CSTSF 2016 Modding Competition Showcase & Voting Thread

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:38 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Welcome to the voting portion of the 2016 CSTSF Modding Competition! We have a whopping 19 entries this time around, and they are all unique and representative of our community.

Click here to view the original thread for discussion and submission. Below I have included some information that was discussed in that thread, such as the prize list and end of the voting period, for convenience.

With all that out of the way, here are all of the submissions! (Organized by time submitted, for now)

The goal of this contest was to make a Cave Story mod that is creative. Something original, something "out there." This was intentionally left open-ended as to not hamper the imagination of those who wanted to get their interesting ideas out there. Even though the main focus was creativity, good design should have been prioritized above all else.

Those who have submitted mods and/or are voting, read this!
As I more or less explained in the other thread, scoring will have two segments this time: Technical rating (40% of score) and community voting (60%). The technical rating will be judged as the mods were when the deadline was reached, and this can more or less start immediately. Mods will be tiered based on level of completion and polish relative to their amount of content, after which mistakes will be docked and final order will be considered. "Technical" in this sense means things like scripting errors and such, i.e. your tiling can be as godawful and messy as it wants and use 100% base assets for all I care, as long as it doesn't hamper the ability to play the game (although it may dock a couple subranks). All tiering will be posted publicly for community input before being approved.

While mods cannot improve their technical score or add new content, modders can request to fix serious (or possibly seriously distracting) errors during the playing period. Only approved requests (via tpcool or possibly me or idk who else has done any organizing) will be accepted. If it's not in the first post of the voting thread then it doesn't count.

Community vote scoring will take place like so:
• Mods will be ranked in order of personal preference
• Users must rank a minimum of at least their top 6 mods, or as many as all of them if they so wish.
• They will get points from each position based on this table.
• Any mods a person doesn't rank will be given the average of the remaining unranked scores. If you want something to stand out from the rest, you need to give it a position!
• At the end of voting, a mod's score will be averaged. This score will then be added to the technical score to determine the winner.
Voting will end on Sunday, July 31st 11:59PM EDT. This gives two weeks from the end of the submission period to play the entries and submit your vote via a post on this thread. The results of the contest should be posted shortly after the voting period is over.

In addition, please try to play and complete all mods, if possible. In spite of that, if you have a justifiable reason for not playing a specific or multiple mods, you are still allowed to vote. There are a lot of mods to sift through this time around, so if you were able to experience a mod by other means, your vote will still be valid.
There are five prizes in total, with the person placing highest having first dibs on which prize they want (second place gets second dibs, so on and so forth). This is what the winners will have to choose from:

• $50 via PayPal or a gift card of your choice.
• $25 via PayPal, courtesy of @Bombchu Link.
Five Steam games from this list, courtesy of @Polar✪.
Five Steam games from this list, courtesy of @X-Calibar.
• Cameo appearance in Rave Story 2, courtesy of @Polar✪.

If there is anything at all that I forgot to mention or clarify, please let me know! There's been a lot to keep track of for this contest, so I may have accidentally missed something. Also, this post will be continually edited to further tidy the content and update the status of the contest.
Edit by DT: I've taken all these as listed and stuck them in a single zip file, here. I may not bother to replace the files in it so make sure you watch out for updates.
Edit again by DT: Speaking of which I'm immediately authorising myself to make a change to my own mod because I COMPLETELY SKIPPED OVER AN ENTIRE CUTSCENE HAHAHA I'm screwed :droll:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I kinda didn't have time to add any info to my mod when I submitted it so I'm gonna make some notes here.

Firstly, BIG THANKS TO:
-The wondrous Wild Desu for helping design the main character and swoocing right in at the last minute to provide the facepics I needed
-My main man Thomas Zenixzinxiinxid for the leet hacks he provided
-Noxid for playtesting for me on very very short notice

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

-Everyone whose assets I chose to use (and also everyone whose assets I didn't use)

-The CSTSF community as a whole wooo yeah

-When I submitted this just before 2pm I hadn't slept since 9am the day before (yesterday, for now; I've had a nap since)
-I was so close on time I was doing things like filling in the <FAC's as Dasu made them during the last half hour
-I had time to work a bit on most sprites, but if something looks like it was made in a couple of minutes (like the title screen) it's probably because it was
-As of this post I literally still have not played through this from the beginning on my own; if everything works that must be some sort of record :koron:
-Like many of you I've had to cut content, including an original(ly transcribed) org, a more extended end section and a few more graphical updates

While I'm here I'd also like to add another comment about voting. There's been more than a little drama as a result of this tournament already, and with a whole load of opinions about to be dumped into this thread I don't want to see any more of it. If you don't like something then don't harp on about it, every mod is basically done and dusted now anyway so there's little to prove. This also extends to the voting; be tolerant of how others want to rank their things, but also be open to discussion about differing points of view. Everyone seems to be riding the hype now that all the submissions are in; let's keep it that way :D

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:11 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
We've already discussed about that actually, that's not really a fair rule because it means mod makers are basically punishing their own score by voting, and if mod makers don't vote then we'll be stuck with a whopping five scores or something :v The only way that would balance out if every entrant voted and all the nulls were cancelled. I think we can trust people to be honest about where they think their mod deserves to place. Or how about a smaller limitation, e.g. someone can't put their own mod in the top 4 or 5?

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:45 PM
Professional Whatever
I think giving the entrants full reign on their votes should be fine, even if one or two unfairly put their mod on a pedestal the rest of the votes from other voters will probably put them in their place easily enough.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:46 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
so I guess we can use this thread to post reviews/in-depth feedback on the mods too ya? I plan to at least give a blurb for each of em' although there's way more than I expected (good!!) so I will have to do it in chunks.

and I guess now that I have time to breathe I can give a little more insight on my own entry too.
spoilers ahead although I think everyone knows what I dun by now
So, I wasn't actually considering participating until I heard there was a prize >.> but I decided to give it a shot and see what I could come up with even though I haven't modded in ages. I spent a few days thinking "What can I do that's never been seen in a cave story mod before. Something so crazy that nobody would have even thought it possible". And I'd also been playing some dungeon crawlers lately like Legends of Grimrock so I figured if I could pull off the first-person view then the rest should fall into place.

So, I achieved my proof-of-concept for that on June 13 and have been mostly ironing out the details since. As the filename implies I have 11 separate builds chronicling its progress but I doubt anyone really cares enough to play each one.
Overall I think it turned out pretty good as a framework but as usual I ran out of time to plug content into it & stuff. The first 2 floors are pretty solid IMO but then it quickly falls apart as I made the last floor in ~24h and didn't test it hardly at all.
Things that were envisioned but never realized:
- inventory management! (T0X1C's original special skill was extra carrying capacity)
- more items that you could pick up and drop wherever you wanted
- the ability to use inventory HP recovery items
- a "final boss" fight or platforming level. something cool.
- more encounters for each floor
- I wanted to have The Ping give hints on puzzles
- and further I wanted to give each character different responses to things, but writing is hard. At least they each have a different ending dialogue.
- a use for CHIPZ
- some way to level up

addendum: I have a version of my entry without encounters on the 3rd floor. Play that if you prefer or are having trouble but maybe dont count it towards the competition?? idk
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42853625/Temp/DungeonStory_b11a.zip

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2016 at 8:15 PM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Killjoy is kind of a mess. Like some other entries, I had to cut a LOT of content to make the deadline. These include:
-A second level
-More weapons
-All original assets
-Bosses (I ALMOST got this to work)
-Orgs not made by Safu (although thank you)
-A neat concept i stole from kirby air ride, in which there's a random chance to find a 'weapon part' in each chest, finding 3 of these will unlock a super-powerful weapon that only lasts 4-5 rooms
-the machine gun was supposed to be a shotgun lmao
-A double-jump mechanic that involved jane's wings
-a chest system that isn't fucking broken
-characters?????

All in all, if i started this WAY earlier and was a lot more careful with it, this mod would have come out a lot better. Honestly though, I'm just happy it works, as this was a nightmare to code. TSC is a fickle mistress, and she doesn't like it when you try to throw RNG into the mix.
Funnily enough, the TSC for each level is almost EXACTLY the same. I had to set up a system in which each room had an equal chance to be the next one, except for the one you're on. This involved a lot of level design, and a lot of copy/pasting with tiny edits. If i didn't spend so much time being dumb and getting the script to work, maybe you would see a few more custom assets.
I haven't given up on this mod, though. Like I said before (about 4 times now), I plan on making an upgraded version of killjoy, with everything I've listed above and more. If you like what this mod brought to the table, but didn't like the execution, keep an eye out for SUPER Killjoy.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2016 at 9:55 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I thought that I might as well finish my notes for each mod before getting to actual voting for the sake of completion.

Links to my other posts:
Part 1
Part 2

It has also came to attention that Miccs' mod, Metronari, expects you to backtrack to the very beginning of the mod with the jetpack to get something mandatory to progress. This is the opposite of okay.

p218216-0-mvtwdxw.png

I like the title screen, though it probably could've used some new music to go along with it.

man your cat is small

p218216-1-s3ixzdf.png

not sure how to feel about these branches acting like faulty slopes

p218216-2-lcardpy.png

this set of stairs works just fine...

p218216-3-0ywdlnz.png

... whereas this one can't be climbed normally

p218216-4-mhuqqu1.png

right after this message box is a TSC error

I think that cat was supposed to give me something, but didn't thanks to that error.

looks like i'm stuck
A pretty short mod, though I think it's the first one to take place in an environment such as this one. I can't say it was too terribly enjoyable, though. It was kind of short, and that TSC error I ran into kept me from beating the mod.

you left window.rect in the mod folder

you left a lot of other (probably) unneccessary stuff in the mod folder

that title screen was different i guess, though what was the point of it?

p218216-5-rlmxrbd.png

starting in start point
nice meme

p218216-6-ojtz8bm.png

triggered

p218216-7-kk6x1ls.png

this is pretty neat, but god almighty does it have bad controls

p218216-8-op99rxj.png

1. why
2. these laser attacks have absolutely no telegraphing

p218216-9-nszxhoc.png

there wasn't
a single
checkpoint???

why does this thing's power star last so much longer than mine

and now you try to tug on our heart strings to squeeze a few more points out of us

not being able to skip the title screen stuff is kind of annoying

p218216-10-pcuitv3.png

kind of hard to capture it in a screenshot, but you run faster than the screen can scroll

p218216-11-udynzdv.png

why is my health still so low

p218216-12-scsnfmx.png

why did it skip to phase two right away

p218216-13-wfy2vun.png

i've been shooting these with level 2/3 spur shots for at least 30 seconds now
why won't they die/break

ok one finally broke
and i died
too much hp
Okay, so it's a mod with cool ASM. That's, uh, quite literally all there is to it. There's no story, no build-up, and barely any challenge up until the final boss. You just run through a tunnel and then fight an ASM-packed critter in a very hard-to-control zero gravity environment that came out of nowhere (???). I decided to ignore the tiling since I didn't have the patience to look for it while powered up with a star, but you did have a few TSC errors that are worth mentioning. The first is that the first phase of the boss is skipped even after you redo the game from the title screen. The second is that restarting the game after beating it doesn't refill your HP; as you could see, I was still around 50HP when I made it to the boss again.

p218216-14-ppti80n.png

ohmygod, chrono trigger cat

when you talk with the cat, there's the sound of text appearing before the message box shows up

holy butts this is hard

like, unfair levels of hard

ok i give up
Like your other mods, it immediately throws you into a short run-and-gun mod filled with custom tiles, sprites, and guns. However, this one wasn't nearly as enjoyable as those mods for one reason: the gun was tied to a cat. It was cool how pressing Fire caused the cat to explode with high-damage fiery projectiles, but it was also very, very hard to control. Since the cat had Curly's AI, it would never truely stand by my side or attack what I needed to attack. It also didn't help that you only have five hits before dying and additional hearts are nigh impossible to run across. Ultimately, I think this would have been better if you had playtested it more.

didn't need to include the safutunes folder

the wait between opening the game and the title screen finally showing up is too long
i know it's the same length as always, but it's just a black screen

p218216-15-0u0wk1l.png

this room was kind of unfair tbh

p218216-16-kuxg0ax.png

opened the chest
sound of text appearing played
nothing came out
???

p218216-17-jyp4coo.png

same with this one

p218216-18-466pkp0.png

i went through the door on the right, and popped out here
pointing this out since that door was missing a <KEY

p218216-19-dqjhhjb.png

oh

yeah uh, sometimes the mod just spawns a critter next to you when you enter a room
unfair damage to be h

p218216-20-ibklmzv.png

you have essentially given me an infinite Booster that does damage

p218216-21-yeoyaqr.png

and i just used it to fly out of the mod
Sure enough, the mod doesn't randomly generate maps, but instead randomly draws from a pool of rooms excluding a few doors like the one that leads to the POLAR room. It was an enjoyable timewaster, though I have a few problems with it. The first is that the starting pistol is a little too strong; it has effectively infinite range and has ridiculous DPS at level 3. The second is that you missed a few H/V triggers, like the one in the ending room where I flew out of the map with the Machine Gun.

oh boy, what an original concept implied by the title

p218216-22-qbvqcgw.png

aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

p218216-23-pqokicu.png

you tried/10

p218216-24-gwualnw.png

jesus christ what is this tiling

so this is all a boring, overly difficult jumping course using weird water current physics in what is basically First Cave
ok

you didn't even change the map name like what the heck

>messing up a single time boots you back to the beginning
ahhahaha no i'm done
Given the title of the mod and the lack of a custom intro cutscene, I wasn't expecting much. As it turns out, I was correct. It was just another "challenge" mod, which isn't unique or creative enough for the mod's guidelines in my opinion. The tiling feels rushed, there weren't enough break points/saves in between rooms from what little I played, and it takes place in First Cave.

pretty sure notepad doesn't support greek characters, so oops

p218216-25-1c3nrtc.png

this sign keeps refreshing the message when i stand in front of it
that save function is also probably a good way to softlock yourself

p218216-26-y3dvlgb.png

i really like the tiling of your caverns

p218216-27-vhhw0la.png

whoa, a mod that finally makes these things solid
nice

p218216-28-uf1cce7.png

why is there such a long pause between the previous map and this one

i died and restarted immediately at the start of the map where i saved
however, the music hasn't triggered again

p218216-29-wl9omh8.png

but what if i do

i know i shouldn't be here yet
but like
these things have way too much health even though i have a level 3 snake

also forgot to mention that critters being upside down is pretty neat

192 health on the white ghost things
w h y

p218216-30-qqjfive.png

too difficult my foot
gimme that +4 hp

p218216-31-567g0mt.png

nice, have just enough health to get back through that wall of ghosts

only there's nothing to do here
epic

p218216-32-n7a3fdx.png

those things blend in WAY too well

sometimes i run into invisible walls for no reason
usually near people with dialogue or screen transitions

ok what the actual fuck was that boss after getting the upside-down Fireball

this is getting kind of dumb

ah yes, you just balanced the grasstown-esque area around the weapon
i don't really like it when people make your other guns obsolete like that, but whatever

p218216-33-5meqrmu.png

bad slope

p218216-34-kbjalos.png

oh
so it's literally grasstown

these purple things have ENTIRELY too much health

and wow this Sharp Shooter is ENTIRELY too overpowered at level 2/3

p218216-35-iftovzx.png

getting an exp chip/arrow stuck in here makes a really annoying sound until it despawns

p218216-36-w859mit.png

that's a pretty lazy way to guide the player tbh

how could this laser machine gun be any more OP than the Sharp Shooter

p218216-37-4ouzpyx.png

oh, it's this meme again

p218216-38-qfewbj2.png

well that's an odd background

p218216-39-sovw1tn.png

what
the actual
fuck

ok sure
just use -10 spikes when i only have 24 max hp and no life pot

this is ACTUALLY bullshit

you were doing so well

yeah no fuck this
I'm not sure what to make of this, really. It would have been perfect as a standalone mod, but I don't think it fits too well in this contest. It doesn't really have very many unique things about it, you know? I think the only thing that qualifies would be the upside-down critters and whatever the heck that green block mimic was; everything else was just Cave Story-esque gameplay with no story to back it up. Your level design was really nice (up until a certain point); it looked like how a rugged cavern should look. Your balancing, however, needed a little work. The Fire Spit was a decent gun. The llaberiF was starting to push the boundaries; it may have been harder to use, but its DPS was insane when you got the fireballs to stay on the target. The Sharp Shooter was grossly overpowered; at level 1 it may have been hot garbage, but levels 2 and 3 both utterly decimate anything they touch. I would only assume that the Laser Cannon would have been even more overpowered, but I never got the chance to use it. Why? Well, the final level, or what I assume is the final level, took a nosedive into horrible design. I'm not talking about tiling issues, but rather shoveling in fake difficulty with spikes LITERALLY everywhere. With the life capsule you get a little ways into the map, you have a maximum of 32 life. Strewn throughout the corridor are -4 spikes (which are relatively okay), -10 spikes (which are significantly less okay), and -127 spikes (almost as bad as the -10 spikes). One of my main problems with the -10 spikes, aside from them doing nearly 1/3rd of my life in a single touch, is that they're only a couple shades darker than the -4 spikes, which is hard to notice when the screen is shaking and you're boosting by them with what is essentially the Booster v2.0. You were doing so well, yet you dropped the ball so hard at the end.

p218216-40-g2o9uuh.png

you tried/10
the off-shade black in the Begin/Continue part is a little off-putting, and the title itself is a little MSpaint-y
not to mention you included Studio Pixel and the version number

p218216-41-broksjf.png

wait, how was i supposed to know i had to go here
there wasn't any kind of visual cue

p218216-42-sajw0eu.png

hurrah for potential sequence breaking
also this door makes a door-opening sound despite not having an actual door

p218216-43-kb0ugfr.png

dunc is gonna kill you when he gets here

p218216-44-phmi5np.png

what, there isn't even an option to go back?
or text saying i can't?

p218216-45-d2fncm6.png

help
bats

thanks for the no save after that slightly tricky jump :v

p218216-46-aj7b4eg.png

i certainly hope you weren't expecting the player to grind up to level 3 for this
that took a while to do

p218216-47-s0zzcls.png

hwat

p218216-48-aonzviy.png

facepic flickered before "The"

p218216-49-nepfcwx.png

it did it again

p218216-50-3fd4y7v.png

and again

p218216-51-spbma7d.png

and again...

p218216-52-bnbf4sj.png

not sure how i feel about everything being so flat

p218216-53-2eyyx0z.png

holy negative space batman

p218216-54-0jbqxma.png

either i'm doing something wrong, or this jump is way too precise

this is literally impossible

wow, it only took like fifty tries

>fall
>have to start over
ahahahahahaaaaaa this is horrible

p218216-55-zo0gjqv.png

there's a reason why you don't see pixel overlap blocks ever
this is why

p218216-56-fabjrkb.png

just
why
using these blocks isn't hard

p218216-57-6hx9cmz.png

usually isn't a good idea to let the player go behind the HUD like this, but whatever

this entire press section is cancer

p218216-58-vkhorcg.png

i really wish YOU would lay off the cheap wine

p218216-59-t9t8u1r.png

ok
that's better

time to use tinypic because imgur is being an ass

p218216-60-5x4a3k.png

oh, so this is a showcase of mods from the past

p218216-61-2z3q9u8.png

been saying this a lot, but more than 4 lines of text in a message box is not okay

p218216-62-wsprt1.png

been pretty lenient so far, but the flatness is starting to wear on me

p218216-63-5fry2x.png

oh boy
death spike floor
my favorite

oh, so it's Misery + The Twins

what the fuck
not-Misery teleported away when i did enough damage, so i started to fight the Twins
then a random block falls out of nowhere, summoned by Misery, and hits me for 10 damage

yeah uh
the boss you're supposed to fight/kill, not-Misery, can warp into the walls at will

p218216-64-1zlgfpc.png

"imagiantion" should be "imagination"

p218216-65-2edv95l.png

aaaaa you tease
That was a pretty decent mod. Similar to So You Have, I think this fits less into the mod contest and more as a standalone mod. I don't think I really saw any unique gimmicks unlike some of the other mods. It was just... average, I guess? The story was alright, though the pauses in the text felt like they overstayed their welcome after a while. I'm not a fan of everything starting off scaled up in damage, when the same could be accomplished with smaller numbers, though I guess then the orb weapon would be a lot stronger due to it doing 1 damage per tick/frame/whatever. The tiling was pretty subpar; the first cave or two were acceptable, but everything afterwards took a bit of a nosedive. Aside from what I already said about the boss fight at the end, I think it would have benefitted from the dragons having custom sprites or at least recolors to match the surroundings more. Instead of being all bright and energetic, they could have been more purple and dark.

p218216-66-2cgerex.png

bruh

p218216-67-2keoty.png

b r u h

p218216-68-29vktcm.png

the different message box is nice and all, but it's hard to read white on tan

p218216-69-20tnr4h.png

execution chamber??

oh ok, i was able to walk off the edge and out of the map

p218216-70-xbai5d.png

could have probably used some slopes or something

p218216-71-6zsin7.png

oh, so the map is just unfinished
and can be accessed in the starting map
ok

p218216-72-9uqm4w.png

nice

p218216-73-219w5ya.png

should be "You found =Shuriken=!"

p218216-74-11ufdz7.png

but it's a shuriken, not a blade

p218216-75-2q3812w.png

oh right, i only have 3 hp

p218216-76-9an42h.png

or
yknow
just make an H/V trigger disallowing the player from progressing
also you need to grammar/spelling check your stuff

so level 3 makes the blade instantly pop on you
this is infinitely worse than level 2

p218216-77-2zia537.png

i'm starting to suspect that english isn't your first language

dying in one hit to literally everything isn't fun

it sounded like you messed up the <TSC between "save point" and "Temple"

p218216-78-2uicbpv.png

why

p218216-79-wiop46.png

I still only have 3hp
and I still only have the Blade
this is the anti-fun

okay, i think i've seen enough
This mod was pretty disappointing. The only good things about it were the custom tiles and those homing flame spawners. Everything else was less than good: there were unfinished maps, you spammed a ton of enemies when your only weapon is a severely nerfed Blade, you only give the player 3 HP, and those homing flame spawners can practically fill the screen with homing flames if you don't rush through the level as quickly as possible. Oh, and the spelling/grammar leave something to be desired.

Will be continued in another post since I'm close to the 100 image limit.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2016 at 10:32 PM
War criminal
The Final Level actually could've been a longer mod if it weren't for the couple technical difficulties I've been having with my laptop for the past month.

Here's some stuff that could've been put in my mod, but couldn't due to the changed time restraints.
- The level was originally going to be much longer, I originally planned for there to be a dark room where you can only see yourself and the enemies in the room (no dirty tricks like hidden spikes or invisible fall pits). That whole idea had to be cut out.

- There were originally going to be Sand Crocs in the level, but they were scrapped.

- The Quick Man Beams were originally animated, but there was a problem with the animating in the long fall room, so I had to make them all one color per frame.

- Originally, the Arms Barrier and the Whimsical Star were going to be part of the Battle Outfit. I scrapped them due to problems I was having with the Weapon X.

- Now for a big surprise. The whole cutscene with Mitch originally wasn't going to have talks about "The Omnipotence". As you probably already know by now, I've put in several red herrings in the mod (Weapon X, the Yoku Blocks, etc.). The Omnipotence talk is one of those red herrings, it's an excuse really, to put in the "Join me, Judith" dialogue. Also, in response to Seasons' thoughts, referencing just TNO would've been too obvious.

- Also, if you saved in the ?????? room, I suggest saving that Profile.dat file. That IS an intended feature for a future mod involving Judith.

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:20 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Continuing off of my previous post...

p218220-0-25g6hs9.png

doesn't that violate the rule of not continuing something made before the contest for the contest

p218220-1-348n39w.png

box room is a box

p218220-2-16bdabo.png

why heterochromia
and why a pokeball shirt

you're usually supposed to capitalize every part of a map's name, like a title

2h5psva.png

different pixel sizes aaaaaa

p218220-4-57mu0.png

"isn't" should be "aren't"

p218220-5-2jayfl4.png

"i'm" should be capitalized
also how would you reach the surface if you're presumably on the island

p218220-6-2q9dved.png

"Humans" shouldn't be capitalized

the lack of any and all <FAI's and <FAO's is jarring

you really need to go back through your text and spell/grammar check it

p218220-7-15r0105.png

probably could have used a <WAI when knocking on the door

p218220-8-f4inbo.png

hello ms. not-sue

ok, what was the point of visiting the other houses
i learned nothing whatsoever

really though, <FAO and <FAI exist for a reason

p218220-9-2a6m97p.png

this probably isn't how this scenario would actually play out

p218220-10-2qtegys.png

p218220-11-sb6dzs.png

help
why am i molesting this little boy against my will

p218220-12-2edtbv7.png

because nuzzling strangers is wrong

p218220-13-2uhtqq1.png

oh, we're a girl
i literally couldn't tell
that makes this nuzzling thing even worse

p218220-14-2mgw76e.png

me too thanks

p218220-15-2n9gfts.png

why am i controlling someone other than myself

p218220-16-2n9x9n9.png

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

p218220-17-2q0vbpz.png

Out of Character much?

how haven't these mimiga been found yet
their cave is hidden by a mere pot

p218220-18-992wx3.png

comma shouldn't exist
also how does she know that mimiga exist

p218220-19-2cmolmq.png

this isn't something a sane person would say or believe

p218220-20-ff236b.png

wow, it was literally nothing
This mod felt like Spirit's RAVE BAR, but with a few more maps. It was literally just walking from Point A to Point B only to be forced to choose No. The only things that really stood out were the lack of transition and the nuzzling. <FAO and <FAI exist for a reason; they allow you to smoothly transition between maps, and not using them jarrs the player. The nuzzling thing felt like you were trying to be creepy for the sake of it; why even bother to try?

You left Profile.dat, window.rect, and .DS_Store in the mod folder

p218220-21-2djnfc7.png

why Studio Pixel

p218220-22-2gua49j.png

the comma after "here" shouldn't be there

p218220-23-35be3if.png

the heck is that

p218220-24-10opmvc.png

"thats" needs an apostrophe

also, white on light green is hard to read

p218220-25-euq32h.png

legit couldn't see this chest until i was standing right next to it

p218220-26-2dcbc4g.png

ahem
that's not a =Hand Gun=

nice rain

p218220-27-4q38ch.png

fam
that's not a knife

p218220-28-301kk84.png

why would a knife in your shed take you aback?

p218220-29-16219ux.png

AHEM

p218220-30-2guw6k1.png

you do know there's a type of chain that's broken at the bottom, right?

the doors don't animate or play the door opening sound

p218220-31-x6ln36.png

i legit couldn't tell that that was the background and not a wall

p218220-32-23mo6kz.png

ah yes
neon green death spikes
just what this mod needed

p218220-33-30bo0et.png

these columns could use a little variation in shape, tbh

p218220-34-30d9ukm.png

excuse me

oh ok
an igor fight with a whopping 6hp
that's fair

one punch and i go from 6hp (max) to 1hp
balanced

p218220-35-1zr1h5x.png

A H E M

p218220-36-2zrgbh0.png

bad slopes ahoy

the TSC upon leaving the Cave House is a little wonky since i hear the text sound in the transition

p218220-37-2vvm97n.png

you need more slopes fam
everything is super blocky

p218220-38-sdoitx.png

these don't link up so good

p218220-39-33mtvt2.png

two
unnecessary line breaks

p218220-40-10saxhy.png

you what

p218220-41-jaaplf.png

the chest didn't stay open, either
or play the chest opening sound

p218220-42-rmi98y.png

IT WOULD BE NICE IF I WAS BUMPED IN THE RIGHT WAY

i got bumped so many times that i fell out of the mod
nice

why does nearly every mod neglect to autoequip the booster

p218220-43-10o1d6t.png

welp

p218220-44-2pzz31f.png

i wasn't a huge fan of it tbh

p218220-45-2uyj0h1.png

unnecessary line break

p218220-46-2j47ew0.png

oh ok
It feels as though the main "gimmick" of this mod was being entirely GB green, which honestly isn't that great of a gimmick. It was often difficult to discern what was what, such as chests, background walls, or spikes. There were a few neglected details here and there along with what I believe is a TSC error. It's also a little silly how the Igor reskin was capable of doing more damage than the Red Ogre fight. Other than that, it was an okay mod, albeit rather short.

I think that's all. I'll wait a little while longer for everything to get cleared up before I start giving specific scores.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016 at 2:13 AM
thinks dogs are cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
heyo i'm gonna do some wacky ass shit and post my reviews in multiple posts because the CSTSF hates more than 100 images in one post for some reason
sooo
let's go

first up: Auto Pilot
--
AutoPilot
here we go
p218224-0-czpgdlr.png

why is it a .dat file

p218224-1-hegu86t.png

well at least the title screen looks neat

p218224-2-eb11v56.png

THIS ONLY MAKES ME WANT TO MORE

p218224-3-oorit6f.png

holy shit this is really cool

p218224-4-q3aj8ql.png

i see you, motherfucker

p218224-5-lhtyhi1.png

youshouldnthavetogethurttoprogressthatsbadleveldesign.jpg

p218224-6-gmsfxbn.png

this is insane

p218224-7-czi1fq6.png

hi blargo

p218224-8-tltiwzq.png

i like how the spikes killed him, what a loser

p218224-9-eh82eqh.png

the <NOD bar is there now
i'm assuming im supposed to press something now right

p218224-10-rqa8sru.png

okay listen

p218224-11-eb2hz3m.png

uh oh i'm pulling a zxin aren't i

p218224-12-jd2zd6u.png

I'M HERE MOTHERFUCKER

... oh
he sent me away :(

i didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in the cave place so idk where to split the timeline

p218224-13-b9j0m7r.png

i can't possibly pass this

oops i died
Death counter: 3

p218224-14-fl1gtcp.png

this part was really cool and i still hold my breath each time

i think i just have to interfere at the end of each level

p218224-15-ko6nd2b.png

ohhh that's why i didn't notice him before
you have to talk to him in the first level to get him to appear here
clever

p218224-16-0qxahgy.png

;)

p218224-17-qyzjtlw.png

'sup

p218224-18-kwefssb.png

:3c

p218224-19-sc8x3x5.png

are we geneforge now

p218224-20-mjxhtt9.png

are behemoths serviles now

p218224-21-6bsgxad.png

brb killing BBallos

p218224-22-i37qqbl.png

i like how that changed

phew, it autosaved

i guess i'll choose spur and bubbler?

p218224-23-097a5py.png

OH GOD MY WHIMSICAL STAR CRACKED THEM OPEN

oh i can't choose bubbler
oh whale

p218224-24-kpx1bgf.png

my...my arms?
can i ORA my way through BB

p218224-25-mktnffh.png

p218224-26-5bh9prr.png

holy fucking shit

i think i'll go with mobility this time and not firepower

i think my problem is actually using the spur and not another weapon
i'll use the machine gun this time

p218224-27-atmqxts.png

oh god

im bad at cave story but this is really fun

i think i'll go with bubbler this time

p218224-28-w7eqoov.png

i just realized he breaks a refill station when he enters
:joy: :gun:

HE WAS AT LIKE
0 HEALTH
THEN I FUCKING DIED?
THAT'S COOL
I WAS CLOSE TO BEATING HIM WITH A LEVEL 1 BUBBLER BUT WHATEVER, MAN!

fuck it, spur

1 HP
NARROWLY MISSED HEALTH STATION

p218224-29-vl0vkju.png

boi he boutta do it

p218224-30-nnrotp3.png

p218224-31-sw8aknx.png

AW SHIT

p218224-32-h6ribk8.png

can i skip the ballos fight please and thanks

p218224-33-czpyawz.png

OOPS

p218224-34-p80xmuf.png

now i know where balrog gets it from

p218224-35-ac7qjwl.png

yeahhhh
im sorry im just not at all good at fighting ballos, LOL

p218224-36-jrk9htg.png

omg there's basketballs coming down

p218224-37-xp5h7so.png

this is insane 2: electric boogaloo

okay closed DouTrainer

p218224-38-afzpuj8.png

glad to see White isn't changed

p218224-39-44o6xih.png

b-but i used mobility

p218224-40-oopxtbv.png

i mean, not really

p218224-41-qxnafza.png
AutoPilot is a neat game, I'll give it that.
It has a great concept ("Don't let go"s and its subverted form, "Don't press anything"s, are usually my favourite kind of games), which is extrapolated on well throughout the course of four maps, and has unique level design, despite the tiles being the same. (Doesn't actually matter, tile making is hard, but oh well)

The parts where you have to "take control" are always at the end of the level though, which kinda made it predictable. Scattering the Cthulhu Follower a bit more in between the levels would have made it more enjoyable to find him.

Once I "got off the beaten path" and activated the "Best End" route and fought the final boss, though, the mod kinda became stale actually got active, instead of not pressing anything, though since I'm bad at Cave Story I'm biased in not liking the final boss.

Anyway, the final boss was Ballos But Different (re: not different), and the ending felt not as good as it could have been. A simple text box saying "You did it!" shouldn't be given to me after beating a creature that destroyed an entire lab that was meant to be virtually indestructable.

If i had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10, it'd be a clear cut 7, mainly because the AutoPilot was fun, but the Pilot wasn't AS fun.

next up is CatFall
--

CatFall
here we go
p218224-42-jk55mlr.png

HMMMMM
p218224-43-torivak.png

H M M M M M

wait why was window.rect already in the folder
this is sad :(

p218224-44-rajsqic.png

why is it two dots :(

p218224-45-pwdxxnf.png

same

WHY WAS STUDIO PIXEL THERE TOO
AAAAAAAAAAAAA

p218224-46-iqkanfa.png

is this intentional lag

p218224-47-ucmvk56.png

WHAT IS THIS SAYING

p218224-48-8gzbrmg.png

?!

p218224-49-oexusr7.png

?!

p218224-50-ajai7fz.png

fire spam the game

p218224-51-kzsxltz.png

FIRE SPAM THE GAME

p218224-52-hmqxvfg.png

what does this say

i...i guess that's the end?

this music is fucking hurting my ears
p218224-53-vsdlm2i.png
CatFall isn't that great.

The player ship is kinda ehh, the background doesn't feel right, and the bullets are hard to distinguish from everything else that's going on.

Speaking of, there's no sound effects. It makes the game very hard to enjoy, seeing as infinite cats coming in from the right side in the final level and the not-very-well-done music hurting my ears aren't very enjoyable to begin with.

The concept is cool, though. Very Touhou-esque or something similar.

The story is ehhhh... I mean, saving Earth is cool and all, but there's no real rhyme or reason for it to be happening. Random invasion is cool and all, but it feels not-very-original.

All in all, I say on a scale of 1-10, CatFall places at a 2.

next up, Cave Story: Live and Uncut!
--
Cave Story - Live and Uncut!
here we go
p218224-54-fprza8n.png

good lord, man
pick up your shit

i'll run the not-60 fps first

also why was manual in here

p218224-55-okkzejn.png

DEAR LORD

p218224-56-j3r7xn6.png

why is studio pixel there
also nice original donut steel Quote oc

p218224-57-byqp2rz.png

lmao

p218224-58-hs3s9mj.png

im so immature for laughing at this but i can't help it

p218224-59-g8gaenm.png

p218224-60-nh5vajm.png

i can relate

p218224-61-xgzsnse.png

it's the healing sound

p218224-62-qfssu3b.png

random jappo

p218224-63-ee7rwah.png

:0

p218224-64-n9oxglr.png

Hey look, you got this Piece of shit gun=! *clap clap clap* good job

this mod is amazing

p218224-65-jfrxiel.png

same

even tho it's Cave Story but Different im enjoying myself

p218224-66-d5vxbjv.png

what the

p218224-67-yjcirng.png

what would pixel do

p218224-68-gcd7aoz.png

i can relate

p218224-69-vwuo1gn.png

dude, meta

p218224-70-qo2wuzy.png

it's... it's incomprehensible

p218224-71-8zeeou3.png

shut the fuck up oh my god

p218224-72-cwqqwdq.png

dear lord

p218224-73-zanufzl.png

=Brittle piece of shit Map System=!

p218224-74-zvqd9zr.png

=shitty fuckin' necklace=

p218224-75-logl58i.png

i can relate

p218224-76-4b178zf.png

wow thanks for being a bitch, toroko

p218224-77-zdm2xkl.png

Yes

balrog and co. are nice people

p218224-78-aqaxvvk.png

"go fuck yourself"
:thumbs-up:

p218224-79-dddu8ri.png

p218224-80-hgwhcny.png

im not gonna bother questioning it

p218224-81-dd4rfqe.png

wtch

p218224-82-3pc2gnn.png

wait where's sue

p218224-83-tm3jscl.png

he looks nothing like daddy cthulhu :(

this guy is fucking high

that death song is lit

p218224-84-hdfduo1.png

same

p218224-85-aiiwylw.png

these can all overlap and it's hilarious

p218224-86-ungbjeb.png

this is amazing

p218224-87-pbalyv1.png

ale... ale 8?
p218224-88-ku49sam.png

:/

p218224-89-2lhlhvd.png
(ow that audio hurt)

p218224-90-y7djzlx.png

WHY
Despite being Cave Story but Different, CS: Live and Uncut really pulls it through on the entertainment field.

The voice clips are great, and honestly it's probably the only reason why I played the mod to its end.

On an art scale, tho, everything is really bland, seeing as it's just Cave Story.

Again, the voice clips are pretty much the only redeeming factor.

I don't really have much to say on this because albeit being very enjoyable, it's just Cave Story.

If I had to rate it on a scale of 1-10, it'd be pretty high up there. Maybe like, an 8.

(more to come)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016 at 3:04 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
Hey um... I just wanted to fix the distracting noise in Egg Corridor in CTD, if that's allowed. It's only for player experience, not extra points. I don't think something like that will affect anything anyway.

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:05 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Hey um... I just wanted to fix the distracting noise in Egg Corridor in CTD, if that's allowed. It's only for player experience, not extra points. I don't think something like that will affect anything anyway.
If I can't add skipflags to the few message boxes that could use them, I'm pretty sure you can't do that.

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:12 AM
thinks dogs are cool
(continued)
Post 1
--​
time for critter tower defense
---
Critter Tower Defense
here we go
p218227-0-ia1vzus.png

?!

all these window.rects

p218227-1-zjiwdpn.png

p218227-2-by9rzqy.png

p218227-3-4sv9i9t.png

christ almighty

p218227-4-4lsxjvj.png

?!

p218227-5-ilcxoty.png

why even make this a thing

p218227-6-85m7qke.png

well this is a lot of the same tile

p218227-7-4fqpqgx.png

oh god

p218227-8-l0h2kgg.png

wowzers

fireballs are useless
p218227-9-sm7gjcj.png

LOOK AT THIS

p218227-10-dmdena1.png

holy fucking sh

this game requires me to think strategy
i like it

...until i got the spur towers
then everything is cheese

p218227-11-dvwod5x.png

christ

p218227-12-tpaz56i.png

christ x2

i've muted CS at this point and just started playing my own music

the spurs are overpowered x2

p218227-13-hfysscr.png

NOT OVERPOWERED ENOUGH NO--

p218227-14-mkkypvz.png

perfect

died on level 21
p218227-15-yxzoilw.png

not really

p218227-16-7bgbkak.png

anarchy

p218227-17-9n91j5g.png

god

p218227-18-zs5v7xd.png

oh boy

p218227-19-rfldwyr.png

why spikes

sometimes when i demolish towers i don't get money back
?!?!

p218227-20-sexkj9w.png

god almighty

okay here's what im gonna do
p218227-21-w9eeuih.png

im gonna play the bonus level now

this mod will be biased in that i haven't played the rest of the levels but i don't see the point, seeing as they're all the time

maybe i'll come back to this idk

p218227-22-bupkmrs.png

p218227-23-3qlinbr.png

p218227-24-gsstywy.png

already triggered

p218227-25-ha26ikc.png

this is insane

why do i only have 200 health
rainbow critters normally have more

p218227-26-uiuvfat.png

I CAN'T GET BACK UP

i had to reset
thanks

p218227-27-6cv1kq6.png

haha

p218227-28-0aymmza.png

THESE SPURS ARE IRRITATION INCARNATE

p218227-29-a3jmdzx.png

uh

p218227-30-rzbo4tg.png

you've got to be kidding me

okay im DONE THIS IS IT
p218227-31-aivrwoi.png
iDONTEVENLIKECAVESTORYWHYAMIPLAYINGMODSFORIT
Critter Tower Defense has a neat concept that struggles with difficulty, critter spam and balance issues.

To be fair, the map layouts seemed okay at a first glance, but once you progress in the mod (re: to the second level) the difficulty spikes up and suddenly you have a million critters attacking you while your guns don't do shit.
Toning down on critter spam and easing up on the difficulty would do wonders for this mod.

Speaking of critter spam, there's a ton of critters that show up after level 3, when you don't even have excellent weapons yet.
Plus, the diversity in said critter spam is nonexistent. The max amount of critter types I've seen in one level is four, and the max amount of critters I've seen in one level were too many to count. Probably around 40?
My point is, it's not very entertaining. At all.

What's also not entertaining is the fact that if you place down Spur towers everywhere you win the game. It's as easy as that.
Toning down the damage the Spur does, or maybe increasing its price, would be better than what it currently is.

Another note: the music is repetitive. I muted it as early as level 19, I think, and started to play my own music.
Changing the music once in a while will be 100% beneficial on every front, and will make the game more tolerable.

Inevitably, if I had to rate CTD on a scale of 1-10, it'd be around a 4, only because of the Rainbow Critter Bonus Level*.

*note: not entirely because of the Rainbow Critter Bonus Level

next we have CS: What To Do When Modding
--
CS: What To Do When Modding
here we go
p218227-32-lzpy3qh.png

oh gee

i couldn't see the intro screen text and also the last part cut off

p218227-33-g4n08e1.png

treacherous

i like the concept of showing people how to mod

p218227-34-j9dvesb.png

p218227-35-aat8ysm.png

h-hypocrite

p218227-36-sdurw7d.png

p218227-37-jfg0cxu.png

p218227-38-wyve58x.png

thanks

p218227-39-jzw2uez.png

i fell off the side of the map

p218227-40-rhrxuaf.png

good idea

p218227-41-occess6.png

Mod Advice- Stop pestering Polar about Rave Story 3. It's not funny.

p218227-42-syj0su7.png

>

p218227-43-osrhorl.png

lel random xD

p218227-44-rhh97xa.png

"Hi, can I steal this from you?"
"yeah sure"
p218227-45-g8wjg0h.png

?!

OH YOU BASTARD
THIS IS FROM THAT ONE MOD I MADE
SSR
LOL!

p218227-46-3ikj9qq.png

hi pummel

p218227-47-oh8xbwm.png

nice

p218227-48-suce0uh.png

it's Doukutsu, honey

i like this No Hate advice board
p218227-49-s5xxui4.png

p218227-50-0krzjad.png

p218227-51-zhy4vsa.png

thanks

p218227-52-zjx9kko.png

thanks x2

p218227-53-k4kltfo.png

p218227-54-ukouhbo.png

yare yare daze...
What To Do When Modding is... decent.

The advice was good, my cameo map was good,
the rest wasn't.

The level design could have been handled WAY better instead of repetitive 1-block-maps and the short-cuts in the First Cave were unnatural, unholy, and unpleasant to look at.

The music was Cave Story, and I wish it were a little more creative with the selection.

All in all, on a scale of 1-10, I rate it a 3.

here's dungeon stroy
--
H4CK3R STORY
here we go
p218227-55-2bfujc2.png

pinky and big brain

p218227-56-le0y0oo.png

hell yeah

WHICH CHARACTER DO I PICK
THEY'RE ALL SO--
p218227-57-4qvljuy.png

okay im picking will i don't even care

p218227-58-gfbfwyn.png

d...dorites?

p218227-59-nq8m6vb.png

these maps are really neat

p218227-60-kpu1ehm.png

i died to a sand croc :(

p218227-61-fysqtxq.png

w-what stairs

p218227-62-zu4vvh0.png

it's dat boi

"Never Shred Edible Wheat"
???

p218227-63-iu0thdb.png

oh boy

"So what's your twitter?"
p218227-64-d5dejjl.png

p218227-65-az830vu.png

is this like a 90s canadian brand of soda orr

p218227-66-jhroqxf.png

i'll always remember it as the hall of validation

p218227-67-y99xey9.png

WHAT ELEVATOR?!

p218227-68-egzm4tb.png

me

p218227-69-v07zmh7.png

the smallest divet

OH GOD BLARGO SCARED ME

p218227-70-q5ic4nk.png

whenever my parents talk about me

blargo is really annoying

p218227-71-6aoi2ge.png

you mean i have to explore more?
nooooo

p218227-72-8mcqcth.png

e...easy peasy

p218227-73-88zbhjj.png

welcome to the club

p218227-74-ku2lb0v.png

now he's just twitching in place
help

p218227-75-ssospwj.png

H E L P

p218227-76-2teut3z.png

heck yeah

p218227-77-px3ozg8.png

same

p218227-78-8hnhgoe.png

uh oh

p218227-79-khtpyyd.png

p218227-80-jetgu9x.png

p218227-81-ae54cgc.png

~fetch smackdown

>F 0 0 F

p218227-82-ardnspr.png
H4CK3R STORY (or Dungeon Story) is a great mod.

The music fits the retro 2002 atmosphere well (except for the blaringly loud bit at the end) and doesn't get excruciatingly annoying as time goes on.

The gameplay is innovative, and I've never seen it be done before in a Cave Story mod.

The characters all look unique and loveable (especially Will-- er, "The Ping" <3) and have interesting gameplay styles.

The only things that bug me is that "1337" mode is the standard mode and the ending was not satisfying.

Otherwise, I'd rate it a solid 9/10.

(more to come)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016 at 3:30 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
you tried/10
the off-shade black in the Begin/Continue part is a little off-putting, and the title itself is a little MSpaint-y
not to mention you included Studio Pixel and the version number
I explained things like this in my first post in this thread, I literally made that with about 10 minutes left

i certainly hope you weren't expecting the player to grind up to level 3 for this
that took a while to do
No, you don't have to at all

facepic flickered before "The"
Again, I unfortunately had to put these in without playtesting. Also I forgot you need to zero out faces with <FAC0000. At least it doesn't look as though I put the wrong expressions in anywhere :droll:

either i'm doing something wrong, or this jump is way too precise
Alright uhh reading back through Discord, I kind of had this problem where vertical boost was a lot more easy to get distance with than horizontal boost and so that's what you're supposed to do here, I didn't even know this was makable by boosting left. I actually redid it a couple of times because it was so easy.

what the fuck
not-Misery teleported away when i did enough damage, so i started to fight the Twins
then a random block falls out of nowhere, summoned by Misery, and hits me for 10 damage
Yeah this fight's kind of a mess, I had zero time to try to fix the warping or change some of the sprites. The Twins have effectively infinite health but I decided to keep them shootable so you can still cancel their attack.

Also yes I do intend to continue this story at some point

I don't think I really saw any unique gimmicks unlike some of the other mods.
The entire thing is built around a miniboost mechanic (I don't remember seeing this as such before, it's not quite the same thing as a double jump) with a piercing weapon, I mean no I didn't turn the game into a completely different genre but it's not nothing.
Does the purple in these screenshots look way more vivid than the tileset in the actual game or is that just me? I noticed Windows image viewer doing it but I have no idea how my system could be changing uploaded screenshots.

addendum: I have a version of my entry without encounters on the 3rd floor. Play that if you prefer or are having trouble but maybe dont count it towards the competition?? idk
No it doesn't, people can still play this ofc but please make sure to only consider the version available in the thread when voting.

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:34 AM
thinks dogs are cool
(continued)
Post 1
Post 2
--​
next up is uhh
---

FS_PF
here we go
p218229-0-u7npq7l.png

are they walking backwards

p218229-1-uyfm7cf.png

*you're

p218229-2-ukli5gw.png

the title screen doesn't look okay

p218229-3-pyckb65.png

TEH HETEROCHROMIAS!!! xDD
also christ that facepic is uhhhhhhh

when you press down the sprite ever so slightly shifts a pixel to the left
fix it

p218229-4-n5liplt.png

unnecessary slopes

p218229-5-devqxgv.png

unnecessary ladder

p218229-6-4c49xmk.png

1. the checkerboard wallpaper doesn't match the rest of the house
2. neither do the appliances
3. WHAT IS THAT CRATE DOING THERE

p218229-7-kyhgjxn.png

grow the h*ck up

p218229-8-iw4kh9x.png

1. Mom?
2. that i'm should be I'm
3. if the surface is a place it should be the Surface; otherwise ignore me

p218229-9-xcijq5l.png
p218229-10-fyoyqah.png

1. what's on her ear
2. should be Alright, sweetie...

p218229-11-kayapxj.png

lyra's house is a mess

p218229-12-v6lcyyh.png

should be "Good morning, Pierce."

p218229-13-lf2jmct.png

that's what I'M sayin'! kids these days...

p218229-14-5sebs3y.png

this should be I'll, not i'll

p218229-15-hc0ec7n.png

should be "Well, don't go too far out."

p218229-16-dohq9ln.png

hi sue

p218229-17-9gidj08.png

1. should be Morning, Pierce!
2. hi sue

p218229-18-7g5pjjx.png

should be Good morning, River!

p218229-19-o9emdnu.png

should be I can't play right now, Pierce.

all these commas missing... that's the REAL mystery

pierce finally remembers how to knock when he tries talking to vinny
smh

p218229-20-shksxkw.png

this little animation here is really janky

p218229-21-69okko7.png

bad

p218229-22-02imvbz.png

should be <MSGI shouldn't go into that part of the forest.<NOD<CLRIt's dangerous there.<NOD<CLR<END

p218229-23-qwjrevn.png

1. KRISTY TOLD YOU TO AVOID HUMANS, PIERCE
2. that facepic is uhhhhhhhhh
3. I'M MAD

p218229-24-66yaw3w.png

>

p218229-25-rmtwvdf.png

what kind of name is kite

p218229-26-qxjx00r.png

this is what is going to get your species exterminated

p218229-27-yha6icm.png

SUDDEN FACEPIC CHANGE
NOT OKAY

p218229-28-vusp0su.png

I'D BACK AWAY TOO, SMH
HE AIN'T GOOD FOR YOU RUN TF AWAY

p218229-29-qzrcjwr.png

OH GOD

p218229-30-klnwogd.png

p218229-31-idzgs2k.png

SAME TBH

p218229-32-b5ceoii.png

the worst

p218229-33-uydlmpm.png

i thought Pierce was a guy...?

p218229-34-utc8reu.png

"may have"??!?!?!?!
what brought you to this conclusion, pierce
you didn't extrapolate at all in between point A and point B so why did this suddenly come to you as easy as that

p218229-35-aqdn1r5.png

should be It's, not Its
ultimate tsundere

p218229-36-rpsbdb1.png

HELL NO

p218229-37-j7pfcsy.png

th-thanks

p218229-38-3z17xrk.png

why is he happy in this one

p218229-39-uklpxyf.png

1. should be Jesus Christ
2. where's he learn such language
3. CLAM DOWN
4. shouldn't you be clamming down, pierce
what a hypocrit

p218229-40-8n7iuiq.png

what a fake ass bitch

p218229-41-v8fsxdx.png

it's *Sniffle*

p218229-42-ylmj51l.png

i swear pierce is a he

p218229-43-sevbbmx.png

should be What happened?

p218229-44-gzmiu5d.png

uHM,,,,, LIEK,,,,,,, pIERCE WAS HURT BY A HUMAN?????????

p218229-45-tkd6cah.png

i SWEAR

p218229-46-y4dfnfy.png

is lyra ryuuoutan now

p218229-47-gmxkxzs.png

should be "If they find us, they'll kill all of us."

p218229-48-qr2wc1a.png

should be happened

p218229-49-75ww6sk.png

this bitch just bailed on somethin she just said she'd do
smh

p218229-50-kcjwbho.png

humans really aren't your strong suit, huh

p218229-51-4ewzhto.png

should be "I swear, if you're lying to me..."

p218229-52-ywwqjfi.png

1. should be (Kite obviously saw a Mimiga...)
2. wtf is that expression

p218229-53-5icbqee.png

1. MY PARENTS ARE DEAD
2. should be Mom and Dad

p218229-54-pgvnljb.png

should be I'm not going to let them take you, too!

p218229-55-nukbhte.png

don't walk away from me bitch

p218229-56-vfs9fkr.png

edgy

p218229-57-eonyx9k.png

should be Stay here, Kite.

p218229-58-w8omqno.png

this looks decent

p218229-59-hkoagte.png
This is a...
Well, it's not great, but it's passable.

The two main things you have to remember in a no-combat game is that graphics and dialogue are everything.
Unfortunately, those two components are severely lacking, thus making the game somewhat unbearable, in a way.

One: The facepics scared me. I mean, we all have a starting point, and this is as good a starting point as any, but the facepics just didn't cut it for me. They were bad, to say the least, but that doesn't mean you can't learn from it.

Two: The dialogue was laughable. There was a lot of commas missing, the story didn't really make sense, and the genders of certain people were confusing. However, there's potential here, and as long as there's no more senseless, lewd nuzzling in the future (they're kids, for Christ's sake), it could turn out to be a good mod.

Another thing that turned me off was that the tiles didn't match at all in some places and was Cave Story in every other place. Fixing these issues would help a lot.

Eventually, I'd have to rate it a solid 2/10.

what's next
oh dumb safu mod
--

hey
here we go
the intro is lightning

p218229-60-fayoxwb.png

same

p218229-61-8httzvv.png

this tree looks so out of place when next to these mountain blocks

p218229-62-zapvoqv.png

best mod 10/10

hey
hey
hey

what the fuck is this cat

p218229-63-nixhrw9.png

wh

i like how the cat is a fucking menace

p218229-64-166yrwk.png

this pidgeon turns into a bug sometimes

that death screen was killer

p218229-65-oxg1imx.png

i keep falling off the mountain things
help

the cat gun thing is not reliable at all how do i use this

p218229-66-pds1xz9.png

safu nooooo

interacting with the cat makes a text sound, waits a second, then replays Meow! Meow! I'm a cat! Hello! I'm a cat! hey hey hey

p218229-67-mwnhp2c.png

p218229-68-j38fuff.png

ohhhh
tho tbh i shouldn't need a cat to tell me what another cat does :/

i can glitch out the cat orbs via alt tabbing so they stay with me infinitely
10/10

p218229-69-q0uezco.png

this is still really cool

p218229-70-b4nvjbl.png

THESE BLADE GAUDIS ARE REALLY ANNOYING

p218229-71-dyz7xn1.png

shh
can you hear it
the sound of fake blocks holding hearts

I KEEP FALLING
GOD

p218229-72-skgbc8k.png

you can't seriously think this looks okay

p218229-73-kfemq4o.png

?!?!?!?!?

p218229-74-4qx2692.png

?!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!
i can fire here?!?!?!

i... i guess i finished it?

p218229-75-innsv8x.png
(idk what to put for the credit image so here's this)

p218229-76-zk6ydim.png

n...nevermind

p218229-77-59ixzcc.png

1. i never knew this existed
2. what

p218229-78-r1uf3oa.png

I JUST WANTED TO REFILL MY HEALTH

p218229-79-c8f8mds.png

using the save point does this
!?!?!

p218229-80-acqcwvj.png
(WE'RE DONE HERE)
"hey cat" would be a great game, were it not for the glaring errors and difficulty spikes that impeaded on it.

The sprites and tiles were very detailed, as is customary of a safu mod, but the tiles sometimes didn't blend well together (or at all) and the sprites were somewhat unfinished, specifically the parrot thing.

The cat gun thing was fun to use but confusing to control, and at the beginning you wouldn't even know how to use it without asking someone who did (or testing it). A small little tutorial thing would have been nice.

The music was spectacular, as is also customary of a safu mod.

But the enemies were kinda... ehhh.
The blade gaudis were really annoying to deal with, as were the soleils and the parrots.
Basically, everything was kinda annoying.

Also, there wasn't any story. At all.
I know it's not a strong suit of most people, but it could've helped this mod out a lot.

Baaasssiicccaaalllyyy, I'd rate this mod around a 6/10, if only because of the cat.

time for killjoy
--

KILLJOY
here we go
p218229-81-184qamv.png

edgy

p218229-82-fti32zz.png

nice

also i'm enjoying this so far

very kirby esque also i died

died again! lol

p218229-83-ap4kdnz.png

the music stopped?

p218229-84-kp7indg.png

GOD
I WAS ENJOYING MYSELF, TOO

WHAT A

KILLJOY

hAHHAHAHA

p218229-85-d42rln4.png
KILLJOY is a neat little roguelike that has good kirby vibes and nice music.

A few things that bothered me though was the title screen, and the sprites/tiles.

The title screen felt unnecessarily edgy. Almost border-line A.4, and that's an achievement in itself.
Maybe try toning it down a little, so it doesn't look as weird as it does right now (circa July 15th, 2016)

The enemies also blended in with the tiles, making it hard to see them.
Enemies as in, the normal sized critters.
It's hard to kill things when you can't see them, and all that.

Anyway, it's a good mod. Around a 5/10, in my opinion.

(more to come)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2016 at 3:58 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Today there were two mod updates, so please redownload if you have an earlier version:
DoubleThink's Precious Thoughts (updated earlier today, as you may have already noticed)
thomasco2013's Lara (updated as this post was made)
Check the original post for the updated links.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:04 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Oh jeez, time to clear things up.

I explained things like this in my first post in this thread, I literally made that with about 10 minutes left
I kinda ignored that post and went straight into the mod since I had a huge list of mods to review. Sorry about that.

No, you don't have to at all
I didn't mean to imply that it was mandatory to grind up to Level 3. I was just hoping that you didn't want the player to have that much DPS since it took a while for me to optionally grind up to Level 3.

Again, I unfortunately had to put these in without playtesting. Also I forgot you need to zero out faces with <FAC0000. At least it doesn't look as though I put the wrong expressions in anywhere :droll:
Eh, the more you know. By the way, the facepics were pretty nice, though I think not-Misery or Opal could've used at least one or two of their own.

Alright uhh reading back through Discord, I kind of had this problem where vertical boost was a lot more easy to get distance with than horizontal boost and so that's what you're supposed to do here, I didn't even know this was makable by boosting left. I actually redid it a couple of times because it was so easy.
See, I was trying to do it with the vertical boost after seeing how useless the horizontal boost was, but I was doing it too late. I actually had to do it a lot earlier than I thought I needed to.

Yeah this fight's kind of a mess, I had zero time to try to fix the warping or change some of the sprites. The Twins have effectively infinite health but I decided to keep them shootable so you can still cancel their attack.
Good thing I didn't try to focus on killing the Twins then :muscledoc:. I spent a few minutes fighting the Twins before getting low on health, which is when I decided to shift my fire back onto not-Misery.

Also yes I do intend to continue this story at some point
ayy

The entire thing is built around a miniboost mechanic (I don't remember seeing this as such before, it's not quite the same thing as a double jump) with a piercing weapon, I mean no I didn't turn the game into a completely different genre but it's not nothing.
Now here's the main reason why I wanted to reply. I'm sorry for implying that your mod lacked anything unique at all. That was wrong. Making a Booster that essentially gives you an air dash and designing obstacles around that air dash is pretty neat. The piercing gun is less a gimmick and more a nifty gun hack, though.