EnlightenedOne said:

0.2% = 1 / 500
I'm making a push for people to reach out to Nicalis--with enough people voicing their issue with this bug directly to their site (and not some kind of petition), it's that much more likely they'll take action on it (ESPECIALLY considering how quick a fix it would be):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/200900/discussions/0/864945401060505506/#c846957366800065697

As posted in the above Steam thread, I've sent an inquiry to http://www.nicalis.com/ (best opened in Internet Explorer unfortunately, there seems to be an issue filling out the Contact form with Firefox) -- and I hope you all do the same!

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
HaydenStudios said:
While I agree with the gist of your post, there is actually an inaccuracy. While the dialogue and sprites were modified to accommodate the Mimiga Mask ending (and it even has Quote's walking sprite in between epilogue scenes be the Mimiga mask one), the credit art illustrations depicting Quote with the Mimiga mask were actually never in the original Cave Story; rather, they first appeared in Cave Story Wiiware.
My bad... I completely forgot that detail.

And remember that I still love what NiCALiS has done, just wish for a little more thought put into all the releases...
Zagnut said:
I'm making a push for people to reach out to Nicalis--with enough people voicing their issue with this bug directly to their site (and not some kind of petition), it's that much more likely they'll take action on it (ESPECIALLY considering how quick a fix it would be):

http://steamcommunity.com/app/200900/discussions/0/864945401060505506/#c846957366800065697

As posted in the above Steam thread, I've sent an inquiry to http://www.nicalis.com/ (best opened in Internet Explorer unfortunately, there seems to be an issue filling out the Contact form with Firefox) -- and I hope you all do the same!
No thanks on my part... Not being able to get an achievement isn't the end of the world...

(Says the guy who secretly tries to earn them every once and awhile)

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
EnlightenedOne said:
My bad... I completely forgot that detail.

And remember that I still love what NiCALiS has done, just wish for a little more thought put into all the releases...
No thanks on my part... Not being able to get an achievement isn't the end of the world...

(Says the guy who secretly tries to earn them every once and awhile)

It's not so much about the achievement as it is refusing to allow incomplete releases and 'distracted' developers slip by. Your call; "Passivity is the same as defending injustice."

Aug 2, 2014 at 2:49 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I apologize sincerely for replying to a topic over a year old, but I felt the need to answer this question:

There are tools such as SAMPicker that allow you to hack into the network and change which Steam achievements you have. This is how the 0.3% of people unlocked this achievement, among them myself. Call it shameless, but I had beaten Ballos legitimately, so I feel no guilt. If getting the achievement means this much to anyone, this is the simple way to unlock it.