Control-changing help?

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
So hey, I know there is already a thread about this but it didn't help me at all...

Basically I'm on a mac, love Cave Story but the controls make it near impossible for me to play it. Not trying to complain, but they do. I've tried going through the preferences, but it never works, and I've searched around for ages and still can't find anything. I've read about editing files that I can't seem to find at all.

I was wondering if someone could just point out what I'm missing? Simple (or as simple as it can be) step-by-step instructions as to what to do would be amazing.

Thanks, and please let me know if I've put this in the wrong place!!

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM
LSD
"..."
DoctorKibbles said:
So hey, I know there is already a thread about this but it didn't help me at all...

Basically I'm on a mac, love Cave Story but the controls make it near impossible for me to play it. Not trying to complain, but they do. I've tried going through the preferences, but it never works, and I've searched around for ages and still can't find anything. I've read about editing files that I can't seem to find at all.

I was wondering if someone could just point out what I'm missing? Simple (or as simple as it can be) step-by-step instructions as to what to do would be amazing.

So your controls aren't working correctly? What do you have the controls set to? I mean, they SHOULD work...
This is the right section by the way :p

Welcome to the forums :D

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think I didn't explain very well.... :\

The controls are set to default, and they work fine - arrow keys, X and Z. I just really want to change them because I have difficulty using that configuration. Basically I have very little use of my right hand and that kinda makes it uncomfortable.

I'd really like to swap the arrow keys over to WASD, and jump and shoot to space and left shift. Or jump to W, seeing as up isn't used for anything (is it?) and space for shoot. Something along those lines, I think.

Any help will be much appreciated! :p

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I can already predict Noxid saying you need a Hex Editor for this. When he comments on this, he'll probably need you to change some values, or something like that.

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Tpcool said:
I can already predict Noxid saying you need a Hex Editor for this. When he comments on this, he'll probably need you to change some values, or something like that.

That's what was said on the other thread. In fact, it may have even been the same guy, the username rings a bell.

If that's the best way to do it, can someone explain exactly what I would be doing and how to do it? The other thread seemed to be fairly unspecific.

I did download a hex editor, but I have a feeling it's a really bad one, and haven't got a clue how to use it regardless.

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
See, the problem here is that you're using a mac, and I can't help with that
Sorry.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DoctorKibbles said:

Set up a gamepad

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:23 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Key Remapping for Macs

I don't have a Mac with me so I have no idea if this will work.

It *should* be similar to GRebind or AutoHotKey for PCs, but of course I haven't tried it.

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:45 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Carrotlord said:
Key Remapping for Macs

I don't have a Mac with me so I have no idea if this will work.

It *should* be similar to GRebind or AutoHotKey for PCs, but of course I haven't tried it.

Thanks! Haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes. I did find GRebind on my searches, got excited, before realising it was windows-only. Couldn't find a mac version - I mustn't have looked very well.