CS:PSP Mods, maybe?

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
ShySpy said:
Andwhyisit, you deserve a statue :o

However, I'm having problems editing the maps' names. I've opened maps.dat with Wordpad and the text is very messy (maybe Wordpad isn't the best choice, but uh, I'm not very experienced in romhacking and similar works). I've tried editing Start Point, First Cave, Hermit Gunsmith and Mimiga Village and here's the results:
- Start Point as Punto de Inicio. The name doesn't even appear when you enter the map.
- First Cave as Primera Cueva. The first letter (P) doesn't show.
- Hermit Gunsmith as Artesano Ermitaño, though I've put Artesano Ermitano to avoid font problems until I can solve it. Like Punto de Inicio, it doesn't even appear.
- Mimiga Village as Pueblo Mimiga. It appears correctly.

Is there a better way to edit maps.dat?
If you were editing it in wordpad then you are changing the length of the file, which isn't a good idea (plus wordpad isn't exactly binary safe). You need to use a hex editor such as XVI32 to edit the file instead. Ask someone here if you want more info.

ShySpy said:
And, about the font... It works very different than the Windows version, right? As I've seen, the original PC version uses a font from the PC (Courier New) and it has ALL characters, so there's no problem with translations and using special characters.
However, the PSP font is stored in three files: font.en.dat, font.jp.dat and sjisascii.tab. The first is obviously the English one and the one that I think I have to edit, the second one is the Japanese
I am not sure about the format of the font files, but I am suspecting that they can be opened in a tile editor.

ShySpy said:
and the third... Something related to character tables, no idea if I have to edit it.
Can I get some help in this, too?
The third file maps the character codes to the letter images in the first two files. Basically it is saying something like "this image of the letter 'a' belongs to the 'a' character".

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've edited the maps' names with XVI32 and they show perfectly, thanks.
Now I only have to edit the font... But it doesn't look easy.

The person who is doing it has told me to write it myself because his English is worse than mine, or better said, my English is "less bad"... Ahaha.

I don't know many things about tileset and font hacking, but I will try to translate what he said:
Well, after having looked a lot, I have to say that there's a problem. The font is hard to edit and there's a lot of those damn kanjis. Besides that, a non-translated character, let's say "á", doesn't belong to a certain Japanese character, instead it varies depending on its location, which is a big pain, and even more those that don't show directly and show as spaces. There's where I don't know to which one belongs.

Oh, the English font can be edited viewing it at 1 bit per pixel, and the Japanese one at 2 or 3 bits per pixel.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The japanese text is in shift_JIS.
Anyway I will look into editing the font data later.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:17 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
You guys make me dizzy.
I'll lurk until you release stuff so I can grab my PSP.
I never really touched it :o

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:17 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Apr 19, 2010 at 5:00 AM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I mean mod wise.
Like new maps and stuff :o

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Schokobecher said:
I mean mod wise.
Like new maps and stuff :o
Every Cave Story mod (I think) can be played now in PSP with the tools that andwhyisit posted earlier.

The only problem is editing the font, which is a pain for translators D:
And there's also the PSP version menu... I don't know where's the menu options' text or (surely) sprites.

It will be nice to be the author of the first non-English/Japanese Cave Story translation in PSP :p

May 3, 2010 at 9:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 8, 2010 at 4:33 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hello, this is a pretty old thread, but not too old I hope.
I need some help..

I'm trying to get some mods to work on my PSP, but I'm having some trouble.
One of them is in english, so I copy the english data folder from andwhyisit's zip, and then overwrite the files with the data from the english mod I want.
Then I pack and compress and start up the PSP. But when I start, the select language option still pops up, and when I start, the starting map (not the original starting map) is all messed up.
I've also tried just copying the data from the mod and compressing it, but then the game wouldn't even start, obviously.
Then I tried deleting all the stages, npc's and content of the data folder, and then copy in the mod's data. To only keep what data the mod uses. But that didn't work either. So I don't really know what I should do to make this work.

I tried with a japanese mod too. Extracted the data_jp, and did the same thing, but for that I can't even get the mod to start. It just starts at the beginning of the game, like normal, except it's in japanese, reegardless if I chose english or japanese at the language select.

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Shilag said:
Hello, this is a pretty old thread, but not too old I hope.
I need some help..

I'm trying to get some mods to work on my PSP, but I'm having some trouble.
One of them is in english, so I copy the english data folder from andwhyisit's zip, and then overwrite the files with the data from the english mod I want.
Then I pack and compress and start up the PSP. But when I start, the select language option still pops up, and when I start, the starting map (not the original starting map) is all messed up.
I've also tried just copying the data from the mod and compressing it, but then the game wouldn't even start, obviously.
Then I tried deleting all the stages, npc's and content of the data folder, and then copy in the mod's data. To only keep what data the mod uses. But that didn't work either. So I don't really know what I should do to make this work.

I tried with a japanese mod too. Extracted the data_jp, and did the same thing, but for that I can't even get the mod to start. It just starts at the beginning of the game, like normal, except it's in japanese, reegardless if I chose english or japanese at the language select.
You need to port the map data from the exe to maps.dat and the relevant location in eboot.php.

Though can you tell me which mod you are trying to port? I am trying to port a number of mods to the psp (http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/2488/) and one more can't hurt.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:12 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
andwhyisit said:
You need to port the map data from the exe to maps.dat and the relevant location in eboot.php.

Though can you tell me which mod you are trying to port? I am trying to port a number of mods to the psp (http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/2488/) and one more can't hurt.

Yes, I'm trying to port the Boss Rush v24, which you then probably have already ported. http://www.mediafire.com/?mdfl1zfur2h

I'm also trying to port a japanese mod called Balrog Rush, which seems to be too old for the internet. But I reuploaded it here. http://www.mediafire.com/?te3mdzm5jwz

But I'd really appreciate it if you could explain how to port the map data and do whatever you meant to the eboot.php. I'm new to this, but I'd love to learn. And I've love to be able to convert mods by myself.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Shilag said:
Yes, I'm trying to port the Boss Rush v24, which you then probably have already ported. http://www.mediafire.com/?mdfl1zfur2h

I'm also trying to port a japanese mod called Balrog Rush, which seems to be too old for the internet. But I reuploaded it here. http://www.mediafire.com/?te3mdzm5jwz

But I'd really appreciate it if you could explain how to port the map data and do whatever you meant to the eboot.php. I'm new to this, but I'd love to learn. And I've love to be able to convert mods by myself.
Well here is Boss Rush v24:
http://www.mediafire.com/?i2wimvzziwz

Balrog Rush on the other hand crashes my psp, so I may need a bit more time to figure out the problem.

To get the map data you will need to use a hex editor. The file data/maps.dat (in your psp data folder) should give you an idea of what the search for in the exe, and the exact required length of this information. You then save it to "maps.dat" (must be the same length as original "maps.dat" file), and finally overwrite the map data in EBOOT.PBP with the contents of maps.dat. Depending upon the editor used you can end up with map data at the end of the exe file. In that case use that map data instead of the map data in the middle of the exe but be careful, the upper limit for maps is much higher in this case and you may not be able to port the mod due to size constraints.

Maybe it would just be easier to write two programs (extract and insert) that will automate this process because I suck at explaining this stuff.

Jul 10, 2010 at 4:03 AM
andwhyisit said:
Well here is Boss Rush v24:
http://www.mediafire.com/?i2wimvzziwz

Balrog Rush on the other hand crashes my psp, so I may need a bit more time to figure out the problem.

To get the map data you will need to use a hex editor. The file data/maps.dat (in your psp data folder) should give you an idea of what the search for in the exe, and the exact required length of this information. You then save it to "maps.dat" (must be the same length as original "maps.dat" file), and finally overwrite the map data in EBOOT.PBP with the contents of maps.dat. Depending upon the editor used you can end up with map data at the end of the exe file. In that case use that map data instead of the map data in the middle of the exe but be careful, the upper limit for maps is much higher in this case and you may not be able to port the mod due to size constraints.

Maybe it would just be easier to write two programs (extract and insert) that will automate this process because I suck at explaining this stuff.

That would be unbelievably helpful! I don't know anything about hex editing, altough I think I understand what you're saying I should look for. I might try it sometime, could be fun. But a program to finish it up would certainly make many people grateful!

Oh also, I think I should report this. I've noticed a bug in your ported Jenka's Nightmare. I realized I had missed the Blade in Genesis: Spirit, so I restarted my game. But when I got to Genesis: Sky and finally all the way to the door on the far end, the PSP crashes, as I try to go through. Or rather, the game crashes and I'm taken to the PSP main menu. I think there might be something wrong with either the door, or the map Genesis:Spirit.

I copied my save to my computer, and then played it there, and I was able to get the Blade just fine, so it's something in the PSP port.
Just thought I'd let you know. Great job on the porting, I love being able to play on my PSP instead of the computer! (:

And another BIG thanks for the Boss rush! That's beyond awesome! ;)

Edit: Alright.. Optimistically I opened the maps.dat and doukutsu.exe in a hex editor and the transition went like this:
(^w^) -> (owo) -> (o_o) -> (O_O') -> (._.') -> (T_T)

In other words.. A program would be nice! xD

Jul 10, 2010 at 10:00 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Shilag said:
Alright.. Optimistically I opened the maps.dat and doukutsu.exe in a hex editor and the transition went like this:
(^w^) -> (owo) -> (o_o) -> (O_O') -> (._.') -> (T_T)

In other words.. A program would be nice! xD

That's supposed to happen with a hex editor.

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Here's Balrog Rush as ordered:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zgqddemubmm

I'll have a look at fixing that door in Jenka's Nightmare and writing that mapdata extraction program later on.

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:38 PM
andwhyisit said:
Here's Balrog Rush as ordered:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zgqddemubmm

I'll have a look at fixing that door in Jenka's Nightmare and writing that mapdata extraction program later on.

Oh awesome! Thank you very much, it works perfectly! :p
I'm looking forward to more PSP mods from you, and especially the mapdata extraction! (:

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:36 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I'm bumping an eight year old thread because i can't get CSV Tools to work on my PC.
Running Pack.exe gives me the following error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b)."
This still happens when running as an admin and in compatibility mode for XP.

Is this software too old to work on a modern, Windows 10, 64-bit PC? I'm trying to port the latest Jenka's Nightmare to PSP, since the only ports floating around are of an older version.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:44 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Psp-rusgame replaced japanese language to russian. Can I replace boss rush japanese language files to russian, using psp-rusgame's translation? (Sorry for errors, my english don't good)