Conection between boost 0.8 and Rope

May 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
So, sure by this time everyone knows you have to skip 0.8 booster when the professor falls from the sky if you want to, later, have the rope you need to save Curly from a certain death (sacrifice for you to live?) at the end of the Core boss fight.

Anyways, something seems unresolved (or maybe I havent gone far enoght in this): What has to do you taking the boost with the rope being there?

If there is no Established in-game logic or plot I can come up with something:
Maybe some misterios creature -perhaps a Cthulhu- was looking (lurking) for a way to climb/go down a cliff.

So, if you don't take the rocket 0.8 he finds that first and the rope is still on its place. But if you don't take it, that creature will look elsewhere and find and take the rope. Which is the reason you don't find it later.

What do you think? :confused:
Revelation all of this is solved before (if it is) and/or different speculative theories welcome :confused:

May 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I do believe he was aware of that, and was postulating why you can't get the rope if you get the booster 0.8

However, I thought you could, but there was something else you needed booster 2.0 for... like opening the hole in the floor

May 13, 2010 at 12:51 AM
Been here way too long...
But that isn't the focus of this thread cultr.

He noting that if you take the booster, the rope disappears, and if you leave the booster, the rope stays, and there is no apparent logic behind this. So he made a theory.

Was that really so hard to understand?

Someone who needs to climb is clever, but boosty would have to give them the .8, and we all know he finishes it later in the game.

May 13, 2010 at 3:43 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Hand of fate: Fate knows you need the Booster 2.0 to go through hell, so it makes the rope more visible to you if you have the chance to get it.

May 13, 2010 at 4:14 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Maybe if you have the booster 0.8, what actually happens is that the booster's flames/energy-circles destroys the rope by quote accidently using it.

That's the best I can come up with, seeing as the core room is sealed (has those shutters) and getting the booster only seems to kill booster and equip you with it.

May 13, 2010 at 4:29 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Clearly, your actions in-game affect the carelessness of Quote.

If you don't make the jump correctly, you have bestowed unto Quote a degree of carelessness. He will not notice the rope and disregard it as junk. Otherwise, if you can make the precise jump, Quote's thinking will be more exact, and he will notice the small yet sometimes important details such as the rope.

Also, I'm not sure your theory of the Cthulu/creature finding the v0.8 (if you don't take it) makes sense. Booster would have kept the v0.8 and fixed it up to create v2.0. Unless he somehow ditched the v0.8 and created v2.0 entirely from scratch.

May 13, 2010 at 4:38 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
carrotlord said:
If you don't make the jump correctly, you have bestowed unto Quote a degree of carelessness. He will not notice the rope and disregard it as junk. Otherwise, if you can make the precise jump, Quote's thinking will be more exact, and he will notice the small yet sometimes important details such as the rope.

Oh!

Maybe what it means is that if you make the jump, Quote has OCD. It takes some patience and a certain degree of more-than-normal attentiveness to your surroundings to make the jump (to see the red mark on the block). Obviously if he makes/notices the jump, he has OCD, thus granting him the power to find the rope.

It's a lot like that theory, but instead of not being careless, it means Quote has OCD (which is almost what would be required to figure out the good ending on your own).

May 13, 2010 at 6:49 AM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I always thought you could see it, but you can't collect after the core fight.

May 13, 2010 at 7:15 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Vercci said:
I always thought you could see it, but you can't collect after the core fight.

No, you've never able to collect it after the fight (like if you skip the booster but don't pick it up before, you can examine it but not pick it up). But if you get the booster, it's just gone, for no real reason.

Maybe Curly picks it up, since she sees that you have a lot with you, what with you already having a booster.

May 13, 2010 at 7:36 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I always thought of it as Schrodinger's Booster. He's both hurt and unhurt at the same time until you go down and see that he's hurt. In the reality where Quote gets the Tow Rope, it turns out he wasn't hurt so much after all and so was able to repair the teleporter. Also that thing about Quote being careful/OCD makes sense too.

May 14, 2010 at 2:59 AM
"Huzzah!"
The reason I thought Booster fixed the Teleporter was because he thought there was no one there who could go in his place to save Sue. So, he kept his will to live and fixed up the teleporter, seeing as it was his only chance to escape and save Sue.

Otherwise, if Quote checks on him, he leaves it all up to Quote, thinking that it's over for him and that Quote can take over and save Sue instead. If Quote ahdn't arrived, he would have thought there was no one to take over for him.

May 14, 2010 at 3:04 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Booster can't die without helping you, Sue can die.

May 14, 2010 at 5:18 AM
I like Mike's theory about professor survival, very sharp (however not so much to do with the booster itself), and also like the idea of Curly taking the rope, but then, Why would'nt she use it somehow to save herself, and/or why don't you find it on her after she passes away?

There is something I would like to tell. In the professor's notes, that you find in the Prefab House upside, I believe it kinda tells the booster 0.8 is a different object than the 2.0 ... like a prototype he will build first or something. He doesn't "not develop" the second booster directly because you you take the first one, he does not do it because he dies, which is even stated twice.

Oh, and a last thing. I did make the jump right at my first time (without knowing of the line or anything, hadn't read), but then deliberately jumped down to see the prof. (I'd figure out I would help him instead of killing him by talking to him...), and I guess many players would have done it too, so I don't think the OCD thing is a valid explanation :p

May 14, 2010 at 5:34 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
NimoStar said:
I like Mike's theory about professor survival, very sharp (however not so much to do with the booster itself), and also like the idea of Curly taking the rope, but then, Why would'nt she use it somehow to save herself, and/or why don't you find it on her after she passes away?

Hate to say it, but Curly doesn't seem to be the brightest fellow around. As we'd decided in another thread somewhere, Curly was probably what could best be described as a "heavy weapons guy," designed to tear through troops in battle while following orders without worrying about anything else. Quote on the other hand, had keener senses and a curious nature that would allow him to explore and scout around for the best solutions without putting himself in too much danger, seeing as he was built to be light and move quickly and quietly.

Combined with Booster's will to live and Quote's cunning, you could get the best ending. Once one of them loses them due to your actions ingame, there's no way to co-operate so effectively as the characters do when you get the best ending.

May 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM
Curly was probably what could best be described as a "heavy weapons guy,"

Maybe in acting, though I wouldn't call her a "guy", more like a robot girl much too human :D

Quote on the other hand, had keener senses and a curious nature that would allow him to explore and scout around for the best solutions without putting himself in too much danger

Perhaps, but the theory I was questioning was one that posited as Curly finding the rope at the core when you weren't looking at her. Which would imply she explored the place and picked up objects. And that doesn't fit with her overall, does it? Also, when she dies you get her shield. If she had the rope too, why that is not so? The rope ought to be somewhere.
I still think more probably someone or something else took it.
The Core was shouted close but a variety of monsters and stuff teleport, including but not limited to Misery, and Balrog made quite a number of surprise appearances too... :D
All we know for sure it seems is that something related to Booster 0.8 and/or the professor affects the cord somehow :p:p

May 14, 2010 at 12:14 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
How could she go in and look around? There are huge shutters that block the way, and Quote has to open them.

That being said, I agree with the theories that say Quote is more perceptive if he skips over Booseter, and about Booster keeping his will to live if
Quote doesn't find him.

May 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM
But after you open all the shutters (including the last big one), then you have to go back in order to pass and you can't actually see Curly.

However, I still digress about that Quote is more perceptive if he skips the booster. Wouldn't he naturally want to go to check Booster if he saw him falling? Or maybe he becomes a psychic and knows the future? :p

May 24, 2010 at 5:47 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think it might be that if you take the time to go help Booster, you take just enough time for the rope to be gone by the time you get there. The cause: the rising water washed it away while Booster died and you took the time to climb back up.

May 24, 2010 at 5:57 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Jdude said:
I think it might be that if you take the time to go help Booster, you take just enough time for the rope to be gone by the time you get there. The cause: the rising water washed it away while Booster died and you took the time to climb back up.

I like this theory. Seems more plausible than any of the current ones, and the most canon.

May 24, 2010 at 7:06 AM
"Huzzah!"