CS: Online

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:56 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
!!!

Wow, I was not expecting a screenshot...

What is this written in? I hope you aren't using the original. Of course, it's your choice.

Also, wth is up with those forums? Everyone doesn't seem to care about what's going on, they're all just bitching at each other. Mind you, I only looked at two pages, then stopped.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Fuck yes! And btw, is that a screenshot of a working demo/engine-in-progress? Cuz if so, sweet. And also the critter has a part of him that sits slightly underground, about 3 pixels, you should keep that in mind.
Erm, yeah the critter is slightly screwed up, he currently flashes through ALL the critter sprites/colors. And yes this is the engine.
Cyowolf1122 said:
!!!

Wow, I was not expecting a screenshot...

What is this written in? I hope you aren't using the original. Of course, it's your choice.

Also, wth is up with those forums? Everyone doesn't seem to care about what's going on, they're all just bitching at each other. Mind you, I only looked at two pages, then stopped.
It's written in game maker cause I can't code in C#.

Those guys on the forums are kinda on the fence, some despise cavestory, others love it (Hence the guy named Quote), so we fight a little in that thread.

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:07 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I vaguely remember someone making plans for an online Cave Story that had all the layouts and such drawn from the original, but with multilayer online capabilities.

A prototype got released, IIRC, but it seems to have disappeared from the mods section, to my knowledge.

Now that was a really good idea, there.

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
*Headdesk*
It was called Minnesan Monogatari (Don't quote me or call me on the spelling).
It was made by the now apparently defucnt Echidna Clan.
And the multiplayer was buggy as all hell.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, there was an idea for arena mode in this.
Subtraction Arena (name may change.)
also:
diph.php

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:31 PM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
sounds interesting :)

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:04 PM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I like this Online idea you have, I didn't know Game Maker would have that ability to access online material.

Maybe you could try to do something like Character Choosing and small customization. Of course, to get to kind of know who's who. I'm not really saying a shitload customization, but a small amount of it, such as re-colors of clothes, different starter hats, etc. Maybe different eye colors as well. Not only choosing robots, but maybe Mimigas and others as well, if you were to say making the game kind of like WoW, then maybe add another resistance that's against the Mimigas and the good robot soldiers.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:58 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Ralren said:
I like this Online idea you have, I didn't know Game Maker would have that ability to access online material.

Maybe you could try to do something like Character Choosing and small customization. Of course, to get to kind of know who's who. I'm not really saying a shitload customization, but a small amount of it, such as re-colors of clothes, different starter hats, etc. Maybe different eye colors as well. Not only choosing robots, but maybe Mimigas and others as well, if you were to say making the game kind of like WoW, then maybe add another resistance that's against the Mimigas and the good robot soldiers.
Character creation is somewhat in, but buggy. I'm debating about the Mimigas part, as I think that would be too much like WoW, but as many don't want to kill the cute little guys, it might be a possiblity. And who said you are the 'good robot soldiers'? You run around blowing the crap out of Mimigas.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:27 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Well for teams there could be
1. the scout robot (quote, curly, various others)
2. Hell's army (mesas, butes)
3. the killer robots
4. rebel humans
5. mimigas
6. guadis
7. The good battle robots (robots that assisted quote and curly, mysteriously dissappeared before their fight with the doctor)

That's about all I can think of.

And yeah, you can use GM to network. I should know, I've used it. Not quite proficient at GML, but far better than average.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:29 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
If I sent you a spritesheet of Scout Quote would you use it?
p22292-0-scoutisrobot.jpg

Nevermind the horribly drawn bat.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:37 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Woah, an actual demo...

Sweet!

I'm gonna go try it out now!

Edit: alright, not bad, has a number of glitches, such as falling down the top of the slope, wall "humping" (repeatedly pushes you back a few pixels, so if you go forward, you get sent back a few pixels), no ammo yet, no collision detection, and you can walk on the bottom, where there shouldn't be anything.

Not bad, needs a lot of work, though. Is this a one-person project, or are their several people working on it?

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:52 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Cyowolf1122 said:
Edit: alright, not bad, has a number of glitches, such as falling down the top of the slope, wall "humping" (repeatedly pushes you back a few pixels, so if you go forward, you get sent back a few pixels), no ammo yet, no collision detection, and you can walk on the bottom, where there shouldn't be anything.

Not bad, needs a lot of work, though. Is this a one-person project, or are their several people working on it?
One-man project, man. Just me, and a buncha spriters, but I don't count them.
Anyways to you're bugs:
Falling down the slopes: Yeah that's 'my bad', because I was trying to do all the slopes for 1 size, but I accidentally screwed it up (the tile isn't what you're falling through, in fact you aren't falling through anything.)

Wall "humping": This is due to the collision code I'm using that allows you to walk up and down those aforementioned slopes.

No ammo/collision detection: The ammo will be programed after leveling, and all the guns are made. (There are about 23-24 so that might be a little bit.) As for the collision detection, that will need to be programed after leveling, but before any other npcs are made.

Walking on the bottom: That level isn't finished yet.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Blu Dragon said:
Erm.
We already have scout quote.
OOooooohh... Can I see it?

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:11 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
The scout should have a bag and black pants, as well as a longer shirt.

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:28 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Um... I'll think about it.
But anyways, you can now kill the Critters and they won't give you seziures.
Yay?

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
any chance you could hook me up w/ the gm6/k of this?

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:00 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's a gm7 pro. However, I am enforcing a strict no source release policy on this game, as I don't want hackers. (Yes even when it isn't online yet.)

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:11 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."
Well... Could you at least have the spritesheets so people can modify/make their own skins if they need to be fixed/people want to create them?