Colour Schemes While Editing Sprites

Jul 9, 2007 at 10:53 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Why when I try to edit sprites from Cave Story do they always have to follow some rule of colour, mainly only colours that come from within the image. How can I change it so I can add any colours that I want to the image?

Jul 9, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Toe Fungus said:
Why when I try to edit sprites from Cave Story do they always have to follow some rule of colour, mainly only colours that come from within the image. How can I change it so I can add any colours that I want to the image?

Just save the BMP as a 8-bit, 16-bit or a 24-bit bitmap O_o

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:47 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Maybe I'm not understanding this, I want to edit the picture without having to change the file format bacause I can't seem to configure cave story to run with bitmaps and not portable. I've got rid of the hex (C)PIXEL thing aswell.

Jul 9, 2007 at 2:21 PM
Hoxtilicious
Toe Fungus said:
Maybe I'm not understanding this, I want to edit the picture without having to change the file format bacause I can't seem to configure cave story to run with bitmaps and not portable. I've got rid of the hex (C)PIXEL thing aswell.

Those aren't portable bitmaps :p

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Omg they're not? Why are they called pbm then? If you google pbm ya gonna get portable.

Don't worry I'l find out my own way.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:17 AM
"Huzzah!"
For some reason, the .pbm files are just renamed .bmps. Odd, eh? Ask Pixel. :p

And yes, you can save the .bmps as 16bit, 64bit... or anything really. There's no limit to the bitsize as long as the image is still in *uncompressed* .bmp format. Renamed, of course.

Have fun and stuff!

Jul 10, 2007 at 8:16 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
HUZZZAH, Never mind, I got it worked out, thanks

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:18 PM
Hoxtilicious
Xaser said:
For some reason, the .pbm files are just renamed .bmps. Odd, eh? Ask Pixel. :p

And yes, you can save the .bmps as 16bit, 64bit... or anything really. There's no limit to the bitsize as long as the image is still in *uncompressed* .bmp format. Renamed, of course.

Have fun and stuff!

For is no 64-bit :x

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:23 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Toe Fungus said:
If you can answer any queries, thankyou. Particularly the problem with Cave Story not opening bmps and how Sue's Workshop is being fussy. If you don't know about S.W then Is there a way to incorporate the new NPC flags into the older versions that only support pbm format pictures.

Thanks for any help.

I could be wrong, but there is a possibility the problem is in Advanced Batch Converter. Supposedly, you ran it to convert the PBMs to BMPs, but the PBMs that come with Cave Story are not Portable BitMap files. They probably stand for Pixel BitMap files. Either way, the PBMs included with Cave Story are the exact same as a normal Bitmap with the exception that, at the very end of the file, the string "(C)Pixel" appears.

Advanced Batch Converter is expecting an entirely different file when it converts, and thus this could cause errors in the conversion process. Instead of using that program, you can simply rename all the PBM files to BMP. If you edited the Cave Story executable to work without the (C)Pixel part, you might have to do this with all of the renamed PBM files and remove the string at the end, but I'm not entirely sure about that. I'd test it out after doing this, and if it doesn't work, try removing the (C)Pixel from the pictures.

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:34 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Osmose, that is probably the problem I had, as you can see, I've worked out the problem. Instead of using the quick abc, I just converted them manually by saving them as bitmaps. I'm so happy it works now, thanks for your help.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:03 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
i have a prob when i change the name to bmp, edit them (even incredibly simply, and using palette colors), and change them back to pbm, theyre corrupted, it shows like 4 different picture edges at once like the squares are offset, but i didnt move anything, just added a different face :p

i found out about the (C)Pixel thing just by renaming them to doc and looking at the end of the file XD but now that the game doesnt crash, i need help getting them to look right... any help?

Aug 2, 2007 at 4:54 AM
"Huzzah!"
I think the renaming to .doc is actually what messes things up. Though Word can open things fine like that, when saving it doesn't format it exactly how it looks... thus corruption occurs if you try to use this method for hex editing. Your best bet is to find a good hex editor (Google up "XVI32" for a winner) and use it to add the (C)Pixel.

Alternatively, to save yourself a *huge* amount of trouble, use the aforementioned hex editor, open your Doukutsu.exe (backup first!), and search for all instances of (C)Pixel in the .exe. For each character of (C)Pixel, change the corresponding hex numbers (left side) each to 00. It'll look like a bunch of boxes where (C)Pixel used to be, but after saving, you won't ever have to worry about hexing your image files again. Works like a charm for me. ;P

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:22 AM
Midorin
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
I'm trying to achieve the same thing, but somewhere along I must be making a mistake. I think I'm just having trouble when I try to make the PBM's, BMP's, or maybe getting the game to run with a BMP file, but i'm probably way off base. If it's not too much trouble could someone post a step by step to allow me to use more colors on the 8 bit files?

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:35 AM
Hoxtilicious
I made a batch converter for it but it seems nobody noticed it, alltough I posted it in 2 threads.