CS on SNES

Oct 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Yeah, this thought has been on my mind for a long time now, but I haven't gotten around to posting my question yet cause I've been procrastinating(you gotta hate those).
Anyway, back on topic. I was wondering if it would be possible to port Cave Story over to the SNES(I'm surprised no one did it yet). I mean, sure one of the challenges could be size limitaions(cause SNES carts can only store, I believe, 64 MB), but it would not only be so cool to have a Cave Story SNES cartrige, but it'll also give me a valid reason to buy a SNES.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I was wondering this too. But Cave Story is 5 MB. I think.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
You would have to rewrite the x86 Cave Story executable as Ricoh Assembly to get it to run on the SNES.

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Oct 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I was wondering this too. But Cave Story is 5 MB. I think.
The snes carts can store up to 64 megaBITS, not 64 megaBYTES. That's equivalent to 8 megaBYTES.

Your right..
http://www.elearneng.../youryoure.html

Anyway, back on topic. I was wondering if it would be possible to port Cave Story over to the SNES(I'm surprised no one did it yet).
I can't see that happening. The following quotes from the following url should explain why:

http://doukutsu.livejournal.com/110531.html
Yeah - Cave Story's 8-bit presentation is remarkably deceptive. As even most 16-bit systems (except perhaps for NeoGeo) wouldn't be able to handle it due to sheer amounts of moving stuff on screen and the size of certain sprites.

Another great thing as you said is the amount going on. CS natively supports more OBJs than even the GBA can handle. While Pixel doesn't really use them all, it's theoretically possible to require some hblank fun (as seen in GBA Bullet Hell/Vulkanon)... to say nothing of the large NPC sheets, which during the bosses, would have required heavy swapping. On the DS, texture RAM was used, and the 3D repurposed as a blitter instead, leaving the CPU free for other things...

Watch those classics closely. There is a certain calmness, a paucity of sprites... dare I say even a general "lag" to some games, that is noticably missing from Cave Story. The SNES is great, I could gush over the RPGs and the music... but seriously you must be joking. It's not a fast system! (See also comments above. :p)

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM
But AndWhy, when I went to check the link, they're mostly talking about a GB port(I'm talking about a SNES port). Secondly, yes, it'll be really hard to do, but it's not impossible to do it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:15 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Idea: why not a SNES ROM opposed to an all-out SNES cartridge? The ROM would be more versatile, and would be playable via Android/IOS emulators

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:34 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Are cartridges not essentially the ROM in a physical form?
Actually, in Making the cartridge, you actually would have to pay for the circuit boards, plastic to cover the cartridge, and, of course, the SNES. The ROM, however, could be made, shared (via rapidshare, mediafire, etc.), and used for free. Plus, I've been trying to run CS on my Android...
EDIT: they pretty much are the same. Except, ROMS cost less to make, and are more versatile

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
But AndWhy, when I went to check the link, they're mostly talking about a GB port(I'm talking about a SNES port). Secondly, yes, it'll be really hard to do, but it's not impossible to do it.
Yes but they also go into 16-bit systems in general and the snes. The comments I quoted should explain it.

Essentially the snes wouldn't be able to handle the number of objects onscreen that cave story requires at the speed it requires it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM
I'm not implying that I can undertake a project like this 'cause, to be honest, I don't know Ricoh assembly. But thats not to say that I won't do it at all 'cause, once I finish school, muster up the motivation to study Ricoh assembly(and possibly make some knowledgeable friends to make my job a little easier), and put in the hours nessessary to make the port a reality, then heck yeah I'll do it.

Oct 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM
well, failing the SNES, would it work on the Nintendo 64? or playstation 1?

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I wouldn't even want to think about playing CS with an N64 controller. >_>

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I'm no coder or dev of any kind, but while Cave Story's chiptunes and retro graphics might not suggest it, it's a much more powerful game than most probably imagine. The smoothness, physics, and complexity of the on-screen characters and sheer amount without slowdown ALONE are much more impressive than anything I've seen in a SNES game ever.

That said, a port is PROBABLY possible, but aside from the typical knowledge and skill required, you'd probably have to rebuild a lot of stuff from the ground up, and even if it were done professionally by Nicalis (that would be seriously awesome for Cave Story's 10th anniversary or something, btw, though I highly doubt that would ever happen), it would likely be noticeably of less quality than any other version of Cave Story. The frame rate would probably be less, and boss sprites and the amount of enemies on screen might have to be severely reworked or reduced.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM
"Huzzah!"

N64 = hah. hah. hah. The N64 is a fruit box with a brick inside it. Plus coding anything for it is arse personified.

PSX = maaaaybe. Dev kits are easy to find, too.

As for carts, carts are just a storage device. You can buy blank carts for loading roms on cart-based consoles. A rom is nothing more than the data from the cart dumped into a file.

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:10 PM
N64 = hah. hah. hah. The N64 is a fruit box with a brick inside it. Plus coding anything for it is arse personified.

PSX = maaaaybe. Dev kits are easy to find, too.

As for carts, carts are just a storage device. You can buy blank carts for loading roms on cart-based consoles. A rom is nothing more than the data from the cart dumped into a file.
"arse personified" what?