Community Minecraft Server!

May 28, 2011 at 12:17 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Community Minecraft Server!

Sorry. My dad was using the computer in a non-idiot-proof environment (I wasn't there).

IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW:
Nether works in SMP. This means there is a very, very small chance of a ghast spawning on the other side of the portal.
Speaking of ghasts, monsters are turned back on. Have fun in the Nether!
The ceiling has been lowered by one block.
Boats don't go up waterfalls anymore. Yes, I JUST finished the waterfall entrance to my floating island. Fuck you too, Notch.

Because every step in the Nether is four steps in the land of the living, it's a useful shortcut, as long as you're protected from ghasts. Fun project: create ghast-proof tunnels in the Nether as a trans-dimensional subway. Don't worry, we got plenty of obsidian.

May 28, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

I believe it should be noted that Ghasts's can't break cobblestone or smooth stone, and can't see through glass.
So your building options are plenty.

May 28, 2011 at 2:29 AM

I meant obsidian for portals. Make sure you build them in the mortal realm, not the Nether, unless you want to put a hole through someone's building.

May 29, 2011 at 2:22 AM

I would like to mention that while 1.6 fixed a lot of minor bugs, it introduced a few major ones as well. I'm starting to question Notch's programming ability. Anyway, please refrain from right-clicking on things like doors and dogs. They may eat whatever's in your hand.

Also, the jukebox apparently now has fifteen songs to play. I don't know how this works, so maybe start getting skeletons to kill creepers and report the results.

May 29, 2011 at 2:31 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."

Somewhere on Reddit, I roughly remember an explanation on what's making tools disappear. If you drop a tool, then use it, that tool will be consumed. My sword disappeared after I picked it back up (I died by a creeper), and I lost a pickaxe after I accidentally threw it then used it. The temp solution I read was to put a dropped tool into a chest, then pull it back out. I think.

May 29, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Captain Fabulous said:
Also, the jukebox apparently now has fifteen songs to play. I don't know how this works, so maybe start getting skeletons to kill creepers and report the results.

The thirteen other discs have yet to be released, so it is advisable to wait until the next update.

May 29, 2011 at 1:30 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"

I have also seen custom records, so maybe in the future he'll release a program where you can do that and implement it into your server as an item.

May 31, 2011 at 8:40 PM

The server's been empty for a few days now, so... who wants to play Terraria?

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:22 AM
"..."

I haven't been able to connect to the server in awhile. Then again I've failed other server connects lately, so it might just be me.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:27 AM

The server's been offline for a while. Makes it easier to run fancy games. No one was logging on before I turned it off, and you're the first person to say something afterwards. I've been trying to think of a way to rekindle general interest in the server, and I think update 1.7 might be it. But before that, you all might want to make some maps, or find uses for hatches, or make sure none of the fixed bugs or new bugs broke anything.

I'll put the server up in the morning, because honestly, screw getting out of bed.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:40 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Nonsense

Captain Fabulous said:
I've been trying to think of a way to rekindle general interest in the server, and I think update 1.7 might be it. But before that, you all might want to make some maps, or find uses for hatches, or make sure none of the fixed bugs or new bugs broke anything.
If you want, there's always plugins.
I use a dozen or so on my server, minor ones right now. Pretty funny to have custom and randomized death messages to alert you when someone screws up, or the ability to actually get apples {And sometimes extremely rarely, golden} from trees, make every night or random nights Monster Hunt nights where everyone must try to get the most kill points to win awards you've preset, same basic deal with Gladiator rounds, restore the old Sponges, add exploding lightning or lightning that makes Cake, allow for the use of flaming arrows at the cost of Flint and Steel, easy-made ways to use noteblocks and make songs, meteorites raining from the sky, critical hits, Giants spawning naturally, and more. Those are just some of the ones I use, unfortunately a few still require updating for the new bukkit build {Bukkit being the server program}.
There are some much more advanced ones that I've yet to touch because I'm not ready to be done with vanilla Minecraft, but you could implement a working Vampire system, complete with fair Pros and Cons to being a vampire {Catch on fire in sunlight, take no fall damage, weak to wooden tools, strong in normal melee, etc} and a rather awesome blood system, which encourages some stealthly PvP. You can also get infected by other vampires. There's also the various RPG-like plugs that try to make it more like an MMO, or several different plugs that use various ways to add spell systems into the game, and etcetc.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could get tired of Minecraft.
Sorry in advanced if you already know all this, but if not, be glad to help.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:10 AM
Re: Nonsense

I don't have any plugins right now because I don't want to have them break with every update (1.6 would have been a nightmare), and because I want my clients to have the vanilla Minecraft experience. I also refuse to use any mods that require a client to download them unless we're doing a special adventure map.

As for adventure maps, my poor computer can't handle six people all running around a huge area, and I just don't want to go through all the trouble if only two other people can play. So that's why the server is building-oriented. If a rented server could handle a bunch of players, then I would consider doing some adventurey things.

Anyway, 1.7 is the adventure update, so all these hypothetical things wouldn't happen until after that. Projects that anyone can do right now are:
-Make trans-dimensional shortcuts to various places of interest.
-Make a map of the town.
-Minecart systems are super cool, so if you have an idea for that I'd like to discuss it. I'm pretty obsessive with public infrastructure though, so don't go building cart tracks willy-nilly or I WILL FIND YOU.
-Find something to do with that area out back that Fiddle_Diddles blew up (it was actually his friend using his account, this person has been berated). I hear no one's done Cave Story's theme with note blocks yet...
-Complete the Fabulous Dungeon of Whatever and Something. I'll still give you Nether materials for completing it, since glowstone's hard to mine.

About the Dungeon: anyone who has completed it and has not received their prize should tell me. Plunging to your death is not the grand prize, it's just really funny.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:17 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Now you're being too lazy

Captain Fabulous said:
I don't have any plugins right now because I don't want to have them break with every update (1.6 would have been a nightmare), and because I want my clients to have the vanilla Minecraft experience. I also refuse to use any mods that require a client to download them unless we're doing a special adventure map.
Not a single one of my current plugins broke during the 1.6 update, and only a few of the ones I tried adding a few days ago need a few more days to update. {That being the meteorite one} Not to mention plugins only require any work to be done on the server, there's no client download required, unless you're talking about a hybrid plugin/mod, none of which I listed, those were all simple plugins, most just drop-and-go.
Captain Fabulous said:
As for adventure maps, my poor computer can't handle six people all running around a huge area, and I just don't want to go through all the trouble if only two other people can play. So that's why the server is building-oriented. If a rented server could handle a bunch of players, then I would consider doing some adventurey things.
Actually never tried adventure yet, my server's also just simple SMP, all the plugins are made for that.
Also heard some servers can handle upwards of 300+ players, they go as far as to have ingame guilds and wars and such, but jeeze, that probably costs a whole lot to host...

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM
"..."

Captain Fabulous said:
The server's been offline for a while. Makes it easier to run fancy games. No one was logging on before I turned it off, and you're the first person to say something afterwards. I've been trying to think of a way to rekindle general interest in the server, and I think update 1.7 might be it. But before that, you all might want to make some maps, or find uses for hatches, or make sure none of the fixed bugs or new bugs broke anything.

I'll put the server up in the morning, because honestly, screw getting out of bed.

My memory might be failing me here, but I think one of the first failed attempts was before you said "No one's been on lately... anyone want to play Terraria?" Though usually I don't do a whole lot when I enter anymore, I mostly just see if there's anything new around.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:42 AM

I dunno, maybe I turned the server off before I said that. It is still a true statement. Though it turns out no one wants to play Terraria (MISSING OUT, GUYS).

If you want something to do, you can help me with my Fabuhouse and I'll share it with you.
May have to rename it to Fabuchair Place though.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova

Wishes to get fabuchair place png.png

Jun 6, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Captain Fabulous said:
I dunno, maybe I turned the server off before I said that. It is still a true statement. Though it turns out no one wants to play Terraria (MISSING OUT, GUYS).

If you want something to do, you can help me with my Fabuhouse and I'll share it with you.

Waitwaitwait you have a Terraria server up?

Had I known that I would've been over sooner D:

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I would have put up a Terraria server if anyone said anything. Too late, it's Minecraft again.

Jun 6, 2011 at 8:56 PM
Member Title
Re: Nonsense

Captain Fabulous said:
don't go building cart tracks willy-nilly or I WILL FIND YOU.

Erm... Sorry 'bout that... twice.

Jun 7, 2011 at 4:52 AM
"..."

Captain Fabulous said:

DOES THIS MEAN I'M CO-CHANCELLOR OF THE SERVER

And goddammit, I still can't connect. Maybe I should try reinstalling it or something... start murdering people because nothing I've tried is working.

Edit: Actually of the three I've tried, the CS one is the only one that's giving me problems now. Two others miraculously work all of a sudden.