Considering an editor...

Sep 18, 2006 at 8:59 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
caveoholic! said:
are you kidding do you really think I would be serious about somones grandmother wanting to make a cave story hack you really don't need facial expressions to figure that out
Indeed. As opposed to "grandmother" being a metaphore for "person with little technical knowledge" (an angle you've often used to attempt to discourage forcing the use of assembly) and your post being your protesting of the assembly-oriented turn theeditor is taking.Not that it didn't make any sense on its own as a joke - seriously, I'm in stitches man. :p Now that I know it was just a joke and all.

Or maybe it sounded far too aggressive and accusing to be a joke by any stretch of the imagination.

Or not. :D

Either way, I don't really care man. If it was a joke, you need to refine your sense of humor a bit. :p If it isn't, well, this is the internet - nobody cares. Just don't use the assembly-related aspects of the editor and enjoy the stuff that's just editing numbers and such. It's not like there are any in-depth editors for CS, so it's a gain for everyone even if nobody uses the assembly-related stuff. Just something to keep in mind.

Peace.

Sep 23, 2006 at 6:44 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
RuneLancer said:
Why not? This is code after all - you don't have to let the engine's limitations drag you down. ;) The problem is wether it's reasonable or not given what the rest of the game engine allows.

In this case, the biggest problem would be timing. Both the weapon and entity would have to overlap and animate with pixel perfect precision, unless you make one of them invisible.

Why you'd want to make a weapon that kills the player is beyond me though. ;)

Don't the spikes in the egg corridor hurt both enemies and the player?

Sep 24, 2006 at 5:55 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The stalactites kill the baby dragons I think.

Sep 24, 2006 at 11:32 PM
The Bartender
Those are entities though. Not weapons. They're completely different object structures, code-wise, even though there's no reason why an entity couldn't be coded to act like a weapon and vice-versa (though given that they contain different data, this could lead to difficulties.)

The difference is how they're spawned. An entity is either spawned via another object or by the map. A weapon object is spawned when firing a weapon. So you wouldn't be able to use the stalagmites as projectiles (for instance) Nor would a weapon be able to behave that way (though it could be simulated) without certain important modifications to the game engine, because of the data hooked up to weapon objects being insufficient to track all the stuff entities do track.

Sep 27, 2006 at 2:44 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
yeah, I went to tekhacks before it died. I was also at challenge games and dragon eye studios back in 2001 under a different name.

[offtopic] anyone know what to do at the beginning of metroid captive? I can't find the ball. [/offtopic]

Sep 27, 2006 at 7:32 PM
The Bartender
I've started implanting saving and such. Works just fine. The next step will be writing a decompiler (easy enough) and adding support for recompilation, and I,ll be able to polish off the weapon editor and move on to the other bits and pieces.

Lately I've been putting very little effort into this thing because...

1- Things seem rather dead around here.
2- I'm mainly busy with Endless Saga.
3- Two words: Giant Squid. Should be very self-explanatory.

But once I get a few aspects I'm hoping to complete ASAP done with ES, I'll be shifting back to this project for a short bit. Hopefully things will pick up on the CS hacking scene a bit by then, or at least I'll have my internet access at home by then. ;)

Sep 28, 2006 at 5:49 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
It's not dead. ;)
We're just lurking.

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:13 PM
The Bartender
We're not lost, we just don't know where we are. ;)

Well, either way I do look forward to posting a demo once I have the weapons section completed. ;)

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:59 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Cool, then i can try out some weapon assembly :p

Oct 15, 2006 at 4:39 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Can't wait for a demo of the weapons. I really want to play around with them.

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:53 PM
The Bartender
Softmints said:
Can't wait for a demo of the weapons. I really want to play around with them.
Well, I haven't touched CS in a few weeks, but things seem to be picking up again so that's motivating. I'm going to try to get something out for christmas.

As always, my priority is endless saga. Lately I've been working on the battle engine and various resource management tools - takes up a lot of my spare time. But the editor is already set up to allow saving edits made to the game outside of the assembly part. I just have to write a decompiler (doesn't that just sound terribly simple? ;) ) and tweak my compiler a bit, and it should be good enough for public use...

So, 2 months 'till christmas... :D To think I have two major projects awaiting a christmas release - can you feel the stress and tension? I sure can. :x

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeh me too! I have much to do for School >_<