CSTSF Modding Competition 2017 - Submission and Discussion Thread

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
oh yeah that's another point, BL users are fucked because BL automatically modifies the exe doesn't it?
I looked at the EXEs he posted (well I only looked at the 50fps one but I assume 60fps has the same conditions) and it looks like he opened those in BL so they have the necessary section for mapdata so BL users should be fine.

edit: looks like zxin posted a split second before me

Mar 31, 2017 at 2:02 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Mar 31, 2017 at 4:21 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
p357938-0-can8eop.png

Well it's been quite a confusing mess today, but dunc has decided to step in and is going to host the next contest. So, ignore all of this stuff and wait until May!! And make sure to join the Discord server if you haven't already, because most of the important discussion goes on in there. Also: it's important to note that dunc is our trusted and respected leader, so the contest is in good hands with him :)

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:29 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I will still be holding this competition if anybody is still interested.
I'm definitely entering. This is probably the only modding competition I could possibly win since there's no ASM wizardry to compete against.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:51 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
p357938-0-can8eop.png

Well it's been quite a confusing mess today, but dunc has decided to step in and is going to host the next contest. So, ignore all of this stuff and wait until May!! And make sure to join the Discord server if you haven't already, because most of the important discussion goes on in there. Also: it's important to note that dunc is our trusted and respected leader, so the contest is in good hands with him :)
God bless dunc, our lord and savior.

I will still be holding this competition if anybody is still interested.
have fun with like two entries

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:37 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I might throw something terrible into here sometime between now and the deadline, but don't count on it.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm definitely entering. This is probably the only modding competition I could possibly win since there's no ASM wizardry to compete against.
I think people don't realise that asm hacks don't make a good mod. Quality game design makes a good mod. A turd with icing on top is still a turd.

Most of the greatest mods on these forums don't use asm hacks at all.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:48 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I think I might cook up something small for this to put myself out there. Is it alright if I edit map properties, or is that changing too much?

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:55 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
This thread does not have my support or participation

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:57 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I think you'll find that a majority of the mods on the forums have their .exes changed in some way. (except very old ones)
Most only resort to small edits, if any. Not major hacks that involve more than editing a small value here and there.
There easily is a big gap between these two, from a certain perspective.
Some modcon entries from last year really focused on these 'major hacks' (hacker story, critter defense, starzzz etc.) while some just resorted to smaller edits (Editing weapons stats, editing values on npcs, changing starting data etc.).
Not allowing the latter makes modding quite narrow.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
I think people don't realise that asm hacks don't make a good mod. Quality game design makes a good mod. A turd with icing on top is still a turd.

Most of the greatest mods on these forums don't use asm hacks at all.
I was mainly talking about mods like Hacker Story and Critter TD that rely heavily on ASM hacks. Also, I think most mods are hacked in some way. Whether that be one or two custom weapons, or just the name of a map, it's still changing the exe.

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:58 PM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
It's quite the challenge, but in a weird way I do kinda support the idea behind it.
Well yeah, it would be great if I could change the menu music or swap out sheets, it imposes the challenge of going to the bare-most basics.
It's not an interpretation, it's a hard-limit to creatively work with.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:43 PM
Based Member
oh yeah that's another point, BL users are fucked because BL automatically modifies the exe doesn't it?
Even if the editor modifies the EXE in some unexpected way when you don't mean to, you can simply switch the EXE back out with one provided by zxin when you're done. As long as you're not messing with stuff you shouldn't be, this shouldn't cause any problems.

Mar 31, 2017 at 6:01 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It'd be nice if a data folder would be supplied too tbh, bl doesn't rename the filenames if you use an .exe that already has been opened.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:49 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
FYI I have come up with an idea for an entry. Whether or not I'll have time to work on it is another matter, but I'll see what I can do :mahin: