Community Project: Deity Project

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:23 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Lace said:
SCREW THE CORRECT TERM, I HAVE MONEY!
I think I've noticed the thread before, my real problem is just that I've never put enough time into it. I didn't have an absolute need and it wasn't productive enough for me. Now I'm determined though so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Mmmkay.
I just recalled you (maybe someone else?) having problems with the guide in the past, so I was alerting you to alternatives.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:34 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
Okay, as for map ideas we so far have a cabin in the mountains and a church. Now I propose a moving train. We can have the entity that shakes the screen and the two entities from the Ironhead fight to make the ground look like it's moving fast. I came up with something like that for my mod, but probably wouldn't be able to use it for a while. I was thinking a more fancy looking train with re linen and stuff... that has been virtually destroyed. There are a few trains out there that have two floors, so the map would be playable. Anyone have anything to say about that?

That actually sounds like fun, namely because it's a more interesting/unique location than your stock mall/graveyard/etc. locations. One problem though (and we could just handwave this bit with Rule of Cool as justification), how do 100 waves zombies hide onto one train? I know they don't appear all at once, but unless they're, like, falling onto the train from the treetops, after awhile you're bound to ask "Where the hell is this train keeping all these zombies?"

Hmm. How long would the train be? Would you be able to run across its entire length, or would the screen simply stop partway down? How hard would it be to keep the map from looking too repetitive between all the different cars on the train, while still making it accessible for enemies to get to you?

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:29 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
The only problem I see with a train is the awful linearity of the thing.
I mean, zombies come from only two directions, and those are the two directions you can go.

Unless it was a two-story train...

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:51 AM
I don't anymore.
Cripplechair said:
That actually sounds like fun, namely because it's a more interesting/unique location than your stock mall/graveyard/etc. locations. One problem though (and we could just handwave this bit with Rule of Cool as justification), how do 100 waves zombies hide onto one train? I know they don't appear all at once, but unless they're, like, falling onto the train from the treetops, after awhile you're bound to ask "Where the hell is this train keeping all these zombies?"

Hmm. How long would the train be? Would you be able to run across its entire length, or would the screen simply stop partway down? How hard would it be to keep the map from looking too repetitive between all the different cars on the train, while still making it accessible for enemies to get to you?

Well there are carts where people sit and on certain trains sleep, there are engine and coal carts, there are dining rooms and therefore kitchens, there's luggage storage areas, a roof of the train, the conductor's area, and it's two stories, "because there are trains like that" so it should have plenty of variety. Trains of that caliber tend to be made for long trips. For the amount of zombies, we can just make this our really hard map cause Nazi Zombies had one of those, "Five was the name I believe". Perhaps to explain the utter amount there can be a lower class area meant soley to store a bunch of people. For the backstory part I've been working on, this map will fit in perfectly. I've been trying to build it around the maps.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:48 AM
I don't anymore.
p127465-0-bkmoon11.png
Well I fixed it up a bit. Sorry, but broken builings like that REALLY bother me. Alot. Now can other people do some stuff? Lace, you mentioned your fear of comitment, so how about something small. I think a Spawner that runs on Tsc would be nice, or a few changes to the pignon's code.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Yeeeeeah, uh.... I ran out of 3G for my ipad this month and I still don't have wifi at my house but the 3G renews on the first so I'll try to post SOMETHING then.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
And hey guys i got an idea for a stage. Bassically you start the stage off in you're car or skateboard or anything and you're riding it through hordes of zombies.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:37 PM
I don't anymore.
Omega said:
And hey guys i got an idea for a stage. Bassically you start the stage off in you're car or skateboard or anything and you're riding it through hordes of zombies.

Huh? That doesn't sound like an expansive stage, or really a stage. More like a cut scene or a tiny area in a stage. Plus, I don't know how you would do a car and make it work in ASM.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:15 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Dang and it sounded like a good idea. But then again it would function well as a small little introduction to a level where you bassically start right outside you're car.

edit: and for that stage idea i mentioned one post ago i meant that you where in some method of transportation and you were shooting and jumping through the horde of zombies.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:04 PM
I don't anymore.
Omega said:
Dang and it sounded like a good idea. But then again it would function well as a small little introduction to a level where you bassically start right outside you're car.

edit: and for that stage idea i mentioned one post ago i meant that you where in some method of transportation and you were shooting and jumping through the horde of zombies.

Well the issue with that is that there isn't much to do with it. No doors to unlock or barriers to build and destroy. It's a decent idea, but would work better in an actual horror game.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Professional Whatever
Isn't this idea exactly the same as the train?
Well, maybe we could make a hoverboard sort of thing. We could use the same type of code as used for the ironhead battle.
Actually, we might be able to set the special boss as ironhead and just not BSL it!

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM
I don't anymore.
LunarSoul said:
Isn't this idea exactly the same as the train?
Well, maybe we could make a hoverboard sort of thing. We could use the same type of code as used for the ironhead battle.
Actually, we might be able to set the special boss as ironhead and just not BSL it!

We could but probably should not. It takes away from the survival part of the game.

Also, minor ASM hack, the little red disks that come from enemies when you hit them are changed to be affected by gravity, and their sprites are changed to look like blood.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
You don't even need to hack that. It already exists.
I forget what entity # it is but I used it in my own mod for when the player dies.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
You don't even need to hack that. It already exists.
I forget what entity # it is but I used it in my own mod for when the player dies.

So just change the entity then? Easy enough.

By the way, since your here, do you remember the max number of NPCs that can be on a map at once?

Also, for the enemies, since we're limited to a certain number of NPCs, after they die and run there death script, how about we just change them into 0 entities so they can be re-used later.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
The maximum number of entities onscreen is 0x200 or 512 for those of you who are bound to base ten. I guess technically 0x199 and 511 if you count the 0'th entity. Also, my earlier comment is slightly misleading since it's not really an entity, it's an effect (similar to those red circles you were mentioning). They're normally blue but I guess if you gave them direction 1 they'd be red. Or you can just change the blue sprites to red ones. Either way.
I can't really advise not removing the entities. If you just reuse them they will still have the same event/ID number, so for TSC that wouldn't work great. If you use a generator then they'll clog the map and you won't be able to do anything. My advice is to actually use a generator, and have one for each wave or whatever. Optimally you'll be able to specify like, how many things to spawn or something with its flag ID, and then don't use flagID for anything else.

Also, perhaps you're forgetting that I'm always here.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
The maximum number of entities onscreen is 0x200 or 512 for those of you who are bound to base ten. I guess technically 0x199 and 511 if you count the 0'th entity. Also, my earlier comment is slightly misleading since it's not really an entity, it's an effect (similar to those red circles you were mentioning). They're normally blue but I guess if you gave them direction 1 they'd be red. Or you can just change the blue sprites to red ones. Either way.
I can't really advise not removing the entities. If you just reuse them they will still have the same event/ID number, so for TSC that wouldn't work great. If you use a generator then they'll clog the map and you won't be able to do anything. My advice is to actually use a generator, and have one for each wave or whatever. Optimally you'll be able to specify like, how many things to spawn or something with its flag ID, and then don't use flagID for anything else.

Also, perhaps you're forgetting that I'm always here.

Well I figured reusing wouldn't be too much of a problem becuase of the <FL- command. Also, a generator wopuldn't work because the entites need to run events on their death.

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:57 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Why do they need to run an event..
You could set up a global variable (I s'pose it could also make sense to use the variables hack and use one of those) and every time an entity is killed, increment it. Then, set up another entity as a "watcher" that triggers its event and removes itself once the global is above the desired value (again, something I'd recommend using flagID to specify). That, combined with a generator that can output a certain number of enemies, will give you control when the wave ends/begins and such.

Sure, it SEEMS complicated, but it'd probably be a lot less work than what I think you're suggesting. Mostly because it requires far less TSC and flag micro-management.

Jun 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM
I don't anymore.
Noxid said:
Why do they need to run an event..
You could set up a global variable (I s'pose it could also make sense to use the variables hack and use one of those) and every time an entity is killed, increment it. Then, set up another entity as a "watcher" that triggers its event and removes itself once the global is above the desired value (again, something I'd recommend using flagID to specify). That, combined with a generator that can output a certain number of enemies, will give you control when the wave ends/begins and such.

Sure, it SEEMS complicated, but it'd probably be a lot less work than what I think you're suggesting. Mostly because it requires far less TSC and flag micro-management.

Good suggestion. I understand a MOST of what your saying. If you joined the project that would most likely be all you need to contribute, but I'm sure we can figure it out. Actually, of all the neccesary ASM hacks needed, that sounds like the most complex one. And it isn't all that bad so this seems to be going smoothly.

Jun 22, 2011 at 4:03 AM
Been here way too long...
Noxid said:
But that wouldn't be based on time! :0
Maybe I play too much tower defense, but generally having new enemies come in every once in a while rather than conveniently after you have killed them all leads to more panic, a more realistic (har har) game, and a better experience overall for the player. Whichever way works, but if you want to do time you'll have to throw out TSC and go with a small hack.

Something like:
Code:
push ebp
mov ebp,esp
sub esp,8
inc [ebp-8]
cmp [ebp-8],32
jne A
inc [ebp-4]
xor [ebp-8],[ebp-8]
cmp [ebp-4],[B]3A[/B]		(seconds til next wave)
jne A
xor [ebp-4],[ebp-4]
push [b]32[/B]			(event to be called)
call 421990 
add esp,4
A pop ebp
ret

Should work. That calls event 50 every minute. The event is w/ in head.tsc so that the waves can be global to all places, but you might wanna change it to a specific per map deal.

Uh.
Were we even talking about this?